Computer problem

yamahor

DEAD MAN WALKING
Donating Member
Registered
So, I just re-installed Windows XP Pro on my laptop, and it runs MUCH faster than before (used to take almost 2 minutes to open an app, now about 5-10 seconds). But, when on the net, the pages have lag. Best way to describe it is instead of scrolling smoothly, it jumps up, with a roll effect. Anyone have an idea to fix it?

I'm running Firefox now, but it did it with explorer too...

hmmm check your graphic card driver driver

Oh, duh... go to makers website, find specific driver and install it.. normally you need to do this if you used a regular XP install disk and not the computers restore disk/routine.. the restore disk usually installs all the basic drivers already... May want to look at device manager and see if there are any issues showing up.

Yep - what Randy said - check the video card driver. You're likely using the generic one that ships with Windows...

Depending on your video card, you might check this setting... it has been known to cause issues on older machines

tools.JPG

Yeah defiantly sounds like a graphic card driver issue. You could also be low on memory and it is having to access the hard drive while your scrolling. But most likey a driver issue.

+1 Visit the makers website and download the latest drivers for you laptop. Sometimes for laptop they have all the drivers in one bundle. No real need to try to uninstall any other driver,just video.

*Note... If you installing just a video driver check to make you you have the old one removed(uninstalled),But by your description you don't have one installed. Installing over old one can create problems.

To check simply go to control panel, Appearance and Themes, Display, Settings tab, Advanced , Adapter tab, Properties, Driver tab, Uninstall. Then shut down the pc/laptop. Start her back up and from your documents where your download should of been saved and double click on the new driver. It should now install itself.

Hope this proves helpful.

Good luck!

I think it's his retroencabulator. Perhaps a quick mitilization of the comcapulator would festestisize the framaction of it for greater utilization. If that fails, dump the obnosticator twice, then reboot clearing the plentication quantum buffers.

and install the latest graphics driver

I think it's his retroencabulator. Perhaps a quick mitilization of the comcapulator would festestisize the framaction of it for greater utilization. If that fails, dump the obnosticator twice, then reboot clearing the plentication quantum buffers.

and install the latest graphics driver
We're not talking about the new Chrysler transmission...

I've looked all over on the Compaq site and could only find sales stuff... Anyone know somewhere else to look?

gimme the model number of your system? i do this stuff all the time.

also, if it's kinda older/slower consider giving OPERA browser a try.  it might be faster, slightly less requirements, and does some sweet things also.  Also GOOGLE offers a web speeder upper ap, but i haven't messed with it much.  the theory is sound and Google dont make junk usually

OH OH OH another thing is to switch back to Standard Windows GFX mode, not the cooler looking XP theme

gimme the model number of your system? i do this stuff all the time.

also, if it's kinda older/slower consider giving OPERA browser a try. it might be faster, slightly less requirements, and does some sweet things also. Also GOOGLE offers a web speeder upper ap, but i haven't messed with it much. the theory is sound and Google dont make junk usually

OH OH OH another thing is to switch back to Standard Windows GFX mode, not the cooler looking XP theme
It's a Compaq Presario 2700. Yes, it's a 2001 model... Gotta love the old, slow stuff. lol

Already did the oldschool windows theme switch.

pick one?

» Compaq Presario 2700AP Notebook PC
» Compaq Presario 2700EA Notebook PC
» Compaq Presario 2700GR Notebook PC
» Compaq Presario 2700LA Notebook PC
» Compaq Presario 2700SC Notebook PC
» Compaq Presario 2700T Notebook PC
» Compaq Presario 2700TC Notebook PC
» Compaq Presario 2700US Notebook PC

And now it won't go to standby... Either when I close up the laptop or when I go to click on standby (The standby icon is there, but not clickable...)

Ben, did you use the system restore or just an XP disk? When you use the "system restore" it puts any number of utilities, drivers and programs back to the way the system was on day one.. Just using an XP install disk (generic) does not usually work all that well on laptops unless you have dloaded the driver package..

Lucky for most that the drivers are bundled into universal driver packs, if you get the wrong one, it will normally tell you that you have the wrong drivers.. then you can download an alternate pack..

Generic 2700 Drivers

there is the link for drivers.. IF there is a "BIOS" driver... leave it alone please... Audio, network, video and assorted others are usually pretty much plug and play..

Start at the top of the list and work your way down.. anything else you are unsure of, LEAVE ALONE... if it aint broke, dont be fixin.... Audio/Video and if you are already using it to surf the net, NO network drivers..

When you reinstalled Windows did you tell it that it was being installed on a laptop? (I think that option is there)

Thanks WWJD and Randy. WWJD, I honestly don't know.

Busaman, it didn't ask....

on the bottom of the laptop is the full model number. usually on a sticker with a bunch of other numbers and words and junk. try Bogus's driver link or find the SPECIFIC version of 2700 on the bottom label and try the link I posted. if you did the fresh install, that is THE BEST way to do your system, but you will need to add a couple drivers. Good luck

Thanks for the help guys! Got it fixed! It's a Presario 2720us, got all the drivers I needed, and all my noticed problems are fixed.

Thanks again!
bowdown.gif

Back