craigntx

Registered
http://www.wfaa.com/sharedc....31.html
BRETT SHIPP / WFAA-TV

Video

Brett Shipp reports
July 3, 2008
More News 8 video
View larger E-mail Clip More Video IRVING - Those driving down the road without an insurance card of driver's license with a correct address may find themselves in jail if they get pulled over by Irving police.

In fact, it happened to two women who were pulled over by the same two Irving cops last weekend. Both women said their traffic stops turned into a nightmare.

Mikki Stokes, of Irving, said she was headed to the store for some sour cream when she was stopped by two Irving police officers.

She was initially stopped for not making a complete stop when exiting the parking lot. Stokes second offense was that her current address was not on her Texas driver's license. However, she said she never dreamed that those two minor offenses would result in her being cuffed and stuffed into the backend of a squad car.

"And I was like, 'Is this something that someone with no criminal record would get arrested for, that's never been in trouble for anything [and] that's not a persistent offender?" she said. "I've never been in trouble before. Why are you arresting me for this? And they were like, 'We can arrest you for anything.'"

Two hours later it was Leanna Onstott, of Fort Worth, who became the next target of the same two officers.

"And he said, 'You are under arrest,'" she said of when she was pulled over without have proper proof of insurance in her car. "And he turned me around and put handcuffs on me and I was just like, 'Is this really happening? I mean, can they do this?'"

Onstott was originally pulled over for creeping her car past the pedestrian crossing line.

Neither woman had outstanding warrants or had ever been to jail. Yet, Stokes said she spent two hours behind bars. Onstott said she spent five hours in jail before posting a $600 bond. However, none of that was what Onstott said was the worst part of her arrest.

"They asked me to take off my clothes," she said.

Onstott was then forced to put on jail clothes.

Both women have filed internal affairs complaints against the two Irving officers Daniels and McPherson. While Irving police officials said their concerns are being taken seriously and will be thoroughly investigated, they also said the officers were within their rights to make the arrests.

"The discretion that was used, the decision to make the arrests, it's well within their authority to do that," said David Tull, with the Irving Police Department. ".... I don't know that you could say it's common, but it's not unheard of."

Regardless of how the investigation turns out, both women said their faith in Irving police has been shattered.

"I think if someone can't get them to stop abusing power and pulling people over and doing stuff like this because they think they have the right to, then they don't need to be in that job," Stokes said.

Onstott warned motorists that as long as officers can arrest whoever they want for what they want, Irving is not a desirable place to drive.

"I just want to know why they didn't give me a ticket," she said. "The public needs to know that it's happening and it could happen to them if it happened to me."

E-mail bshipp@wfaa.com

bs.gif
Just because they can doesn't mean they should. Extremely poor public relations period!!

This is yet another case of the small minority of police giving a bad name to the majority. These guys are clowns, and I am sure there is a lot of face to palm action by thier fellow officers over this one.

I am also willing to bet that both of the women were at least decent in the looks department. Talk about good public relations... I drove through that town once. Got pulled over for 5 mph over... Ticket and a have a nice day for the out of state plates. This just reaffirms my reasons to never go back.

And there is usually another side of the story. There are exceptions, but I doubt it is accurate of what happened.

I left Texas two years ago and will never go back. We should put a fence around Texas and demand that the Mexicans take it back!

I left Texas two years ago and will never go back. We should put a fence around Texas and demand that the Mexicans take it back!
rock.gif
Are u kidding me??
Moved to Idaho Falls. Very few cops. Lots of twisty and straight roads. 60,000 people. Zero pollution and terrific mountainous scenery. Summer temps seldom get above 85.

I had to return to Texas June 21. The minute I got off the plane the 102 degree 80% humidity was like a slap in the face. I agree with civil war general Sherman. He said if he owned hell and Texas, he would live in hell and rent out Texas.

I hate to hear stories like this. It doesn't help how I already feel about a lot of cops. I think too many get into it for the power and it has something to do with their genuine personality.

The Federal Highway Administration recommends that police tolerance never be less than 5 MPH. See 66 FR 29855 (``setting and enforcing rational speed limits'').

66FR 29855
Guess I shoulda just gone 4 mph over... I think I was no where near that 95 percentile. Would have probably gotten pulled over either way.

But that was a very informative read, thanks

I don't have much symmpathy for people driving without licence, insurance and registration.  
rock.gif
ditto, If they would have had their stuff straight then things would probably have gone the other way. Granted the LEO's have made some bad judgement during the arrests but you must realize the truth of the matter, they did not have the proper identification that they know they should have and they had to pay for it. Plus there is always 2 sides to the story and I can gaurantee we are not privledged to that info and are only hearing one side to the situation.

I have been pulled several times on the bike and never once have I received a ticket, and all times I was in the wrong but if you show that you have all your ducks in a row then most of the time the LEO will show some respect and decency towards the citizen.

While I agree with you loboboy, there is always those few, you know the ones, who either are having a bad day, or just a-holes in general who do it just because they can.

I personally have always kept my ducks in a row, and yeah, it's saved me from most tickets. That one was really frustrating because I wasn't the fastest moving car, and I was just cruising 5 over (every LEO I have ever talked to will ignore 5 over unless there is something else to draw their attention). I think it was the out of state plates that he saw as a easy win. Can't fight a ticket in Texas if I am in California (was stationed there at the time).

I don't have much symmpathy for people driving without licence, insurance and registration.
rock.gif
yea, they seem to be the ones that get in the biggest crashes... total disregard for the laws of the road? I could see missing your insurance or license renewal but they had to know they were totally illegal on the road... Why should I have to pay all my dues and they run around for free?

You are right on that one Mr Bogus... And they are always the worst drivers... Why?

Oh well, maybe when I find where to order my rocket launcher Mod I can start taking care of them...

Back