Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
Haven't tried it myself but:

> > how to remove a tick ....
>
>
> Please forward to anyone with children, or hunters, etc.
>
> A School Nurse has written the info below -- good enough to share -- And it really works!!
>
> I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick. This is great, because it works in those places where it's sometimes difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of dark hair, etc. Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and let it stay on the repulsive insect for a few seconds (15-20), after which the tick w ill come out on it's own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away. This technique has worked every time I've used it, and it's much less traumatic for the patient and easier for me. Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this would be damaging in any way. I even had my doctor's wife call me for advice because she had one stuck to her back and she couldn't reach it with tweezers. She used this method and immediately called me back to say, 'It worked!' Please pass on; everyone needs this helpful hint.

Cool, I will try this on the next one. My poor pup comes in with them all the time. Thanks
thumb_up.gif

Can't hurt to try...it's only liquid soap. It's not as if it's suggesting to use kerosene and a match.

Have you or anyone here actually tried it?

Also, whatever made Snopes such an authority on what's true and what isn't? It's mostly opinion anyway.

Q: I know something listed on your site really happened (or is otherwise true), but your site doesn't list it as true. Why not?

There are several reasons why this might be so:

* We rate an urban legend as "true" when there is sufficient evidence to indicate that the legend began with a real-life event. If the actions described in an urban legend play out in real life after the legend has begun circulating, that is not an example of what we consider a "true" urban legend; it is a phenomenon known as "ostension" (and when someone deliberately enacts the events described by an urban legend, that is known as "pseudo-ostension").

Many urban legends describe events so general and plausible that they might very well have happened to somebody, somewhere, sometime. But since the origins of urban legends can seldom be traced to specific, identifiable occurrences, we rarely categorize such legends as "true."

* Many of the texts we discuss contain a mixture of truth, falsity, and exaggeration which cannot be accurately described by a single "True" or "False" rating. Therefore, an item's status is based upon the most important aspect(s) of the text under discussion, which is summarized in the statement made after the "Claim:" heading at the top of the page. It is important to make note of the wording of that claim, since that is the statement to which the status applies.

# Many legends present events that may have taken place in real life only a few times (or once, or even never) as if they were frequent and regular occurrences, and we make a distinction between "This once happened" and "This is a common, on-going occurrence." For example, many warnings circulated by e-mail caution readers to be wary of some form of crime or other hazard that is claimed to be a widespread occurrence but actually has taken place only in a few unrelated, isolated cases, possibly in the distant past. Therefore, even though the event described may be "true" in the strictly literal sense that it is known to have occurred at least once, the underlying claim (i.e., that the event is a regular, widespread phenomenon) is not true.

One of my good friends tried it on their child. Didn't work. They actually only got the body off. Thinking they got the entire tick, left it alone. The child got sick. Took them to the doctor. Turned out the head was still embedded, and the child got very ill from the tick's saliva and stuff. Sick for a month until they finally caught it and got the tick out and the right medicine. If she had just used tweezers, it would have been a much better chance to get the entire tick and her daughter would have been fine. No one is trying to disparage your theories against you personally. Just trying to keep you or your child or your friends from potentially getting sick when you try a method that won't work. It is better to have all the information before you make a decision. So, I use tweezers and I get the entire tick every time my kids come home from camp or if my dog has wandered too far!

One of my good friends tried it on their child. Didn't work. They actually only got the body off. Thinking they got the entire tick, left it alone. The child got sick. Took them to the doctor. Turned out the head was still embedded, and the child got very ill from the tick's saliva and stuff. Sick for a month until they finally caught it and got the tick out and the right medicine. If she had just used tweezers, it would have been a much better chance to get the entire tick and her daughter would have been fine. No one is trying to disparage your theories against you personally. Just trying to keep you or your child or your friends from potentially getting sick when you try a method that won't work. It is better to have all the information before you make a decision. So, I use tweezers and I get the entire tick every time my kids come home from camp or if my dog has wandered too far!
Huh? No offense to your friend, but 'Duh!' I figured anyone would have the common sense to make sure the head was removed and if not use tweezers. My personal feeling is that this may just make it easier to remove the head with tweezers.

I'm not taking anything personal. It's not like I came up with the theory. My very first words stated I have never tried it myself.
winkold.gif

Back