NHRA GOING 1000 FT RULE CHANGE

NIGHTFLIGHT

Banned
Kinda hard get used 2 as A fan

I know if it prevents any more deaths its worth it.

I have row 1 starting line tics for indy sat+sun+ prefered parking + couple extra parking 2 give to my friends.

I go every year i love nitro
face7.gif

IMG_5231.jpg

http://s171.photobucket.com/albums....312.flv

http://s171.photobucket.com/albums....261.flv

NHRA wants the speeds down and I can tell you that the teams like the rule... parts attrition is a real pain in the a$$

A national event Fuel team has a substantial budget and many are in the $30,000 per pass neighborhood... (and that includes qualifying runs, so you can blow 6 figures and not even make the show..

by clicking them off 300' early, it will reduce parts usage by a measurable amount..(so it is hoped)

I am still not sold on it but hey, if it can allow one or 2 more teams to run full schedules, then it will be worth it..

What they need and have needed for years (as the speeds increased) are longer and safer runoff areas. They realized that a bit late for Kalitta.
heart_broke.gif

A lot of drivers do NOT like the interim change in the rules and personally I was disapointed that Garlits was for it. He mentioned aerodynamics as a problem more than speed or crunched motors. I also don't have any interest in 1/8 mile drags and 320' less is not going to hold my interest in fuelers either.

not real happy with the 1000 feet rule but it is only a interim deal until they can figure out something else, so i dont mind it to save lives for now but only a quick fix to an ongoing problem

It's an interim measure for the nitro classes only ... but the speeds this weekend at Denver were still up there.

What they need and have needed for years (as the speeds increased) are longer and safer runoff areas.  They realized that a bit late for Kalitta.
heart_broke.gif

A lot of drivers do NOT like the interim change in the rules and personally I was disapointed that Garlits was for it.  He mentioned aerodynamics as a problem more than speed or crunched motors.  I also don't have any interest in 1/8 mile drags and 320' less is not going to hold my interest in fuelers either.
Shutting them off 320 ft earlier gives them a 320 ft longer shutoff area without haveing to bring in the heavy equipment. I didn't much care for the shorter runs. It seemed that more of the drivers were in favor of "restricter plate" racing in the NHRA (a mechanical means of limiting HP). It would make it more of a finess sport than a brute force and $$$$ sport. Hole shots and car setup would mean alot more if the cars were limited to the same top end.

speaking first hand, the last 320 feet is usually the "endurance" part of the fuel motor.. it uses up parts but provides little increase in speed..(still pulling 1G in the lights however) Most fuel is burned doing the burnout and back up.. engine parts go away at half track and beyond..

Keep in mind many 1/4 tracks were originally built when a fuel car "might" hit 200mph (First dragster to hit 200mph was Mickey Thompsons crew chiefed by my mentor Famous Amos Satterlee)

I think the safety margin this shorter race provides is minimal at best (would not have made any difference in the Kallita crash) but they (NHRA) has to make some move to figure out what to do..

Sand pits were the "orginal" arrestor traps but I suspect it is going to turn to something like you find on an aircraft carrier for arresting aircraft without hooks, they have used similar system but it is going to need improved..

300mph in 4 seconds is dangerous, most old school guys are way too familiar with the danger... new guys? not so much so, Don was one of the big turning points in "Fuel Racing" safety when his car blew in half taking the better part of his foot with it..
127FordSouth2006C103DonGarlits-BillHolbrook.jpg

"Don was one of the big turning points in "Fuel Racing" safety when his car blew in half taking the better part of his foot with it.."

And the sanctioning body didn't shorten the track or slow down the cars. During his rehab Don essentially designed the rear engined top fuel dragster as we know it today.

From what I've heard and read, one of the Biggest issues also is the Cost. As the Snake said, the Cost has gotten WAY out of hand. And now we're just hoping 18 teams can show up at a race. Whereas, the common Joe out there can NEVER see himself racing at close to the top levels. When everything is hand made, you've got troubles. Look at NASCAR, over half of the teams now have 3 to 4 MAJOR Sponsors for different parts of the season, because NO ONE Sponsor can spend that kind of Money for a Two or Three Car Team.

On the other hand, I don't see where the Ticket Prices are going anywhere but UP
sadnews.gif

It was strange watching/ listening to the races this weekend. It seemed like the rhthym was thrown off running only 1000 feet.

I agree on all accounts.... the cost is becoming outrageous. A friend of our family (Larry Gould) used to run back with Garlits and Muldowney and he towed his Ford front engine dragster in a plain jane trailer behind his Ford truck. He funded his racing with the profits from his Local Garage/ shop doing oil changes and repairing people's cars. Do you think Tony Shumacher could do that now? It is outclassing the people that STARTED the sport. Cut back on the custom/ one off parts and it will slow the cars down... 2 birds with one stone.. and you can go back to 1/4 mile. I agree SAFETY equipment should not be skimped on.... but step back and look at where the sport came from... the good ole' boys.

It was strange watching/ listening to the races this weekend. It seemed like the rhthym was thrown off running only 1000 feet.

I agree on all accounts.... the cost is becoming outrageous. A friend of our family (Larry Gould) used to run back with Garlits and Muldowney and he towed his Ford front engine dragster in a plain jane trailer behind his Ford truck. He funded his racing with the profits from his Local Garage/ shop doing oil changes and repairing people's cars. Do you think Tony Shumacher could do that now? It is outclassing the people that STARTED the sport. Cut back on the custom/ one off parts and it will slow the cars down... 2 birds with one stone.. and you can go back to 1/4 mile. I agree SAFETY equipment should not be skimped on.... but step back and look at where the sport came from... the good ole' boys.
if you had told us it would cost us $30,000 per run 25 years ago, I would have fallen out of the trailer laughing...

I agree on all accounts.... the cost is becoming outrageous. A friend of our family (Larry Gould) used to run back with Garlits and Muldowney and he towed his Ford front engine dragster in a plain jane trailer behind his Ford truck. He funded his racing with the profits from his Local Garage/ shop doing oil changes and repairing people's cars. Do you think Tony Shumacher could do that now? It is outclassing the people that STARTED the sport. Cut back on the custom/ one off parts and it will slow the cars down... 2 birds with one stone.. and you can go back to 1/4 mile.  I agree SAFETY equipment should not be skimped on.... but step back and look at where the sport came from... the good ole' boys.
if you had told us it would cost us $30,000 per run 25 years ago, I would have fallen out of the trailer laughing...
EXACTLY!!!

I'm not sure Larry's WHOLE CAR cost $30,000!!!!!

hijack.gif

from http://www.draglist.com/stories/SOD%20Jun%202001/SOD-062901.htm

Drag Racing Story of the Day!
Larry Gould -- Fuel Fords Forever!

By Bret Kepner
Photo by Ted Pappacena

Larry Gould drove this SOHC Ford Powered Dodge Charger Funny Car.
Photo by Ted Pappacena

For our June 19 Picture of the Day, Ted Pappacena submitted this photo with the following information: This photo was taken at the U.S. Funny Car Championships at New York National Speedway on August 8, 1973. It is a SOHC Ford powered Charger. I would like to know if there is anyone out there who could give me more information about the car. Who owned and drove it and why the odd power plant? This is the only shot I have of the car. Talk about a "wacky racer!"

Well, with Bret Kepner just an email away, the answer to obscure drag racing questions is not the problem it used to be. Here's Bret's response. bp

...not a huge mystery. It's Larry Gould of Belleville, IL, at the wheel of the Kling & Gould "War Wagon" '71 Charger, equipped with, (as always), a Ford SOHC engine.

This is the car in which, during another visit to NYNS in '75, Larry recorded the fastest speed ever for a Ford-powered AA/FC at 6.54/236.22.

Originally, the car was Don Nicholson's #2 Eliminator '68 Cougar, which had been run only a handful of times and parked after Nicholson reverted to his A/MP Mustang in 1969. Gould purchased the car, but vaporized the body after a supercharger explosion at a '72 match race at Lakeland International Dragway in Memphis, TN. He bought the Charger body as a replacement when he was unable to find a Ford body quickly enough to fulfill his match race dates.

The Charger body was painted with a very detailed mural and the title "Trojan Horse", (a reference by lifelong Ford fanatic Gould to what was under the Dodge 'glass), but very serious threats by phone from then NHRA FC World Champ Larry Fullerton convinced Gould to rename the car after only a few weeks.

Gould split with Kling and continued running the chassis, (with a later red-on-white Mach I body), until 1977, when Larry debuted a flamed blue SOHC-powered Mustang II, followed by his Ford EXP in 1983, (which eventually was driven in the late 1980s by Al Herring), still using a SOHC engine until '88, when a KB Chrysler Hemi was finally installed.

Gould parked his EXP when match race dates dried up in 1992. In 1998, he teamed with neighbor and longtime A/FD and AA/DA racer Fred Bach to campaign a Dawson-chassised front-engined SOHC AA/FD, which they run to this day. In 2000, they finally eclipsed Pete Robinson's 30-year old 6.50 record for cast-iron Ford engines with a best of 6.23/235. Yes, that original 236.22 mph speed, clocked by the same car at the same track as in the original photo, is still the all-time Ford mark.

Hope this helps. Case dismissed.

larry_gould.jpg

Back