How do cars know

PandaNin

Donating Member
Registered
Case in point:

The 2003 Focus ZX3 has 95,000 miles on it. It has a 5yr/100,000 mile warranty.

Yesterday evening wife gets in to come home from office. CLANK CLANK CLANK. In her infinite wisdom she calls a tow truck. Being infinitely wise as she is, she has it towed home instead of to the dealer 2 blocks away. $110 tow bill instead of freebie through AAA

This morning I get it towed to the dealer close to home (freebie!AAA). I'm thinking 100,000mile warranty, we good. Um, no, the 5yr part expired 2 months ago!!!!

As soon as they found it's not under warranty all concerns of expediency went out the window. It sat there all day today and didn't even get the hood opened. I called and found out, "we might get to it tomorrow". Every other time it's gone in and it's warranty work it's out that day.

So I still don't know exactly what's wrong. I suspect a worn rocker. Price could be anywhere from $500 to $5,000 at this point. Oh, and worse part of it all? Wife is driving the 928! I should've rented her a rental.

(sorry so long, had to tell somebody)

Oh that just sucks man! I really hope it's nothing serious.
banghead.gif

Dealer just called, 4 mins before end of day.  How nice.

Took valve cover off finally, no issues on topside.  Needed permission to tear motor apart and pull head tomorrow.  If they pull it, they have to machine it.  Most likely a valve got stuck.  Minimum $3K.  I told him if the estimate goes up to $5K to park it out back so I can use it as a target.  At that point car is worthless.  

guns.gif

Estimated retail for 2003 Focus ZX3 in good condition $4000-$4300.

Find another place to fix it , screw the dealer. You can find new motor for 1000 and another 500-700 for install.

Thats not true. I have a dodge ram and tuesday the real axke locked up, snapping the drive shaft clean off. I thought someone had ran into the back of me but it was my axle tearing the bottom of the truck up. My warranty is good to 09 and 90k, The truck has 87k. Hhaha.
beerchug.gif

lucky for you; glad you're truck estimated wrong and decided to let loose with a few miles left to go.

I don't want to go the motor swap route and deal with all the headaches associated. My wife needs the car so I can have the 928 back in the garage. I'd rather pay to get it done right then deal with the headaches otherwise. And NADA lists it as $5K value. That's why I picked that as the limit. With this it should go another 5 years without issue like it did this time so I figure it's money well spent.

I'll know more tomorrow night I hope; please oh please
please.gif

Go to the mechanic and offer him cash to fix it on the side with his discount on parts. Then sell it.
thumb_up.gif

lucky for you; glad you're truck estimated wrong and decided to let loose with a few miles left to go.

I don't want to go the motor swap route and deal with all the headaches associated. My wife needs the car so I can have the 928 back in the garage. I'd rather pay to get it done right then deal with the headaches otherwise. And NADA lists it as $5K value. That's why I picked that as the limit. With this it should go another 5 years without issue like it did this time so I figure it's money well spent.

I'll know more tomorrow night I hope; please oh please
please.gif
NADA value.... Nobody use NADA value but insurance companies.

Here is some inside information how much you car cost

Look closely at the picture

This is actual sales figures. For $5000 you can get brand new engine installed with 36K miles warranty. You transmission will be old, so is the rest of this Ford with another problems.
I`d fix it cheap in independent shop and trade it in.

Untitled_1.jpg

There might be something to this. Tomorrow morning I'll swing by and "see how the car looks"

Thats odd for a dealer wanting to go into a motor now a days.. My buddy works for a Ford dealer and they wont go into a engine just replace it.

Back