Men's "Fashions" ???

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
*** Disclaimer: I will be using the term Gay as it's most popular common meaning today: homosexual. I am not using it in a condescending or negatively judgemental way. I am using it to differenciate between gay man's fashion sense and strait man's fashion sense. nothing more. That said, this disclaimer will probably cause a big stink and get the thread deleted. whatever.

ANYWHO.... I'm used to having a girl around when it comes time to pick new clothes. That time is here and I am girlfriendless! I did find a female volunteer who seems more than eager to prove her fashion prowess in the shopping arena and we are hitting some places this weekend. But before that, I figured I'd check out current trends in men's fashion, so I can kinda know what I am looking for and talking about.

I pulled up 'GQ' which is kinda my first choice for the modern metro look - sophisticated, rich, well groomed - kinda like I think I try to look... I went to their "STYLES" section and found MOSTLY guys that look and dress completely gay [* please reread disclaimer above]. I pulled up more pages.... gay gay gay. Strange, frail looking creatures that are obviously the weaker sex and who's women wear the pants, bring home the bacon, manage the money, the lawn and change the oil in the 4 by 4s. What the heck? Not to mention, that NOBODY in reality dresses like that. examples
http://www.gqstyle.com/TheCollections/Photos/Default.aspx?ShowID=6423

I do not want to look gay! [read disclaimer again] nothing wrong with the look, but it is not for me. Do any strait guys buy this stuff? Does anybody wear this anywhere on the planet? I simply prefer attracting women, not other men.

So I skip over to Men's Health thinking they would be more in line with reality. They seem to have more classic looks, which is fine, but I have that covered.

Being in Iowa, we are always 2 to 5 years behind coastal trends, but this seems a bit over the top. Even for you Californians. Of course, I could go into Sears or Target and get some generic stuff that looks exactly like the next Sears and Target shopper, but being single means needing to standout a little bit and attract the females attention [I know you married guys are all past that crap] so I'd prefer to be a little upscale. but not gay.

I assume these pics are like women's fashion - completely silly and no one really wears them except once by some multi billionaire's wife to a classy dinner party where everyone is all about showing off how much money they spent on thier clothes and not whether it looks good... but where can guys find info about fashion for the normal guy world? It's weird that I have never really looked into this before.... usually the women have decent taste and find some good stuff for me.

[sigh] I guess I need a woman for something afterall ;)

I've bought stuff from International Male before but now even it looks to gay
http://www.internationalmale.com

GRRRRRRRRRR!!! frustrating Hopefully Saturday will be fullfilling

EMS work atire,, EMS pants, button down short or polo shrt, and side zip boots..(whae I am working as a medic that is)

Apple bees atire, Jeans black shoes and a black polo shirt..

the above are "dressed up" for me..

Give me some cargo shorts, a t-shirt and flip flops and i am happy..

Last time i had on a tie was the service for the 9 fallen Charleston firefighters.

oh and if i walked in the house wearing any of that stuff on that web site Jessica would throw me out.

You could follow this guys dress code and attract some female attention. This girl is kind of hot and she sure didn't miss this guy in a crowd.
whistling.gif

mince.jpg

Here's a tip for ya....the magazines you're reading tend to be read mostly by gay guys...
rock.gif
rock.gif
whistling.gif

rock.gif

Time to face facts...you're getting old. As you get older, what is "trendy" is no longer appealing.

GQ is a gay magazine? ? I always thought it was pretty average. Maybe I am not keeping up. jeeez! and here, I thought I WAS hip. Oh well. Back to Gorman's and Target's Wassimo collection

Dude,
Just go ahead and buy a complete wardrobe from International Male. Who knows, your life might change because of it.
whistling.gif

True, real haute couture (highest fashion) is never seen on the street (except in photo shoots); rarely makes it off the catwalk/runway; and is only worn by a fraction of a percent of people.

My advice on this subject is to buy quality basics and mix them up in your own style...this will make you stand out in an appealing way.

I agree on the models (male and female), though. They're all waifish bulemic-looking cartoon characters...always have been.

Yuck.

Good luck with your quest...

Looks like black & white is in. I think it's cool to dress up every now & then. I rely on my gay friends to tell me when an outfit "doesn't work"
cool.gif

I have been dressing hubby for years, it is one of my favorite things to do...LOL!(when he wears the clothes that are bought, not just the comfortable ones). I was going to make some suggestions, but remembered that you do not want to look like a "married" guy.

hey, if the "married guy" look attracts women, I'm down with it. HA!
biggrin.gif
I've heard a RING is a great attractant... for the exact kind of woman I have no interest in.

Suggest away! Des Moines kinda sucks, but I try to stay ahead of our curve here a little bit and usually find stuff. But I'm never buying $80 jeans again. Last pair lasted about 8 months! The $20 ones work great and last years. I usually buy cheap so I can recyle into new trends easier on the wallet

Back