Anybody own a 1998-2000 Honda Civic?

Busaman5000

Donating Member
Registered
Ive been looking for a little bomber car for a while that gets good gas mileage and would be fairly comfortable for long trips. I think I have found one.

Its a 1998 Honda Civic EX with the automatic transmission. It only has 40,000 miles on it and the carfax looks perfect, one owner and has all documented maintenance. The place that is selling it is asking $8000 for it, which I think is to much. However it is right in line with the blue book value for suggested retail price beleive it or not. I was thinking I would offer $6000 and perhaps meet him in the middle some where. Assuming the car is in as good of shape as it looks in the pictures.

The car is about 200 miles away from me though. I am wondering what exactly I should look for in this model year as far as problems or concerns, that might be obvious if I know what to look for. Every car maker has problems here and there but Honda's seem to last forever. So finding one with this little miles seems to be a gem.

If it has one of those street racer fart cans on it, stay away!
hey my Del Sol has a ricer can!!

Seriously though.. PM DocDrop (my hubby was a former Fast and Furious Officianado
tounge.gif
)

DELSOL2.jpg

lol.  Yeah beleive me I will.  I HATE those things.  Also if it has a 40ft wing on the back I will stay away, or any mods for that matter.
hey.. wings are an indication of horsepower!!
rofl.gif

There are some ragged out Civics out there though.... usually they are easy to spot.. body kit, lots of mods.... my baby (Del Sol) was saved from a life of Rice-iness (I like to think of her as a rescue)... I'm just waiting for the exhaust to rust off so I can finally get a stock exhaust and HEAR THE RADIO AGAIN!
rofl.gif

rofl.gif

PM DocDrop....he is a mechanic and he worked on these things for 4 years straight..... (not just the ricers) and knows most of the ins and outs of them.. if he can't answer the questions, his co-worker is a former HONDA DEALER mechanic

lol.  Yeah beleive me I will.  I HATE those things.  Also if it has a 40ft wing on the back I will stay away, or any mods for that matter.
hey.. wings are an indication of horsepower!!
rofl.gif

There are some ragged out Civics out there though.... usually they are easy to spot.. body kit, lots of mods.... my baby (Del Sol) was saved from a life of Rice-iness (I like to think of her as a rescue)... I'm just waiting for the exhaust to rust off so I can finally get a stock exhaust and HEAR THE RADIO AGAIN!
rofl.gif
My car came with a wing from the factory and I took it off.

rofl.gif

i work for honda dealer and the older civics are great cars. the mileage for the car you are looking at is very low. you can't go wrong with civics.drive it for a few years and you still can sell it and get a great money for it.8000.00 maybe too much to ask.
what to look for:
1. find out who is the owner and why so low mileage for 10 years old car. make sure there is no playing with odometer. get a dmv report find out how many ownwers and if there are more than one, check the mileage on dmv report.this way you can tell if it has been messed with.
like any other used car, you always take a chance but with civic you will have alot less problems.

good luck.

I've had a lot of them. They don't have any common problems.

Thats way too much for a 98 though. I sold my 98 EX civic a few years ago for $6000.

Well, I just sent him an offer for $6500. We will see if he accepts. $6500 is still more than I want to pay but with such low miles I figure its worth a few extra bones.

I bought a 97 in 98 and put 100k miles on it. it was in a front end hit that nobody acknowledged, but they must have rebuilt it right. it has run great ever since. it needed a timing belt at 60k or so and that is costly, but otherwise it has been a trooper. I'd buy another used one in a second. I figured this one would be dead after 10 years because I drive it "fun like" but it is still great. I would bet I could get another 100k out of it. highly recommend if it's in good shape. I dont look at MPG anymore but I think on my last KC trip it was 35 - 40 range, in town maybe 25 [but I wrap it out when I drive]

good cars
thumb_up.gif
...problems i`ve seen are -rear wheel cylinders leaking-cv boots-front wheel bearings-p/s hose leak-oil pan gasket leak-fan relays and an occasional fuel pump. if it`s in good shape just do the timing belt and water pump when needed and change the oil and it will last you many miles..

I don't know about problems but my 17 year old son bought a 98 2 door civic with 69,000 miles 6 months ago for 6400.00. Real clean with several kid type mods.
Rims and tires
Flow Master and chrome tip
Cool air intake with K&N air filter
Chrome tail lights
Tints
See if you can get him down some. He wants more but the mileage is less. My son hasn't had to put a dime into this car.

Back