RIP Scott Kalitta

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
He died today after a 300 mph qualifying run crash at Englishtown. From Conrad (Connie) to Doug to Scott, Kalittas have been a name in drag racing for decades.

ENGLISHTOWN, N.J. - Scott Kalitta died Saturday when his Funny Car crashed and burst into flames during the final round of qualifying for the Lucas Oil NHRA SuperNationals at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park.

The NHRA said the 46-year-old Kalitta "â€￾ the 1994 and 1995 Top Fuel season champion who had 18 career victories, 17 in Top Fuel and one in Funny Car "â€￾ was taken to Raritan Bay Medical Center in Old Bridge, where he died a short time later.

Witnesses told The Star-Ledger of Newark that Kalitta's Toyota Solara was traveling at an estimated speed of 300 mph when the crash occurred.

The Palmetto, Fla., resident started his career at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in 1982. His father, Connie Kalitta, was a longtime driver and team owner known as "The Bounty Hunter," and his cousin, Doug Kalitta, also drives competitively.

Scott Kalitta is survived by wife Kathy and sons Corey and Colin.

NASCAR Nationwide Series driver Brad Keselowski "â€￾ a native of Rochester Hills, Mich., about 20 miles away from Kalitta's hometown of Mount Clemens "â€￾ learned the news from a television report Saturday afternoon.

"That really hits close to home," Keselowski said after winning the pole position for Saturday night's race at the Milwaukee Mile in West Allis, Wis. "(He was) a friend of my family's, and I send my thoughts and prayers out to him. That's tough to hear."

OMG, 've been to PLENTY of NHRA races down at Houston Raceway Park. Seen him run a number of times.

RIP indeed sir! Prayers going out to the family!

This is nothing to joke about, but I found the crash and will share it here....PLEASE pray for this family!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
man that sucks!!!! he was a cool dude ,talked to him a few times at e-town and dinwidde when i was racing. i hate to say it but they need to slow these cars down some..prayers to the family.

If not slow the cars down, do like Pedregon was saying in the interview...

LENGTHEN THOSE RUN-OFFS!! Did you see the run-off at the end of that track? it was practically non existant.

You can tell from the video that he was swerving the car side to side attempting to slow it down before the run off. He had to stil be concious after the initial explosion.

Still watching on ESPNEWS

If not slow the cars down, do like Pedregon was saying in the interview...

LENGTHEN THOSE RUN-OFFS!!  Did you see the run-off at the end of that track? it was practically non existant.
+1 yea there didn`t look like there was much run-off there and was that a wall he hit!!! i`ve been down that track a few times myself (never in anything that fast) and i don`t remember any wall down at the end?? too many guys getting hurt/killed in these cars lately,usually starts with an engine bang..maybe they also need to look at lowering the nitro percent again?? damn shame

sad.gif

Man what a waste, stupid accident. Probably little doubt he survived the explosion but hitting that wall was brutal, much more run off needed or some sort of gravel trap.

I'm surprised the guys would even run on such a dangerous track.

R. I. P.

May he rest in peace, and God give strength to his family.

And I agree with the runoff ... been to Englishtown a number of times. With all these advances in the cars, you wonder why they still run on stone-age-technology tracks? Chances are he survived the explosion ... he pulled the chute but it burned up, and I'll bet he ignited the extinguishers. It's that damn wall at the end that ended his life. It's about time that the drivers start complaining--like the complaints that the F1/MotoGP drivers/riders and teams lodged, which resulted in pretty safe runoffs. Seems that 325 mph in 4.5 seconds deserves a pretty long shut-down area.

Back