Apparently when you carry a concealed gun

yamahor

DEAD MAN WALKING
Donating Member
Registered
So, I went for a walk late tonight with a couple friends (Cameron and his GF Brittany). Well, Britt was freaked out about people possibly hiding. After the walk, she was telling us how freaked out she was someone would jump us, and Cameron told her "don't worry, you have 2 full grown men, and if that doesn't work, Ben will shoot them" ( I trust Cameron, he knows I carry). Well, we were talking about me carrying when another coworker (Derek) comes up and we talk about other things. Britt brings it back to my gun when Derek flips out all anti-gun style. "Why do you need to carry a gun?!"
"For self defense, if my life is threatened or I or another is about to be maliciously wounded, I will shoot said attacker"
"When has a gun needed to be used? Really?!"
"Ummm... How about the woman who gets raped and shoots her attacker"
"She shoots and he stops, huh?"
"Yeah, dead in his tracks"
"Would you shoot me?!"
"If you were raping someone, yeah."
(at this point, Cameron, a long time friend of Derek's agreed with me, as did Britt)
"Man, when you carry a gun, you're looking for trouble!"
"No, I'm looking to defend myself if needed. It will never be drawn unless it's a life or death situation"
"Man, if someone wants to take my life over something, they can."
"Good for you, I'm fighting back"

At this point, he got mad he was the only one on his side and left.

So, according to the all knowing 21 yr old man, I'm looking for trouble by carrying concealed... Even though I stay as far from trouble as possible...

By the way, I have my license, safety course, and am constantly reading on how to improve my skills and practicing at the range if I need to draw.

Hollywood is killing the gun community. But thats another thread...

Here in Illinois we can't carry. Only the criminals do. I have to keep mine unloaded inside an approved case in the trunk with the ammo away from the gun. I guess it is better than not having one at all.

When I was a Younger Man.. I Used to Carry a Loaded Gun all the Time... Did'nt care about the Consequences. Now that I am Old Man (38) and have Grand Kids ...... I Have Learned that it's Easier to Read a Person, know that there is NO DANGER of them actually Shoting the Weapon that They Have, then I just KICK THERE AZZ'S FIRST, Take the Weopon, and Call the POLICE !!!!  MUCH EASIER, Less DRAMA  
bowdown.gif
easybutton.png

Here in Illinois we can't carry.  Only the criminals do.  I have to keep mine unloaded inside an approved case in the trunk with the ammo away from the gun.  I guess it is better than not having one at all.
You're kidding right? An unloaded gun that you can't get to is nothing more than a paperweight.

Here in Illinois we can't carry.  Only the criminals do.  I have to keep mine unloaded inside an approved case in the trunk with the ammo away from the gun.  I guess it is better than not having one at all.
You're kidding right?  An unloaded gun that you can't get to is nothing more than a paperweight.
Most of the time the sight of one is all it takes (loaded or not). It would only take me about 40seconds to get it out and loaded if I was expecting trouble. It does suck though, but I really don't want to get busted with a loaded gun in the car around here.

How can I legally transport a firearm on my person or in my vehicle?
There is more than one way to legally transport a firearm. However, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, it is recommended all firearms be transported:
Unloaded,
Enclosed in a case and,
By persons who have a valid FOID card.

What constitutes a legal "case" for transporting a firearm?
The Criminal Code refers to "a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container." However, the Wildlife Code is more specific, defining case as "a container specifically designed for the purpose of housing a gun or bow and arrow device which completely encloses such gun or bow and arrow device by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened with no portion of the gun or bow and arrow device exposed."
How do I transport a firearm through an Illinois community with an ordinance that prohibits firearms or handguns?
Illinois' Unlawful Use of Weapons law does not preempt local ordinances from banning firearms. Persons carrying or transporting firearms through such communities could be subject to local firearm ordinances. It is recommended that you contact local authorities regarding their firearm ordinances.
If a non-resident is coming to Illinois to hunt and would like to bring their firearm, how do they legally transport it?
Non- residents must be legally eligible to possess or acquire firearms and ammunition in their state of residence. It is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, non-residents transport all firearms:
Unloaded, and
Enclosed in a case, and
Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state.

Is it legal to have ammunition in the case with the firearm?
Yes, so long as the firearm is unloaded and properly enclosed in a case.
I have a friend/relative who has a "conceal and carry" permit issued in the state in which they reside. Is the permit recognized in Illinois?
No. Non-residents are subject to Illinois law, restrictions, and penalties, and should be familiar with them if the non-resident plans to bring a firearm into the state of Illinois.
What is the definition of a firearm according to the FOID Act?
"Firearm" means any device, by whatever name known, which is designed to expel a projectile or projectiles by the action of an explosion, expansion of gas or escape of gas; excluding however:
(1) any pneumatic gun, spring gun, paint ball gun or B-B gun which either expels a single globular projectile not exceeding .18 inch in diameter and which has a maximum muzzle velocity of less than 700 feet per second or breakable paint balls containing washable marking colors;
(2) any device used exclusively for signalling or safety and required or recommended by the United States Coast Guard or the Interstate Commerce Commission;
(3) any device used exclusively for the firing of stud cartridges, explosive rivets or similar industrial ammunition; and
(4) an antique firearm (other than a machine-gun) which, although designed as a weapon, the Department of State Police finds by reason of the date of its manufacture, value, design, and other characteristics is primarily a collector's item and is not likely to be used as a weapon.
Do I need a valid FOID card for a muzzleloader or blackpowder gun?
Yes. In Illinois, muzzleloaders and blackpowder guns are considered firearms.
What constitutes an unloaded muzzleloading firearm?
According to the administrative rules associated with the Wildlife Code, the definition for an unloaded muzzleloading firearm is as follows: "Removal of percussion cap or removal of prime powder from frizzen pan with frizzen open and hammer all the way down or removal of prime powder from flashpan and wheel un-wound or removal of prime powder and match with match not lit shall constitute an unloaded muzzleloading firearm." (17 Ill. Admin. Code, Sec 660.30)
Can a person who has been convicted of a felony in the state of Illinois ever be eligible for a FOID card?
Applicants who have been convicted of a felony are ineligible to receive a FOID card. However, an appeal procedure is available in accordance with 430 ILCS 65/10. Contact the ISP Firearms Services Bureau at (217) 782-7980 for further information.
Is a person who has been convicted of domestic battery/ domestic violence eligible for a FOID card?
According to Federal and State laws, anyone who has been convicted of domestic battery/ domestic violence is ineligible to possess a FOID card. This prohibition also applies to police officers and those in the military. Contact the ISP Firearms Services Bureau at (217) 782-7980 for further information.
If a person is subject to an active Order of Protection, are they eligible for a FOID card?
According to Federal and State laws, anyone who is subject to an active Order of Protection may be ineligible to possess a FOID card. Contact the ISP Firearms Services Bureau at (217) 782-7980 for further information.
Does Illinois have a waiting period for firearm purchases and does it apply to private sales? Yes. Illinois law requires withholding the delivery of a concealable weapon (i.e. a handgun) for at least 72 hours and a rifle, shotgun, or other long gun for at least 24 hours. This applies for gun dealers and private sales.
At what age can I purchase a long gun? Handgun?
In Illinois you must be at least 18 years of age to purchase a long gun and at least 21 years of age to purchase a handgun.

Carrying around a firearm for the average person is silly. You are better off avoiding areas with a higher statistical probability of violent crime. If you live in a quiet neighborhood and stick around quiet friends you should be alright. On the other hand if you rub elbows with thugs and hoodrats, kill at will.

Sure, there are the occasional mall shootings and what not, but what are the odds that you will be a victim to this type of violence?

The best thing you can do is keep your head under the radar. I know that for big guys like myself and Ben, that is a difficult proposition, but it has to do more with posturing rather than appearance.

Those gun pron mags sure do have a bunch of entertaining albeit poorly written stories submitted by hillbillies and wannabe cowboys.

Those gun pron mags sure do have a bunch of entertaining albeit poorly written stories submitted by hillbillies and wannabe cowboys.
"Armed Citizen" in the NRA's "National Rifleman" magazine is a classic section like that. Reminds me of this guy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Carrying around a firearm for the average person is silly. You are better off avoiding areas with a higher statistical probability of violent crime. If you live in a quiet neighborhood and stick around quiet friends you should be alright. On the other hand if you rub elbows with thugs and hoodrats, kill at will.

Sure, there are the occasional mall shootings and what not, but what are the odds that you will be a victim to this type of violence?

The best thing you can do is keep your head under the radar. I know that for big guys like myself and Ben, that is a difficult proposition, but it has to do more with posturing rather than appearance.

I don't understand your logic on this one. Kind of like telling us all that carrying a spare tire in our cars is a bad idea and as long as we drive on good roads and don't run over debris we should be ok. I guess I've got just a bit more boyscout in my blood and like to be prepared. In my mind better to be prepared for the worse and not need your resources than to be caught off guard and wish you had planned better.

Fact of the matter is we live in a world that is unforgiving and uncertain. Times have greatly changed and there are many who place little or no value on human life.

A law abiding citizen carrying a concealed weapon is less of a threat to public safety than an unarmed thug in my honest opinion.

I agree, Illinois has some ridiculous laws especially when it comes to guns. With any luck we will some day get this changed. Being law enforcement I never leave the house without a firearm, working or not. With that said I also firmly believe those who are law abiding citizens should have the same luxury to protect themselves as I do.

Those who will use a gun to commit a crime will use that gun regardless of any law. Those same people who will use a gun to commit a crime will think twice before using a gun if they believe someone may shoot back. Concealed carry in itself deters crime.

No offence Ben, but as soon as you shoot someone, you will be going to jail. Why you ask?
Because the laws are very poorly written. They are written for the criminals to get off. The jurors themselves are morons, and the whole system is corrupt...

No offence Ben, but as soon as you shoot someone, you will be going to jail. Why you ask?
Because the laws are very poorly written. They are written for the criminals to get off. The jurors themselves are morons, and the whole system is corrupt...
You think we are bad in the states? Try living in England...
laugh.gif

kinda off the subject...yesterday I went to Gander mountain... they have an Armalite AR50!
bowdown.gif
Holy Excrement batman- that thing looks like it just came out of Halo!!! you can reach out and touch the badguy at a mile away
cool.gif
any how, I'm all for c&c, even though I don't carry.
beerchug.gif

I do not carry concealed, but this argument you had and is devolping in the thread is exactly why I don't tell anyone about the my firarm proximity and loaded status except for my father. In todays society there are more young people that were not raised around firearms than those that were. In my OPINION the biggest offenders of anti gun movements are from those individuals that were not raised around, or trained properly, about firearms and they simply do not understand it or are scared of them. I am an avid firearm owner and shooter, but personally I do not agree with concealed carry for private citizens unless we are in time of war in our own borders. I do however support the ability to carry ASP's (police battons) with training certificate. They are good enough for European police forces as a primary weapon, they would be affective non deadly weapon for private protection. I carry one in the Busa and in the car.

Do I cc? Yes. Do people know about it? Typically no.
Am I afraid to use it? No.
Go where I've been, see what I've seen, walk in my shoes and you would too, sorry the world is FULL of awesome caring people, but unfortunately it's also full of predators....better Judged by 12 than carried by 6.
guns.gif

You obviously do not live in Orlando, FL. We have a decent city but there are pockets of crime-ridden areas all over the place and there is not a way to avoid all of them. I choose to carry because if I'm going to become a stastistic, I'm going down fighting. The odds of becoming a victim of a serious crime are approx. 20 to 1 in metro areas; I don't like those odds so I'm trying to even them up a bit.

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Carrying around a firearm for the average person is silly. You are better off avoiding areas with a higher statistical probability of violent crime[/quote]

So, everyone should have stayed home that day @ Virginia Tech?? ?? ??

If and when I carry, I dont go around to bad neighborhoods trying to play vigilante citizen, but I know that if SOMEONE had been carrying on VT's campus that day, and said person was close enough to the shooter, 38 people wouldnt have had to die! I'm in by no means saying that EVERYONE would have been saved, but not all 38 of them would have had to lose their life.

And yes, you do take on a very large responsibility when you carry. But I am of sound mind and judgement to know when I might have to use deadly force, and when the situation can be dissolved with words.

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Because the laws are very poorly written. They are written for the criminals to get off. The jurors themselves are morons, and the whole system is corrupt...[/quote]

I partly agree with ya here Brendan. The legal systems DO need alot of help! But look at the strides they are already taking?? The new "O.J. Simpson" law says that now, if you are involved in a justifiable shooting, the family members of the deceased/maimed CANNOT in no way seek any sort of restitution on their family members behalf.

Its one thing to "avoid" areas where violence might be lurking, but I will not HIDE or live in any type of fear over it. Thats like saying, "Well, the roads have become TOO dangerous, guess it's time to stop riding the Bike for fear something might happen"

Guns don't Kill people, PEOPLE kill people[/quote]

Carrying around a firearm for the average person is silly. You are better off avoiding areas with a higher statistical probability of violent crime.
Just along the lines of "statistical probability", more than likely the next time any of us ride we will not have an accident. Does that mean we shouldn't protect ourselves with gear? Most of us consider that the off chance that today is our day reason enough to wear a minimum at least of protective clothing. Those of us that "legally" carry consider it the same way.

Back