America Is a Democracy?

America Is a Democracy? - Do you Believe it?

• True

Votes: 56 100.0%

• Total voters

Projekt

Registered
Someone inspired me very recently to ask the question, "Is the United States of America a Democracy"?

I have to start off that by the purest definition, NO, the USA is not a democracy. However, it has been made to appear as a democracy through propaganda and various methods of trickery.

What true democracy would have a system as antiquated as the Electoral College?

What true democracy would have individuals known as Super Delegates that sway the outcome of Primary elections?

What true democracy would be influenced so heavily by private industrial titans, so far as to cause something so destructive as WAR.

Today in the United States of America, citizens are fooled by a media delivery system that has been integrated into society as a need. You NEED to absorb the daily onslaught of information that is designed to influence your perception of current events, thus directing you to form an opinion.

Let's hear your arguments. Yes, Republicans are welcome to respond with whatever right wing propaganda they have been indoctrinated to believe.

In a true democracy I wouldn't be told how to raise my children. What guns I am allowed to have and what restrictions I am forced to abide by even though it is my supposed right to have them. I wouldn't have to watch what I say even though no other race does.
I know there are more issues but those are the first to come to mind

In a true democracy I wouldn't be told how to raise my children.  What guns I am allowed to have and what restrictions I am forced to abide by even though it is my supposed right to have them.  I wouldn't have to watch what I say even though no other race does.
I know there are more issues but those are the first to come to mind
+1, and its just the tip of the iceberg.

We, as American's are going to see some Serious Changes in the USA in the Next 100 Years. Younger American's born in the USA have gone LAZY. They constantly blame other People for there Shortcomings. Having an Excuse is the Norm..... No Accountability. People from other parts of the World that have Migrated to the USA, are the only group of people that are Taking Advantage of the Freedom that out Four-Fathers Fought and Died For................ I Love this Country, and Would Fight and Die for it !!!!
But I will Never Except Medicority  
bowdown.gif

brave.gif

I doubt that what this country is now; is what our fore fathers invisioned...

You know, I love my country and am appalled at the media for the way my country is portrayed to the rest of the world. I am appalled at how American servicemen are portrayed in a war that has kept terrorism off of our soil for seven years now. I am appalled that there are those who put this country down and don't appreciate the freedom that we have. And I am truly appalled that it is happening on the day that we put aside to honor those that have served in our nations Armed Forces. Those that took an oath and swore to protect her. I am ashamed that a fellow countrymen would do this on this day.

I think we should can the electoral college and go back to popular vote.

The United States is a Constitutional Republic. There is a difference and I'm gald that we aren't a democracy.

A constitutional republic is a state where the head of state and other officials are elected as representatives of the people, and must govern according to existing constitutional law that limits the government's power over citizens. In a constitutional republic, executive, legislative, and judicial powers are separated into distinct branches and the will of the majority of the population is tempered by protections for individual rights so that no individual or group has absolute power. The fact that a constitution exists that limits the government's power makes the state constitutional. That the head(s) of state and other officials are chosen by election, rather than inheriting their positions, and that their decisions are subject to judicial review makes a state republican.

There are several varieties of democracy, some of which provide better representation and more freedoms for their citizens than others. However, if any democracy is not carefully legislated to avoid an uneven distribution of political power with balances such as the separation of powers, then a branch of the system of rule is able to accumulate power in a way that is harmful to democracy itself. The "majority rule" is often described as a characteristic feature of democracy, but without responsible government it is possible for the rights of a minority to be abused by the "tyranny of the majority". An essential process in representative democracies are competitive elections, that are fair both substantively and procedurally. Furthermore, freedom of political expression, freedom of speech and freedom of the press are essential so that citizens are informed and able to vote in their personal interests.

The US was never suppose to be a democracy, and I for one do not wish do live in one - and you should not either for that matter (but we are more becoming one as time goes by). This country was designed to be a democratic republic and that is BIG difference from a true democracy. We are suppose to be a nation of law, not a nation of "what the majority wants the majority gets". But our educational system is now so pathetic that people are not even taught this.

Wow, you folks are sure making me think! So, tell me the purpose of the Electorial College. In school, I had one professor state that it was our founding fathers attempt at not letting the masses make a mistake. Checks and balances is how he referred to it.

The Electoral College was designed to keep states like CAL and NY that have huge populations from basically deciding all federal elections (so the less populous states would actually have say in the matter). Be that as it may, originally when this county was founded there was no Electoral College because it was needed. The it worked then (and should work now), the people ONLY voted for members of the House. The House then would elect Senators and they in turn would elect the President. The people did not directly vote for president. The thinking (and correctly so) was to give the States the power, not the populaton of dumb-masses. But the way it is now, we need the Electoral College or like I say CAL and NYCity would decide all national elections - if you live in Wyoming or NorthDakota or someplace like that you would have absolultey no voice (not that you have much of one now).

I get tired of all this voting crap.1 state = 1 vote.But we can't do that it's just do damn simple.And God forbid we do anything simple.One state has more people than another,then tough shid,Go argue among yourselves.That's how it was in the very beginning of this country.It should stay that way.

You know, I love my country and am appalled at the media for the way my country is portrayed to the rest of the world. I am appalled at how American servicemen are portrayed in a war that has kept terrorism off of our soil for seven years now. I am appalled that there are those who put this country down and don't appreciate the freedom that we have. And I am truly appalled that it is happening on the day that we put aside to honor those that have served in our nations Armed Forces. Those that took an oath and swore to protect her. I am ashamed that a fellow countrymen would do this on this day.
A true Patriot questions the way his country is governed. A Patriot does not follow the word of those in power without any evaluation of the outcome. If you really believe this war is strictly about terror, I have some oceanfront property to sell you in Oklahoma.

A Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what's for supper; a true Democracy is a well-armed lamb disputing the outcome...

The Electoral College was designed to keep states like CAL and NY that have huge populations from basically deciding all federal elections (so the less populous states would actually have say in the matter).  
The people in these states do not all vote the same, so wouldn't that be an argument for letting the popular vote decide presidential elections? Are you saying that people in these states might be swayed by the popular opinion of the state as a whole? I live in a very conservative area, and most of my local friends consider me a left wing wacko, but my political views remain unchanged.....Projekt, point well taken
beerchug.gif

The United States is a Constitutional Republic.  There is a difference and I'm gald that we aren't a democracy.

A constitutional republic is a state where the head of state and other officials are elected as representatives of the people, and must govern according to existing constitutional law that limits the government's power over citizens. In a constitutional republic, executive, legislative, and judicial powers are separated into distinct branches and the will of the majority of the population is tempered by protections for individual rights so that no individual or group has absolute power. The fact that a constitution exists that limits the government's power makes the state constitutional. That the head(s) of state and other officials are chosen by election, rather than inheriting their positions, and that their decisions are subject to judicial review makes a state republican.

There are several varieties of democracy, some of which provide better representation and more freedoms for their citizens than others. However, if any democracy is not carefully legislated to avoid an uneven distribution of political power with balances such as the separation of powers, then a branch of the system of rule is able to accumulate power in a way that is harmful to democracy itself. The "majority rule" is often described as a characteristic feature of democracy, but without responsible government it is possible for the rights of a minority to be abused by the "tyranny of the majority". An essential process in representative democracies are competitive elections, that are fair both substantively and procedurally. Furthermore, freedom of political expression, freedom of speech and freedom of the press are essential so that citizens are informed and able to vote in their personal interests.
The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me God

Our government has TOO much control over us. They pretty much control everything we do in our day to day lives. They have put our service men and women in a bad situation. We can't even get our own country under control. How are we supposed to get someone else's country in reign? And I know people are tired of hearing about gas prices, but right now, that is what is killing our economy. The gas companies are talking about the demand has gone up...well, it hasn't gone up NEARLY as fast as the prices have. And look at the taxes our government has put on the gas. They don't want us to drive. They want us to go to work (so we can pay taxes), then go home, and then start all over again. They have us right where they want us. They (our government) are control freaks. They do not represent us, they dictate us. The U.S. is going down hill in a fast way. I support our troops, but I want them home before anymore lives are lost for nothing. The middle east has been fighting for thousands of years, and there isn't anything that we can do to stop them.
People can't even afford gas to get to and from work....that is a serious issue and our great government needs to do something about it! People are starving and losing thier homes for crying out loud. Crime is really started going up, and people are going to start taking the law into their own hands. Remember the movie MAD MAX?, well, that scenario isn't too far off!!

Back