i want one of these. lol

I'm sure someone will find a law against them...but they look pretty cool.

they're fun ..and illeagal ..
firedevil.gif
but they do lite up a dull evening !
firedevil.gif

firedevil.gif

Those could make some ineteresting road rage tools, not that I ever get road rage
whistling.gif

Yeah, these work, but not very well. You'll get a few pops and a little unimpressive blue flame. The box just cuts the ignition and reroutes the spark to the plugs in the tail pipe. When you rev the engine and hit the button the ignition shuts off at the plugs but the weight of the crankshaft will continue to pump air and fuel into (and out of) the cylinders, then the unburnt mixture gets ignited by the plug in the tail pipe. If you do it too often you'll wash down the inside of the cylinders and end up scoring the bore. There's also raw fuel spraying out of the valve onto the hottest part of the exhaust, so it can ignite in the headers and blow welds out if the engine is hot enough. When you let go of the button you've got a huge charge of air fuel mixture in the entire length of the exhaust pipe and you're setting yourself up for a seriously nasty backfire when the engine catches again and starts to run. A much better setup is to use a pump to reroute a small amount of fuel to the exhaust pipe (BEHIND the mufflers/baffles or you'll have built yourself a very large bomb) and ignite it there. That way it's independent of the engine and ignition. You just rev the engine normally and press the button. Fooooom! instant BBQ.

There's several different ways to go about it, but the kits on the market are all overpriced and poorly put together. You spend $100 on the "black box" and you still have to buy plugs and coils from an auto parts store. I've got a set of throwers on my 67 Pontiac that I built myself out of parts from an old nitrous kit. You can either wire a switch to turn on an electric pump and fire the plugs in the tail pipe, or if you want to get really crazy you can wire a higher pressure fuel pump (from a fuel injected engine) to your ignition switch so it's always on. Then you plumb lines from the pump to a fuel solenoid and from there to a nozzle in the tail pipe, just wire up the coils and plugs and you're done. When you turn the key on the pump pressurizes the line between itself and the solenoid and when you hit the button you get atomized fuel sprayed into your exhaust at about fifty psi. Who's got marshmallows and dogs?

I've had cops stop me on the way home from car shows just because they saw me light them in a parking lot and they want to get a closer look at how they work. One of them basically told me that he was sure they weren't legal, but he wouldn't know what to write the ticket for if he'd wanted to write me up; that I should just be careful where I used it and who was watching. If you're not starting brush fires or melting the grill of the SUV behind you you'll probably be ok, like all fun things in the world they just require a little discretion.

I've been playing with these things for years and I've tried a few different setups, if anyone wants some more information I'd be glad to help out. I'm currently working on a high pressure setup for one of my other bikes.

re: i want one of these. lol

But if I press the wrong button to activate...it may launch my passenger out through the roof(in our case...off the passenger seat), or release my acme oil slick :poke:

:rofl:

Looks cool, but I don't think I would want a fire burning close to my gas tank. :whistle: That's got to be pretty bad on your paint job also.

holy cow we have now gone full circle.... these were all the rage in the 50's

:rofl: will have to add this to the "water injection" innovation thread.. :rofl:

you need an old model T magneto.. they work really well for this :laugh:+ not sure what the bic lighter is :laugh:
+

Last edited by a moderator:
Back