Opinions?

MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
Hokay,
While at the Bash, CAp threw me the key to his '08... besides the fricken' awesome ride, he has a Scala Q2 and Garmin Zumo 550 set up that is SWEET!

Well, I have a C550 that my wife and I share... so I got to thinking. What if I put the C550 on Bessie for rides where I am going somewhere unfamiliar?

So, anyway, it isn't a zumo, but it works well. I will include a few pics. But...
I wan't to buy Geo another GPS. She doesn't want one with all the bells and whistles the c550 has, but I want her to have one with text to speech and that she can use as hands free for her phone. The Garmin units don't have those features until the mid range models.. so I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on the TomTom units?

C550.JPG

Rigged up the suction cup mount... surprisingly adjustable...

C550_rigged_up_mount.JPG

Plugged in under the hump...

12v_adapter_and_GPS_plug.JPG

I have had several Garmin unit's over the years and have never had a problem, they are accurate and well made.

When the tomtom was first introduced in the US a couple years ago I picked one up because I liked the features, they offered downloads of diffrent voices etc before garmin.

I noticed that the tomtom was simply not as accurate as the garmin and the maps were way out of date..

After doing some investigation I learned that tomtom uses the european standard for maps etc and garmin US, so tomtom would be more accurate in europe than garmin vice-versa.

Things may have changed, but personally I will stick with Garmin.

I have owned both. I loved my Tom Tom the best. It has more features and is quicker at giving directions than the Garmin. It handles the sun better than the Garmin. I had the screen mess up on my Garmin and had to take it back. It displays phone calls also so you can see if someone is calling you and if you want to pull over to return phone call. I have the Scala Rider fm, not the Q2, but use it mostly to listen to radio while riding.

We (docDrop and I) want one with an Elevation Reading. We used our in-laws Garmin Nuvi260 at the bash but couldn't find elevation. Do you know which Motorcycle compatible Garmins provide elevation? (or TomToms)

We (docDrop and I) want one with an Elevation Reading. We used our in-laws Garmin Nuvi260 at the bash but couldn't find elevation. Do you know which Motorcycle compatible Garmins provide elevation? (or TomToms)
On the nuvi you have to be on the main menu screen and push the signal bars to see elevation.

How did you guys like the Nuvi? Long story, but I have a chance to get a free Nuvi260 or Etrex legend.

the NUVI 260 is really easy to work with... I liked it... especialy the touch screen.

can the Nuvi be used on the motorcycle? On the Garmin site it says the Zumos work ont he Motorcycle, something about the Nuvi not being rugged enough for the vibration... anyone with experience/ solutions with this?

I have TomTom6 on my phone and it works great. We hit a road on the way home. You hit alternate route button, and it redirects you. Had this happen a few times. Plus you can input new little places you find and like along the way that way you can find them next time. you can look up places to stay and eat ect. ect. at your destination and they have address and phone number of the place. I have to recomend the the TomTom.
thumb_up.gif

On the nuvi you have to be on the main menu screen and push the signal bars to see elevation.
signal bars? like how strong the satellite signal is?
Yes, in the top left of the screen. Just tap or hold it, can't remember and it will bring up the page.

can the Nuvi be used on the motorcycle? On the Garmin site it says the Zumos work ont he Motorcycle, something about the Nuvi not being rugged enough for the vibration... anyone with experience/ solutions with this?
I mount a nuvi 660 on my bike using ram mount.
Always got mine from HERE.

I have not had any problems, but the main thing to worry about is that it is not waterproof. If you get caught out with it on, you can put it up or put a clear freezer bag over it.
Have read others doing it and I will also if I get caught in the rain.
Vibration has not affected my unit at all.

I mount a nuvi 660 on my bike using ram mount.
Always got mine from HERE.

I have not had any problems, but the main thing to worry about is that it is not waterproof. If you get caught out with it on, you can put it up or put a clear freezer bag over it.
Have read others doing it and I will also if I get caught in the rain.
Vibration has not affected my unit at all.
I liked the NUVI a lot.. I'll have to play with the 260 and see if it had the elevation too. That magelan looks pretty nice too.. I like how thin the Nuvi is though

I have sold the Garmin, Tom Tom and the Magellan(@ BestBuy). We sale more of the Garmin because they are more user friendly, and for the price point you cant beat em.

then EZ.... does the Garmin Nuvi260 have an elevation reading? (before I go harass the inlaws again)

Back