My wife didn't need to hear this as well...

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
As many of you may know Jimmy ("Diesel") and I trailored our bikes up together from Tampa.  We've been riding together when time permitted for almost the past two years. After telling my wife about the accident you can imagine she was upset, but not frantic...not only for Jimmy and his family, but also because she feels it could have happened to me.  

We had a long talk about it and we both expressed our concerns and in the end I told her I was not giving up the bike but that I will be more cautious about who I ride with in any group capacity and stress safety before any ride regardless of how elementry it may seem to others and if I'm not comfortable I will ride solo.  I've actually considered selling the Busa and getting more of a track bike (750-1000) which would allow me to go faster in a controlled environment instead of finding abandoned housing developments occassionally patrolled by LEO.

WHAT THE WIFE DIDN'T NEED TO HEAR:
Well as we are in the driveway yesterday evening a neighbor who I introduced to Jimmy while loading up our bikes last week for the Bash saw Jimmy's totalled bike on the trailor in my garage and I subsequently told him what happened.  Of course my wife was hearing the story AGAIN!

Then another neighbor, who's husband and herself ride motorcycles together, was walking her dog, hears this and then goes on to tell us her husband's sister was killed in the Carolinas last weekend while riding pillion on a motorcycle involving a truck and he has decided to get rid of both their motorcycles.  As I'm hearing this I'm looking right at my wife knowing what she is thinking.

I tried to defend myself indirectly by stating that the motorcycle season is just beginning for a lot of riders up north (FL is year round riding) and that riding safely is about ALWAYS anticipating a worst case scenario happening around you and having the coordination, skill and quick judgement to put yourself in a situation to avoid these possibilities.  Aniticpating THAT car will pull out in front of you, or THAT driver doesn't see you or THAT vehicle could be in your lane around that blind corner, etc.

I've been riding since I was 10 years old (26 years) and although I understand you can only anticipate so much I do believe that some people just shouldn't be on motorcycles.  Prior to the Bash I rode with two such individuals I thought should not be on the motorcycles they were riding...one ended up dead (CBR-1000, 44 years old) and another went off the road twice, crashing once, during our last ride (GSXR-1000, ~30 years old) but he did ride home.

The whole incident has really made me look at not soo much HOW I ride, because I'm a firm believer in my knowledge and ability, but who I ride with and to stress safety talks prior to any ride.  If some jack-ass starts giving me sh!t about it, like "Yeah, yeah, I know", then he'll get some sh!t of his own and/or I'll head out and ride solo.

+1 on the pre ride briefings. When I went out to Washington for our Oregon ride. MJN made damn sure to have a pre ride talk with everyone (21 of us) each day. It really made a difference to me. As him basically hosting the ride, I'd be mad if he didn't! We rode hard and fun but came all back unscathed.
bowdown.gif

It's tough when crashes hit close to home. I can't blame your wife. I waited until I got home until I told mine. She hasn't seen the pics yet..

Maybe let it rest and bring it up later. People get killed in cars, motorcycles, trains and planes. Someone crashing on a bike makes better news than a car crash.

Take your time and let her digest what she's heard.

We should definitely get an experience / skills level rating before / during the bash and group like riders together.  Maybe Kev can rate us and group accordingly
rock.gif

I know many of us would like to think these crashes can be avoided and that we're much to talented to let it happen to us. The fact is that many excellent riders get killed/injured for all sorts of reasons. You can wear all the gear you want and take a safety class every month and still get creamed. I thinks it really about accepting the risk and living life to the fullest or sitting safley on your couch and arrive at death someday having never really lived.

I know many of us would like to think these crashes can be avoided and that we're much to talented to let it happen to us. The fact is that many excellent riders get killed/injured for all sorts of reasons. You can wear all the gear you want and take a safety class every month and still get creamed. I thinks it really about accepting the risk and living life to the fullest or  sitting safley on your couch and arrive at death someday having never really lived.
Very well said.
clap.gif

I've been riding since I was 10 years old (26 years) and although I understand you can only anticipate so much I do believe that some people just shouldn't be on motorcycles.
I agree with this.  But I also agree with the post above that not all crashes are avoidable.  I've been down twice(once my fault and once a cagers) and I'll be down again.

But there are some people that lack good judgement and responsibility.  Not only should these people not be riding motorcycles, but they shouldn't be driving cars/trucks/etc...

Motorcycle crashes get WAY more press than car crashes. Anyone have a clue as to how many fatal crashes happen in the morning commute in the US?? But most everyone finds out when someone crashes on the dragon.

As many of you may know Jimmy ("Diesel") and I trailored our bikes up together from Tampa.  We've been riding together when time permitted for almost the past two years.  After telling my wife about the accident you can imagine she was upset, but not frantic...not only for Jimmy and his family, but also because she feels it could have happened to me.  

We had a long talk about it and we both expressed our concerns and in the end I told her I was not giving up the bike but that I will be more cautious about who I ride with in any group capacity and stress safety before any ride regardless of how elementry it may seem to others and if I'm not comfortable I will ride solo.  I've actually considered selling the Busa and getting more of a track bike (750-1000) which would allow me to go faster in a controlled environment instead of finding abandoned housing developments occassionally patrolled by LEO.

WHAT THE WIFE DIDN'T NEED TO HEAR:
Well as we are in the driveway yesterday evening a neighbor who I introduced to Jimmy while loading up our bikes last week for the Bash saw Jimmy's totalled bike on the trailor in my garage and I subsequently told him what happened.  Of course my wife was hearing the story AGAIN!

Then another neighbor, who's husband and herself ride motorcycles together, was walking her dog, hears this and then goes on to tell us her husband's sister was killed in the Carolinas last weekend while riding pillion on a motorcycle involving a truck and he has decided to get rid of both their motorcycles.  As I'm hearing this I'm looking right at my wife knowing what she is thinking.

I tried to defend myself indirectly by stating that the motorcycle season is just beginning for a lot of riders up north (FL is year round riding) and that riding safely is about ALWAYS anticipating a worst case scenario happening around you and having the coordination, skill and quick judgement to put yourself in a situation to avoid these possibilities.  Aniticpating THAT car will pull out in front of you, or THAT driver doesn't see you or THAT vehicle could be in your lane around that blind corner, etc.

I've been riding since I was 10 years old (26 years) and although I understand you can only anticipate so much I do believe that some people just shouldn't be on motorcycles.  Prior to the Bash I rode with two such individuals I thought should not be on the motorcycles they were riding...one ended up dead (CBR-1000, 44 years old) and another went off the road twice, crashing once, during our last ride (GSXR-1000, ~30 years old) but he did ride home.

The whole incident has really made me look at not soo much HOW I ride, because I'm a firm believer in my knowledge and ability, but who I ride with and to stress safety talks prior to any ride.  If some jack-ass starts giving me sh!t about it, like "Yeah, yeah, I know", then he'll get some sh!t of his own and/or I'll head out and ride solo.
Dude I saw you ride, never did you seem out of control, over the edge or pushing the envelope. In fact I even mentioned to tyou on the Mountain that I thought you had some nice lines aka ride very well, your wife, although understandably shaken and concerned because she loves you, also neds to trust your judgement. I told mine the whole story and she agrees with everyone's thoughts about safety briefings and riders just being mature enough to admit their level of expertise. I will ride with you any day over easy, I would feel safe following your lead. It's going to take her time to digest, just don't feed into it this will pass.

I will be in the beginners group if you are going to pair like riders
thumb_up.gif

I preach it EVERY year--------------Ride YOUR Ride! Do not let outside factors influence the way you ride. Stay within your comfort zone. Yes there are accidents that can be avoided. I have been down 3 times in 20 or so years of riding and I know there will be more if the Good Lord allows me to continue riding.

There is no way I or anyone can evaluate the riding skill of 130 plus in a few hours and then group them accordingly. I do try to help as many as I can at the Gap and hopefully soon I will be a Control Rider with NESBA and be able to help out on the track.

Hey guys , the southcal ride is right around the corner ! Would it be a good idea to find out who are the more expirienced riders and who need a good rider in front of them ? It is so true that time and age is not necessarily the messure for good riding skills.

i think these are all good ideas and concerns that we have. I know what you are kinda going thru Over Easy, i mention things that i read here on the Org, and shes like "and your gonna ride yours", and why do you tell me these things, i think the reason i do tell her things like this, is the simple fact that these things that happen could happen to any one of us at any given time be it bike, car, what have ya,just like what was said by another member in the upper part of this thread..we are all doing what we like to do, it kinda goes along with that freedomn thing, anyway accidents are gonna happen, we cant avoid them, we need to learn from them and use the knowlege while we are out doing whatever we are doing and not just riding....

I've said it a lot in the last few days and I'll say it again...

I've got nothing to prove when I'm riding...

Dude I saw you ride, never did you seem out of control, over the edge or pushing the envelope. In fact I even mentioned to tyou on the Mountain that I thought you had some nice lines aka ride very well, your wife, although understandably shaken and concerned because she loves you, also neds to trust your judgement. I told mine the whole story and she agrees with everyone's thoughts about safety briefings and riders just being mature enough to admit their level of expertise. I will ride with you any day over easy, I would feel safe following your lead. It's going to take her time to digest, just don't feed into it this will pass.
Not looking for accolades, but thanks...there's always someone better. And thanks for holding on to Jimmy's boots for him. Not sure how close in MD you are to DC but I get up there every once in a while to visit the folks.

The wife trusts my judgement it's others she doesn't and for that matter neither do I. Jimmy was one of the few guys I knew I could trust while riding the way I like to ride and BusaCruise, who is down here, is another.

I've ridden with a few others whose riding capabilities/judgement I don't know as well but I occassionally ride with a few less experienced guys and try to make them better. Unfortunately, I need to tell one guy staright up he has no biz on the bike he currently rides. I held my tongue before but I'll politely express my feelings to him next time.

+1

If you don't feel good about it, slow down or park it for a while. Don't push to the edge if you don't have the experience. When riding two-up you have almost twice the weight, or half the traction, in a corner.

I added up my riding years the other day and I came up with 19 years of riding total. I'm still learning, and still making mistakes as I go. The idea is not to make the same mistakes twice.

ATGATT to help minimize injuries if you do go down.

I accept the risk of what I do, and God willing I will be able to enjoy it for a very long life. My time will come when it does. Hopefully that isn't too soon. I don't feel that I have accomplished my mission in life yet. Only God knows what it is.

to clarify a few things, before the ride began, i did set up a riders meeting and at the time gave route plans, stressed the issue of riding your ride, and warnings on the cherahola. i felt that the pace i had set towards the beginning of the skyway after out first stop was an adequate pace for everyone. if riders wanted to go faster then by all means do so! as the ride progressed, my pace picked up, just as i instructed that it prolly would. i feel that that pre ride meeting stressed every valid point that you have been preaching over the past few days but all i can say to that is i can only control myself.... people are gonna do what they want, when they want! unfortunately, there were some bad decisions made and a major accident occured. im not here to bash anybody and all i am going to part with in saying is use your damn heads and ride to your ability!!!

to clarify a few things, before the ride began, i did set up a riders meeting and at the time gave route plans, stressed the issue of riding your ride, and warnings on the cherahola.  i felt that the pace i had set towards the beginning of the skyway after out first stop was an adequate pace for everyone.  if riders wanted to go faster then by all means do so!  as the ride progressed, my pace picked up, just as i instructed that it prolly would.  i feel that that pre ride meeting stressed every valid point that you have been preaching over the past few days but all i can say to that is i can only control myself....  people are gonna do what they want, when they want!  unfortunately, there were some bad decisions made and a major accident occured.  im not here to bash anybody and all i am going to part with in saying is use your damn heads and ride to your ability!!!
Ozzy, I certainly hope you don't think I'm implying you or anyone else did a poor job of pre-ride talks. You said everything you are stating. I know because I was 3 feet away from you and heard it all.

So don't anyone take this as placing blame, I just don't believe we as a group of riders did the best job of adhering to it, me included. Here's why: I was concerned that we were not in the three SEPARATE groups as originally planned and I should have vocally expressed those concerns but I didn't...don't even know if it would have mattered.

I started right behind you on the ride for this reason...because I didn't want to unsettle or endanger any other less experienced riders by blowing past them to get to the front and ride my ride. IMO, I don't think two-up bikes should be up riding that pace with the solo riders. Personally, even though I possibly could, I wouldn't even attempt to because I know the impact the extra weight has on the tires and suspension as V-man stated. Not to mention there's no way would I take that risk w/ the wife/GF/son/daughter on the back.

Peace
peace.gif

Back