AMA Superbike

UR IT!

MIDNIGHT FALCON
Donating Member
Registered
Man, if you don't now....start! It's going to be a knock down drag out fight every race this year betweem Matt Mladin and Ben Spies. Two absolutely incredible riders that are in a class by themselves.

Saw both races. Its going to be the best two bike showdown anywhere this year! Couldn't believe that last lap pass on Mat. Very cool!

Ben Spies is the BOMB!!! That was some of the best reacing I've ever seen! And Mladin was pissed!!!GREAT RACING!

To me  
hello.gif
it was the MOST BORING race ever
wowold.gif
. I mean, it's Spies or Matt or NO ONE ELSE ! So why not just have a TWO BIKE race and let everyone else have their own race. "OH" Yeah, the rest were Boring also, unlike the SBK race shown earlier
ThumbsUp.gif
. No wonder
whistling.gif
 AMA is sinking fast and had to sell
laugh.gif

To me  
hello.gif
wowold.gif
. I mean, it's Spies or Matt or NO ONE ELSE ! So why not just have a TWO BIKE race and let everyone else have their own race. "OH" Yeah, the rest were Boring also, unlike the SBK race shown earlier
ThumbsUp.gif
. No wonder
whistling.gif
laugh.gif
Look at it this way though if not for Spies these last few years no one would even be racing with Maldin. These two need to move on to bigger better things no question but what is to become of the class then? The Nascar boys want to put a fork in Superbike racing in the US now so next year at this time we will all be bitching about no good racing on US soil until the WSBK boys invade Utah or the MotoGP guys hit Laguna or Indy.

I was darn near napping during that second race. I thought Mladin had it in the bag but then with 5 laps to go Spies just started reeling him in. When was the last time anyone ever gained half a second or more a lap on Mladin especially in the late stages. I was yelling at the TV on the last lap man! what a finish. This one is now "protected" on my DVR!

Who won the Supersport race, Jake or Boz?

Recorded it but due to the red flag it cut off on the final lap!

To me  
hello.gif
wowold.gif
ThumbsUp.gif
. No wonder
whistling.gif
laugh.gif
+1
why can honda, yamaha and kawi step up and get competitive.
every time i watch it i know who is going to win, mladin or spies.
just boring.
eric bostrom he is one of my favorite riders,he sure can race but his bike just fades as the rase goes on.

it`s the riders..you could put spies or matt on another good bike and result would be the same. yea they have the best bikes but those 2 are just a class above the rest in riding skills. IMHO

To me  
hello.gif
wowold.gif
ThumbsUp.gif
. No wonder
whistling.gif
laugh.gif
Look at it this way though if not for Spies these last few years no one would even be racing with Maldin. These two need to move on to bigger better things no question but what is to become of the class then? The Nascar boys want to put a fork in Superbike racing in the US now so next year at this time we will all be bitching about no good racing on US soil until the WSBK boys invade Utah or the MotoGP guys hit Laguna or Indy.

I was darn near napping during that second race. I thought Mladin had it in the bag but then with 5 laps to go Spies just started reeling him in. When was the last time anyone ever gained half a second or more a lap on Mladin especially in the late stages. I was yelling at the TV on the last lap man! what a finish. This one is now "protected" on my DVR!
Yeah, I ageee, ONE pass in Race #1 and ONE pass on the last lap (after watching Matt drive off and RACE NOBODY)
banghead.gif
 ! Real exciting race
sadnews.gif
. Wonder what would happen to the crowd if their were 10 PASSES and a fight through out the pack ! Now THAT would be RACING  
ThumbsUp.gif

Kinda like the Isle of Mann TT  
jump9.gif

ThumbsUp.gif

it`s the riders..you could put spies or matt on another good bike and result would be the same. yea they have the best bikes but those 2 are just a class above the rest in riding skills.  IMHO
True..if you remember a few years back Ben was always way behind Matt every race and slowly race by race learned to be able to pace Matt. If it wasn't for Mladin's pursuit of perfection throughout the 28 lap race and Bens desire to get better each year, all the podium winners would come in together...or closer than 15 seconds behind.

Spies turned out to be a damn good rider,obviously, but Mladin pushed him there. IMO

it`s the riders..you could put spies or matt on another good bike and result would be the same. yea they have the best bikes but those 2 are just a class above the rest in riding skills.  IMHO
True..if you remember a few years back Ben was always way behind Matt every race and slowly race by race learned to be able to pace Matt. If it wasn't for Mladin's pursuit of perfection throughout the 28 lap race and Bens desire to get better each year, all the podium winners would come in together...or closer than 15 seconds behind.

Spies turned out to be a damn good rider,obviously, but Mladin pushed him there. IMO
Agree! But I also think there is a reciprocal effect there as well. By Mladins own admission Spies has inpsired him these last few years because there was just no one to push him before.

Hows this for a side note. Just found this today.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcy....67.html

I WAS THERE!! For sunday's race 2 that is. Mladin was gapping Spies every lap. It swelled to as much as 4.3 seconds (my guesstimation at Start/Finish). Mladin would've won except: tire issue-Spies did a better job conserving, mistakes by Mladin--you could clearly see where he was having problems. I noticed Spies closed in at T5/6 horseshoe, T9, and quite possibly T20/21 (that turn was out of my sight). But that last pass at Start/finish you could see coming. I was able to see Turns 16 and 17 and Spies was right on his exhaust. BTW-Spies was hitting the rev-limiter going into T1 at 160+MPH and dragging a knee from the top of the banking to the T1 chicane. TV doesn't do it justice. It looks and sounds sooooo fuggin insane!! When I do trackdays at Auto Club Speedway, I'll hit T1 at 110 mph, and that already feels out of control. Those guys are hitting it at least another 40 to 50 mph faster. Spies rode hard, but Mladin rode harder, thus the reason he had tire degradation towards the late stages of the race.

That wasn't even the best race of the day either. Superstock and Supersport had some REAL close, intense racing too. 4 different riders in supersport had a chance to win while Zemke, Bostrom, and Herrin (fastest 17 year old I've ever seen) put on a GREAT show of racing.

Hows this for a side note. Just found this today.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcy....67.html
That's what I'm waiting for and the most excited about. If Spies can finish in the top 10, that would be quite and achievment, considering how deep the field in MotoGP is.
I wouldn't expect him to light the place up since he has never even seen most of the racetracks on the schedule. This rumor circulated last fall as well though pairing him with Schwantz. Now that could be an interesting team in MotoGP. Get some Texas (both of them are from Texas) oil tycoon to front the bill and tear it up. Schwantz is a great mentor from all that I have read and he does have track knowledge of most of the tracks still on the schedule from his heyday to teach Spies the ins and outs in a hurry. I would love to see it! But for now lets just get through his Laguna and Indy rides!

I heard this at the beginning of the season....it's expected that if Spies goes to WSBK then Matt will retire, because there's no more competition without Ben....that'll be a sad day for me...I'm a Mladin fan, have been for many years.

What's really sad is it won't be apparent with the loss of talent because you won't see that 15-18 second gap between 2nd and 3rd place which is totally friggin' unreal watching it now.

Back