My career

motogp08

Registered
Haven't been on in a while, so just want to first off, say hi everyone!
hello.gif

Next, i'm going to college after high school probably (majoring in Criminal Justice). (In case you haven't gathered this, i want to be a Police Officer).
tounge.gif

My question to you guys...do you think its stupid for a police officer to ride a sportbike? I know you don't HAVE to ride them fast, but even being a police officer surely they'd succumb to the temptation once-in-a-while too?
winkold.gif

Do you think it'd be stupid for a police officer to ride a sportbike?
sadnews.gif

I know quite of few police officers that ride sportbikes...not really sure what one has to do with the other...so I guess my answer in short would be no

First off, I don't know why you would want to be a cop, as it may be the most thankless job there is, when its done right, and second, major in English or Sociology or Constitutional Law or something and minor in CJ.  Whoever has to read your reports years from now will thank you. Oh, and no, its not ridiculous for a cop to ride a sportbike.

First off, I don't know why you would want to be a cop, as it may be the most thankless job there is, when its done right, and second, major in English or Sociology or Constitutional Law or something and minor in CJ.  Whoever has to read your reports years from now will thank you.  Oh, and no, its not ridiculous for a cop to ride a sportbike.
Thanks for the tip bro!
winkold.gif
thumb_up.gif

Also, i know its very thankless, but its also one of those things you either really want to do, or really DON'T. I've wanted to since i was a little kid, and my mother worked as a correctional officer, and almost became a street cop. (Failed academy due to injuries, and didn't go back).

Anyway, thanks for the opinion and info.
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

Dadofthree is an officer and rides and is a member here. I used to pull reserve duty for the County and I rode and still ride. I'm a Pastor and I dragrace motorcycles.

I could go on giving you examples. There's no reason though. You need to be your own person and enjoy your hobby. You're not out there breaking the law just because you enjoy something that judgemental people want to condemn.

If you do enter into public service you will most definitely live in a glass house. You will be seen and recognized by those around you. You will be judged by people that have no right to do so. You can not allow the OPINIONS of others govern your life.

If you enjoy riding a sport bike, then by all means, do it.

My wife would have been mean and simply told you to grow a backbone and stop being a wimp. We don't need officers on the street controlled by super nanny and her peers.
firedevil.gif

Guess what, I agree.

Now, GO RIDE SOMETHING.

Dadofthree is an officer and rides and is a member here. I used to pull reserve duty for the County and I rode and still ride. I'm a Pastor and I dragrace motorcycles.

I could go on giving you examples. There's no reason though. You need to be your own person and enjoy your hobby. You're not out there breaking the law just because you enjoy something that judgemental people want to condemn.

If you do enter into public service you will most definitely live in a glass house. You will be seen and recognized by those around you. You will be judged by people that have no right to do so. You can not allow the OPINIONS of others govern your life.

If you enjoy riding a sport bike, then by all means, do it.

My wife would have been mean and simply told you to grow a backbone and stop being a wimp. We don't need officers on the street controlled by super nanny and her peers.  
firedevil.gif

Guess what, I agree.

Now, GO RIDE SOMETHING.
bowdown.gif

There are a lot of officers on the board here. There is a local cop in my town that rides to work on a gixxer 750, with his uniform on.

Are you freaking kidding me Moto
rock.gif

Ride your Busa to work with your uniform on.... Just as fast as you want !!!!
laugh.gif

Seriously, live your life man... Do whatever job you want to do, and live whatever life you want to live, regardless of whatever judgemental bullshid gets thrown your way.. You get one shot at it, make it worth it...
thumb_up.gif

I have my degree in law enforcement and I am in the process to get on the Sheriff's dept. here in San Diego and I know so many officers that ride. Never stop doing what you do....

I have my degree in law enforcement and I am in the process to get on the Sheriff's dept. here in San Diego and I know so many officers that ride. Never stop doing what you do....
thumb_up.gif

Watch the "Speed" channel sometime... LASO sportbike racing team riding the hills around LA County. The deputy on TV even said they had to watch out for the CHP !!!
laugh.gif
cool.gif

I ride one at work and off duty.
It will be a dilemma for you.
I don't go on group rides off duty, past experience turned out to be a disaster.
Group rides with sport bikes usually ended with a crash, someone will always try to ride beyond their ability.
I don't ride with the cruiser group either. Someone will drink a beer or two. I don't want to be any where around these riders.
You will be expected to set the example, whether you like it or not.
Your circle of friends will probably change to LE.
If you don't obey traffic laws and equipment laws on your bike, you will not have the respect of your friends.
It will eventually effect your life at work.
Consider carefully a career in LE, you will be held to a higher standard then you are now.
Some officers (few) will think laws no longer apply to them. They usually have short or rocky careers.
You are always being looked at and judged on duty and off duty. Is it right?
It's not about being right or fair, it is what it is and a career in LE should not be taken lightly.
Good luck and if you are near Kansas City on May 7, we are taking the department Busa's to do a meet and greet at the drag strip for KHP.
KHP wants to contact the sport bike riders in the area. We were asked to help. Come by if you can.

Are you freaking kidding me Moto
rock.gif

Ride your Busa to work with your uniform on.... Just as fast as you want !!!!
laugh.gif

Seriously, live your life man... Do whatever job you want to do, and live whatever life you want to live, regardless of whatever judgemental bullshid gets thrown your way.. You get one shot at it, make it worth it...  
thumb_up.gif
iamwithstupid.gif

Its your life, do with it what you wish
kickass.gif

I ride my 1000 all the time and im a LEO. Do i speed, yes, do i bring the front wheel off the ground, yes...there is a time and a place for everything. You can be a LEO and still ride and have fun, just dont be a squid about it.
beerchug.gif

For the "fun" riding, there is a time and a place for it, just like BrianKesler said.

The thing that may keep you from riding would be your career goals. The LEOs on the board would know better than I. But I doubt you could become the chief of police riding a sport bike. But if your goal is to be a street cop or a detective, then you should have no problems riding a sport bike forever.

Hummmmmmmmmm
winkold.gif
, I guess I never thought of a question like that
dunno.gif
. But
umnik.gif
, do you think  
sadnews.gif
it's alright for an ACTIVE DUTY and now a RETIRED Army Col to ride a sports bike
rock.gif
? Because I have been since I was an LT ---- Long, Long Ago  
whistling.gif

have a good friend who is a LEO for the same city im a firefighter at, he rides a (dare i say) zx14. oh yeah he is also the vice prez of the local motorcyle club! by the way , ive also beet him all three times we've raced at the strip

Back