186 Miles per hour

Unitymind

Registered
Does anyone have anything that gives a grand explanation why they limited bikes to 186 miles per hour?

deadhorse.gif

On a side note what do you think should be the speed limit for bikes to protect yourself from yourself?

yep. 300 KPH.. started in Europe by p!$$ed off Porsche drivers getting passed on the Autobahn

That is lame -- i just dont understand that at 186 mph (lightspeed) they decided to cap it?

Its like saying a 1/2 megaton bomb is
boxing.gif
less dangerous
fight.gif
than a 1 megaton bomb. It isnt even dangerous if you are respecting the thing anyway and knowing the limits you are capable of...Oh well speed limit here is 55 - 65 - 75.

The restriction is actually based on RPM(10,200 I think). I think the speed number is based off the speedo reading when at that RPM, which of course the speedo is off. So its not really restricted at 186mph anyway....

Because if the BUSA went "187" mph....
firedevil.gif
There might be a "MURDER" on the streets
beerchug.gif

Just kidding
bowdown.gif
Im curious also?

Short story version....

Busa came out,Hauled ars,Government(s) didn't want people doing this. That was the max speed settled on.

Gee wonder what year it started here in the us?
face7.gif

That is lame -- i just dont understand that at 186 mph (lightspeed) they decided to cap it?

Its like saying a 1/2 megaton bomb is  
boxing.gif
less dangerous
fight.gif
 than a 1 megaton bomb. It isnt even dangerous if you are respecting the thing anyway and knowing the limits you are capable of...Oh well speed limit here is 55 - 65 - 75.
Think about how often most of us go over 186 anyways.....not often right? If they wouldn't have capped speeds at some number to make the guvments happy we might not have these bikes or hp levels at all, and its VERY easy to derestrict them for the folks who need more top speed. I think it was a pretty good compromise considering the other options
winkold.gif

Blame the French government....they started all this restriction baloney.

I seem to remember something about a Busa blowing by a few cars on the Autobahn in a commercial that did not go over too well with the safteycrats.

Therefore 300 km hr speed limit=186mph

Just more senseless feel good politics. What a waste.
firedevil.gif

But wait - there's more! We'll be seeing more of this crap after the election this year, so lock up your busas and your guns.
guns.gif

I wouldnt care anyway. I never even topped my 600 out and its a race bike. I dont even try. I never topped my raptor 700 out either. I swear only bike i ever bounced off the rev limiter in top gear is a 02 honda xr200r dir bike ,ya know what im saying
firedevil.gif
? Sure i drive fast as a bat out of hell but i wouldnt care if the speed limit was set at 175.

Id remove it if it was set at 205 and the bike was capable of 206 just cause its there... Never even touching it.
beerchug.gif

Only the big 3 have to follow this rule. I believe it was due to the speed rating on the tires.

Back