How much do you have?

How much do you have? - Education that is?

• Didn't finish high school/ no Ged

Votes: 110 100.0%

• Total voters

GA_boi

Donating Member
Registered
As I sit here this morning fresh off a 12 hour night shift, doing homework I began to wonder  
idea3.gif
how many out there have and use a college education.  I'm 28 and a high school drop out that got an associates degree 5 years ago that I have never used.  I got tired of bouncing from job to job as a heavy equipment operator last fall(after being laid off due to the slump in the housing market) and decided to go back to college.I have decided to pursue a degree in Business Administration. (There is always a yo-yo somewhere without the mental capacity to think for himself
dunno.gif
 therefore needing someone esle to tell him what to do)  Working full time and going to school full time is quite the challenge.  So basically I got tired of doing homework for now and thought I'd throw this out there.  And I drank too much coffee at work hence the  
puke.gif
!!

I have completed half of a 2 year degree. I plan to finish it, but with 4 kids, full time, time spent on the org, when am I going to do it?

I did mine working full time and pulling 21 hours... no kids though... that would have been impossible

my wife & I both tried to work full time + go to college, but that left no time for eachother and the kids, so I dropped out to pick up the slack at home (since she's a lot smarter than I am, she could get her degree faster and make us some $$$$ while I go back to school)
cool.gif
she should graduate this May with a bachelors in business. I plan on going back in feb. it's a tough market out there and education is a big plus
beerchug.gif

umnik.gif
umnik.gif
umnik.gif

Stay in school (at least high school). I tell my students everyday to stay in school....grin and bear it. Get your diploma. Then what you do is up to you. College is not for everybody.... but I use my degree everyday... B.S. in BIOLOGY.. then I went and took all the classes to be a teacher.

umnik.gif
umnik.gif
umnik.gif

umnik.gif

umnik.gif

umnik.gif

umnik.gif

umnik.gif

BS in Management of Information Systems and a BA in Psychology. 90% paid for by the US Navy (and I retire in 4 1/2 months......... YAHOO!!!!). Busa Jules, if you have kids that want to go but can't afford it send them down to the Navy recruiter's office.

Don

I tell alot of my kids that MILITARY is the way to go... we have a SeaBee base right here as well as an Air Force base.

Education is critical in both keeping you sharp and paving a future for yourself. You will always find the old salts, sitting somewhere, weathered skin, callused hands, aged beyond their years, maybe a General contractor, maybe an NCO, espousing the benefits of experience over education. It is true that with some hard work and a little luck you can make a decent living without an education, very true and if you are after a craft, or a trade experience and "know how" are everything.

But

With an education and similar experience instead of being out there in the ditch, or on the roof you are in a trailer or an office downtown making certain everything runs properly. Same general field, but instead of being out there taking years off your life you're checking your email, making dinner plans, and still getting more done with a pen or a phone call than anyone at three or four job sites.

Education opens doors that otherwise aren't even visible. In most cases an education has nothing to do with intelligence either, I know lot's of idiots with masters degrees and I know lots of blue collar types that should or could be holding PhDs. Never stop learning, whether you are simply watching education television instead of freaking American idol, reading a book, or taking classes at the local U just cause you want to...

Education is something that will always pay off, always, even if it doesn't pay HUGE CASH dividends, it will still keep you mentally sharp.
beerchug.gif

If you think the education you already have isn't working out? Then absolutely go back to school and find something you love to do.

Besides, if nothing else, the jobs a good education will get you pay much better, with better working conditions, better benefits, and usually reduced physical wear and tear...
thumb_up.gif

I tell a lot of my kids that MILITARY is the way to go... we have a SeaBee base right here as well as an Air Force base.
thumb_up.gif
Heck yeah Teach, even joining enlisted, knocks edges off the complacent brain of today and prepares it to learn, be responsible, and perform at a higher level.

The Air Force has made all the difference in my life without a doubt. Without my time in service, clearances, and connections I made while there I would have never gotten the jobs I had right out of the military.

Employers freaking love ex military folks, they show up on time, work hard, don't beeyotch, and get the job correctly without drama... Something the U.S. could use a lot more of.

The Tripple threat is the Prior Military, with a Bachelors, and a stack of security clearances. You can just about name your price and perks, you'll be making $$$ immediately after leaving active duty.

Rev,
I didn't mention the security clearance. I was a Submarine radioman. TS and then some.

Don

Had a child on the way so I quit after junior year of high school and went to work. Like someone else said the wife has all the brains in the family so I put her through nursing school(RN) and now she is health care coordinator for an assisted living community. My son will graduate high school next month and will be starting college this summer. Once I get him through college and headed along his chosen path then I will pick back up where I left off.

I don't regret my time in the service...I just wish I would have chosen a different job....There aren't a ton of jobs seeking a machinegunner in the civilian world.

My Bachelor's degree in Economics got me in a fantabulous career in IT...
computer.gif

...I don't know how it happened either, but I'm not complaining
laugh.gif

well I went to school to be a veterinarian. Now I deal with animals all day.. but they are human. (BTW never made it to vet school.... I don't think my liver could of handled much more college)

Tell you the truth as long as you just have a degree some companies look at that. I do intelligence and other places you can do my job. Most of them a degree is required. It can be a degree in anything and you will likely not use that skill but just the fact that you did it is enough for them. Crazy there are a ton of Officers in the military that are officers because they have a degree and thier degree has nothing to do with thier job.

Crazy world when a 22 year old college grad with a business degree can get on with an agency because of his degree and a enlisted guy who has done that same job they are hiring for in the military for 8-12 years will not get looked at first becuase he marks no in the college degree section.

Have a Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering, dunno if that helped me much, cause I work in the IT field. If I have the time, patience and some money saved up, will look at pursuing a Phd. I have always thought that education is important.

Back