Tire size for Mustang??

webbashl

Registered
Ok for the mustang experts and/or tire experts. I have a 91 5.0 that I have put BBK sport lowering springs (2" drop) on it with the factory pony wheels. I don't know how to calculate the original tire size of 225/55/16 to compensate for the drop. The wheels now are to tall looking for it and am looking for a factory look for the drop. Thanks Ash

Oh nitrousjunkie!!!!
cool.gif

I want to lower my Mustang, but since I haven't yet, I have no idea...NJ's good for a ton of Mustang info though...hopefully he'll chime in!
thumb_up.gif

Ok for the mustang experts and/or tire experts. I have a 91 5.0 that I have put BBK sport lowering springs (2" drop) on it with the factory pony wheels. I don't know how to calculate the original tire size of 225/55/16 to compensate for the drop. The wheels now are to tall looking for it and am looking for a factory look for the drop. Thanks Ash
I have a 93 Cobra with the stock 17x7.5" rims on it with 255/40ZR17 tires on it with no problem and I have even seen guys with 275-17MT's on them without rubbing. What size Rim are you looking at? 4 lug or 5? My car is a bit constrained as it has .75" more offset at each corner than the standard Fox Bodied cars so aftermearket wheels are almost a custom affair, but you have a lot of options on your GT.  
thumb_up.gif

I used to have a 90 vert, hence the name, lowered 1.5 with 17x9 235/45's all around.

what i was told was that with tire size the first # is millimeters across the tread, the second # is the percent of sidewall vs. the 1st number, the last number is the inside diameter.

so your 225/55/16 is 225mm across, the sidewall is 55% of 225 or 123.75 mm tall, and fits on a 16" wheel

you need to get a shorter sidewall tire like a 225/35 or something similar to that. a 225/35 would be a 78.75 sidewall i dont know what that converts to in inches but it would be shorter sidewall.
remember if you get a wider tire you will definetly need to get a shorter side wall

thats why people are going with bigger wheels like 17", 18", etc.
a 255/40/17 is the same width/sidewall as a 255/40/16 just the rim is 1" bigger. it makes the sidewall look shorter because the rim is taking up more space.

have you rolled the rear fenders?

I have a 99 GT convertible that's lowered about 1.5'' in the back and then 1'' in the front or something like that and I have 275/40/17 and I think mine can hold a little bit bigger than that. I didn't lower it too much but it looks sharp lowered but going over bumps makes you regret it after a while and I'm actually thinking about taking my lowering springs off after 3 years. I've been told to get the lowering springs on top of the shorter shocks/ different suspension to not put so much stress on the stock parts (and it may ride better!) I didn't do that because it's so expensive. After going over some bumps in the parking lots and not paying attention a couple of times and going over deep dips on the side of the road... I've knocked my exhaust slightly out of place a couple of times and had to go back to the muffler shop and have them put fix it (I've got BBK X-pipe with flowmasters and no cats) Stangs rock and sound oh soo good like nothing else!!!!

Did you get the camber adjustments as well? I had to get those installed because the front was pidgeon toed. They will help keep the cost of tires down! Good luck!

Pic of Sally pre-chin spoiler!

Stang.jpg

If you really want to know what will and wont work go here!
Link

Everything you ever wanted to know and some you didn't about Mustang bits and pieces. I post there from time to time.

Fox bodies have unique issues with fender openings, and the spindles changed in 93 if I'm not mistaken, so anything past that is basically non-relevant. You have to do major modifications to get anything wider than about 245 in there, I had 235 BFG drag radials on the rear of mine and the wheelwells were pretty full...

Sharp stang twotonevert!! My pony was a toy up until I sold my car and now is a daily beater. I have ajustable caster chambers on it as well as having cobra R wheels. On the rear I was running a 265/50/17 and the front 235/40/17. It had the perfect stance with out any gapping in the fender wells. Now I put the pony wheels back on and would like to get it where it doesn't look like crap where you lowered it but couldn't afford anything else.

This is the only pic of the car I have on the computer

Before_windsheild.jpg

man James, she was sharp! mine's still under construction... not pic worthy, at least not until I take it muddin' to cover up the primer and peeling paint.
cool.gif

Yes she was Scott, very sharp. I miss her sometimes, but not as much as I thought I would. I have my Busa and my truck. Its all good!

Sharp stang twotonevert!! My pony was a toy up until I sold my car and now is a daily beater. I have ajustable caster chambers on it as well as having cobra R wheels. On the rear I was running a 265/50/17 and the front 235/40/17. It had the perfect stance with out any gapping in the fender wells. Now I put the pony wheels back on and would like to get it where it doesn't look like crap where you lowered it but couldn't afford anything else.

This is the only pic of the car I have on the computer
Thanks Bro. I like what I can see of yours!
peace.gif

Back