What year was

GSXRFANN

FLUNKIE
Donating Member
Registered
My wife is wanting another house (I am too really). Well, she found one she likes. I am not really that concerned with the inside, because she can do what she wants in there and it has a full basement and a detached garage (can you say "Busa Room")...LOL!! But the house was built in 1957. It has been updated and kept up very nicely. My wife has known the owner for many years. I am just curious if any of you guys live in older houses and is there anything I should check (other than the usual stuff) before we try to strike a deal?

beerchug.gif

I live in one that was built in 2003 I would trade it for a pre 80's any day. They just throw them up mass assemply line now.

1908, CORRECTLY done updated wiring should be your main concern, older homes have the advantage of being built with better quality of wood and a higher "pride in work done" than nowadays. just my .02

Main part of the house was built in 1865. It's had 2 additions since then.

Mine was built in 1955. As mentioned, check that the witring has been updated, 3 prong outlets with a ground is a good sign. Also, check water pressure, crawl space, and attic for signs of mildew or termite damage. I definately prefer older, updated homes, as the building materials used then were of much better quality than most of today's.

1948 built by my father-n-law,every time I gut a part of the house I have to reframe something

He passed in 89

1971, only problem with mine is aluminum wiring, I am replacing it as I do more updates but it still scares the crap out of me thinking aobut the aluminum wiring. I have way more fire alarms than you should but better to be prepared then get caught in a bad situation. I also periodically go around the house with a infrared heat gun and monitor the receptacles to make sure nothing is getting hot.

+1 NINJA,
2004 here. Was the model home in our neighborhood. I checked foundations and wiring on everything that was being built in the neighborhood at the time of my purchase. Even though the house was just a few years old, i wanted to make sure everything was built soundly since I didnt know the builder personally

DSCN0783.JPG

I have a rental that was built between 80-110 years ago. Never found def built date. The neighborhood it was built in was started 1887. Not had a prob. I only had to replaced plumming & water heater. If the house was taken care of, it should not be a problem. Expect here and there maint.

1971, only problem with mine is aluminum wiring, I am replacing it as I do more updates but it still scares the crap out of me thinking aobut the aluminum wiring. I have way more fire alarms than you should but better to be prepared then get caught in a bad situation. I also periodically go around the house with a infrared heat gun and monitor the receptacles to make sure nothing is getting hot.
You should have an electrician install copper "tails" at the breaker box. You'll be able to increase your peace of mind a great deal.

--Wag--

Check the plumbing and replace with copper if needed. Check fixtures and make sure they aren't leaking.

Check the heating and air conditioning. If it's very old, then replace with the newer energy efficient units.

Should be fun!

--Wag--

1901 still standing. Hard to heat should have checked for insulation first. Windows are very expensive too. bought in 2000.

2003 here, and its not even close to as strong as my last house that was built in 1965.  Newer homes are just slapped together nowadays.

P5070004.jpg

Back