Trouble Makers Inc.

Images

Leaving Vonore TN on a Wednesday morning to head for Spartenburgh SC, I look at my maps and spy my choices. Have done this a 2 dozen times but I guess I will always look at my maps before making a run.

I can run north for an hour and run my normal route through Knoxville and then up the Gorge (a technical road in its own right) and about 210 miles or I can take this route that runs on the "other" side of the national park... Hmmm looks shorter and I have run the top route at least 20 times...( l later find out is is 11 miles shorter, how prophetic)

This new route looks to be a couple inches shorter on the map and looks easy enough... 129 to 74 and over to 26...

Zip up my jacket, check the tires and off we go.... The first few miles are scenic and run along the water.. Hmm nice choice of roads here buddy, this is going to be a nice distraction...

10 minutes later we hit the first of the hairpins... Oh my.. this looks rather technical.. and look theres another one right in front of it.. and another, and another holy crap, what is this road.??

I am picking my lines carefully, and whether I like it or not I am going to be using the entire road...

For what seems an hour I am swinging back and forth across the roads and at times it would appear my tires are off the road... I am beginning to really regret this "new route"

I emerge 30 minutes later completely worn out, stressed out and so glad that I have not seen a soul on this road...

I find a wide spot in the road and figure I better do an equipment check and water a bush...

A careful inspection shows no damage on the 53' stepdeck trailer or the tires on a 10' spread.. 70' of tractor trailer unscathed! whew. what a relief...

Let me tell you what, running a tractor trailer up the "Dragon" is NOT how one should learn about this road... I am not sure how they made this road 11 miles shorter.... maybe it is magic..

Anyway, this route took over an hour longer....

HAHAHAHA, very nice Randy.

Don

Member of P.E.A.
    Images

Do you know God? http://www.lifechurch.tv/

Its a Jeep thing, you wouldnt understand!

Never Forgotten
    Images

Dragon Slayer I hope you got a decal for the tractor
    2001 Pantera 125 Dirt Bike, 2004 Yahama VSTAR 650, 2005 Hayabusa, 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650, 2007 GSXR 750

~ Don's Pictures ~

Dang, you had me thinking it was on a two wheeler..
    Bismillah

"He who hesitates is lost." CATO

FLUNKIE

<------ Would love to drive a tractor-trailer.
    http://www.badnfluenceracing.com

Cloud 9 Motorsports! Welcome To APE Racing , and Shinko Tires!!

GODSPEED RACING

Could you imagine if he did that on a day with alot of bikes around . Talk about scary, seeing a trailer coming at you in your lane .
    second place is just a name for the first loser

Goldenchild/@ Cloud Nine built 1397 motor 198 RWHP 244 w/NOS. 3-9" Thompsons arm, BMC Filter, Adjustable Rear Links, 1" Reapers Risers, HID Low beam, Leo Vince full TI , Pusher clutch cover, Airtech Tank and extended tail. Over 55,000 miles and 39 states.

Whew had me worried there for a minute Brother.... Wait, I'm still worried!
    2000 Hayabusa, Blue
    1397cc (A.P.E.) 13:1; HMF BigBird exhaust
    Brock Cams Stg II/PCIIIUSB; RPM Fuel system/JohnnyCheese Tuned/Tested! Race Tech Suspension/Carrozzerria Wheels; Passport/Bel/Blinder Lasar jammer
    2006 FLSTC-I Heritage Softail
    2008 FLHTCUI Ultra Classic
    2008 Hayabusa, Blue
    Yosh TRC full system, Bagster, Passport Redline w/screamer, & LI Jammer
    Buell pegs, Pazzo levers, Zumo GPS, Ventura bags

Trouble Makers Inc.

Images

I might add that there was not a single sign/warning or any other indication of what that road was back then...

Today? only a single small sign that is after the point of no return (unless you back up the highway)..

I'm somewhere but dont know where

Images

yeah, that run was prior to the "dragon" really being as popular a place as it is today. If you tried that these days I imagine the results would be quite different. Unfortunately there are big rigs across the road at least once a day, even on weekends. They now have signs at the ends that suggest alternate routes
    My European Adventures Blog

My Pinterest Goodies blog

Thread killer, when I post they seem to die

Banned

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

Never Forgotten
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by zukracer @ Feb. 22 2008, 10:15 AM
    yeah, that run was prior to the "dragon" really being as popular a place as it is today. If you tried that these days I imagine the results would be quite different. *Unfortunately there are big rigs across the road at least once a day, even on weekends. *They now have signs at the ends that suggest alternate routes
    Check out this hypothetical situation...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv9MPYHjADU

and this real one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCElX...eature=related

2001 Pantera 125 Dirt Bike, 2004 Yahama VSTAR 650, 2005 Hayabusa, 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650, 2007 GSXR 750

~ Don's Pictures ~

Hayabusa Immortal

Images

man you had me goin so good i had to read the line about the 53' stepdeck 2x. I was like WHAT IS THIS KOUK TALKING ABOUT?

good one
    Grip it and rip it!