Registered
Dog Triggers Gun Blast, Killing Hunter Near Baytown

Last Edited: Tuesday, 08 Jan 2008, 7:13 AM CST
Created: Tuesday, 08 Jan 2008, 7:13 AM CST

Shotgun / AP FOX 26 News

Related Items
Links
More Houston News

HOUSTON -- A tracking dog apparently stepped on a loaded shotgun in the bed of his owner's pickup truck, firing a fatal blast into the man's thigh during a goose hunt, officials said.
Perry Alvin Price III died at a hospital Saturday from severe blood loss from his femoral artery shortly after the southeast Texas accident.

According to Chambers County sheriff's investigators, Price was hunting on a lease near Stowell, about 60 miles east of Houston, when he shot down a goose.

Price, 46, then set the gun in the back of his truck and was about to open the tailgate to release his tracking dog when the shotgun fired, investigators said. The blast penetrated the truck's tailgate before hitting Price.

Paw prints from the dog, a chocolate Labrador retriever named Arthur, were found on the muddy shotgun, Sheriff Joe LaRive said. Daniel Groberg, Price's hunting partner, said he tried to stop the bleeding with clothing before driving him to seek help.

"It's the strangest case that I've seen," LaRive said. "We couldn't talk to Perry and Groberg was at the front of the truck when he heard the shotgun blast and didn't see what happened."

Gun safety a must at all times.
guns.gif

I love my pets but you never know, a cat shot he owner a few years ago climbing on the head board of his bed.

There was a similar story on MSNBC.com a few weeks back about a guy who laid his gun against a fence and when he climbed over the fence it went off and shot him. Here in Wisconsin, if this guy had not died he would have been ticketed several times for firearm violations. Here the DNR (Department of Nazi's and Russians(No offense anyone)) does not care what the reason is for putting a loaded firearm in or on a vehicle. You do it and it is a fine. It is also illegal to have have your pet or kids in the bed of a truck without restraints. No handcuffs don't count.
As a hunter as well as a rider, I am sorry I do not feel for this guy. Not one bit. Maybe I feel for his wife or his buddies but just for having friend that stupid.

There was a similar story on MSNBC.com a few weeks back about a guy who laid his gun against a fence and when he climbed over the fence it went off and shot him. Here in Wisconsin, if this guy had not died he would have been ticketed several times for firearm violations. Here the DNR (Department of Nazi's and Russians(No offense anyone)) does not care what the reason is for putting a loaded firearm in or on a vehicle. You do it and it is a fine. It is also illegal to have have your pet or kids in the bed of a truck without restraints. No handcuffs don't count.
As a hunter as well as a rider, I am sorry I do not feel for this guy. Not one bit. Maybe I feel for his wife or his buddies but just for having friend that stupid.
heard up there you can be fined for carrying a gun, in a case, with the zipper partially open

I feel sorry for the dog, can you imagine how he feels. he'll probably have to have therapy.
laugh.gif

Very tragic indeed, but it does kinda make good material for the Darwin awards.

heard up there you can be fined for carrying a gun, in a case, with the zipper partially open
Yes that is very true. The DNR up here does not mess around. They do not want any chance of you poaching our precious deer and elk herd.

Back