To anyone that Flies very much....

Big Tuna

Donating Member
Registered
I would much rather check all my luggage and have NO carry-on bags. I will be bringing my laptop along on this trip but after reading up on all the things that "can/can not'" come along, I have seen 2 different requirements concerning laptops. One said that it can NOT be checked and HAS to be carried on because of the battery....Then in another paragraph it can be checked. Has anyone ran into this? and what was your solution.I would much rather pack my laptop and case inside of my luggage and check it instead of carrying it thru the airport...Thanks...Jay

I wouldnt let the apes handle my baggage with a laptop in it... if i fly with my laptop, it always goes on with me in a carryon.

+1000 If you cannot secure your checked luggage (and you can't) I would never check the laptop. It will be gone....

I'm a big fan of this Backpackthat fits up to a 16" screen laptop. Been to every hell-hole in the world with this back pack and it has served me well.

I wouldnt let the apes handle my baggage with a laptop in it...  if i fly with my laptop, it always goes on with me in a carryon.
+1
+1000  
hello.gif
I never let anyone handle my lap top either domesticly and internationally traveling. If you want it BROKEN, the let the minyons take care of it  
laugh.gif

I average 18 trips a year (contract computer work) and would not dream of allowing my laptop to be "checked".. you could "valet" at the cabin door and that is safer than checking it but I would just carry it on and store it myself.

Also laptops are one of the top items stolen at an airport.. never let anyone between you and your laptop at security check points (common ploy is after you send your laptop through scanner, someone wants to cut in front of you... do not allow it)

On top of all that, layover time is a good time to surf the net ($7.95 a day for Boingo and usually works at all major hubs)

just came back from a flight. I watched as they unloaded the bags from the underbelly. the thing with the moving belt was pushed right up tight against the plane and someone was tossing the bags onto it. I could not see this person directly, but they were tossing the bags up as high as possible [about 2 feet inside the cargo area] and landing them on the conveyer belt. they could have simply SET them on the belt, but nooOOOooooo, they had to TOSS them up into the air to land on the belt. dumbest thing I ever saw, especially with people complaining about baggage handling for the last 50 years. just carry it on

Im not sure, i just deliver the lost bags for the airlines, at Logan, your best bet is to call your airline. I wouldn't check a laptop if i where you !

I check everything except the laptop. Sometimes it bites me. I've never had American lose any of my lugage, but I ssem to have a luggage issue every flight with NW and Continental. Good thing most of my trips are booked on AA.

I fly on average 35 weeks a year and some weeks having multiple legs. Always carry the laptop. It only adds seconds to the screening process and no more of a hassle than carrying a cell phone through security. Nothing sucks worse than having your luggage redirected on another flight and your laptop being with it. With the laptop available you can still pull up reservations that have been made, make new reservations, tracking things is also easier than standing in line somewhere for crappy customer service. You can secure it with a TSA lock that only certain people have access to your luggage narrowing down the list of possible thiefs. But worst case scenario is if indeed you check it and it does become damaged, not that anyone in our trusty TSA would steal it but anyway, the insurance on your luggage will not come close to replacing it. You are usually limited to around $500 total loss depending on the carrier. Carry it on, take a DVD and some headphones and enjoy the usually less than desirable experience of flying the friendly skies.

My favroite line when checking in is ME:"I would like to fly to Denver and could you send my bag to Tampa?", Ticket Agent:"No sir we can't do that". ME:"Well you didn't have a problem doing last week!"
guns.gif

Back