diet/ get in shape

pbghost

Registered
I figure this is as good as anyplace to ask for the best advice on getting in shape. my wife leaves in a week for a month long school trip, and I want to get in shape / lose about 6-10 lbs (gut) for her return, kinda like a gift. for the longest time I've had semi-physical work that kept me trim, but the last year & 1/2 I've had a cush indoor job, and even though I've cut way back on calories and eating less junk, I'm ending up with a gut & handles... since I'm small framed it shows more. any help / tips would be appreciated.

If you drink beer, you need to stop that. When you get up in the AM, drink 16 oz of water (distilled) within the 1st 1/2 hr. of being up. Everyday! Drink spring water throughout the day. At least a 1/2 gallon.
Do not eat after 7:30 pm. TRy to eat more fruit throughout the day instead of a snickers bar.
Make your breakfast the biggest meal. Eat light for dinner. Go to a healthfood store and get a colon cleansing kit. Sounds gross, but the average adult has 8-10 or more lbs of undigested red meat clinging on to it.

Well I used to run a couple of miles everyday with a sauna suit on to lose weight for wrestling, that ALWAYS seemed to work.  You may get better results than previously intended!  Haha, actually thats the wrong way to do it.  

But what I found that helps is stop drinking sodas, especially non-diet sodas.  Whenever possible go without the sodas, drink water instead, which was stated in the previous post.  I guarantee that will assist you in your way to weight loss.  This alone will not get you to your ultimate goal, some type of physical activity will be required to help you burn calories and the fat.  Find the time during the day to walk atleast a mile, briskly I may add.  Sometimes I go during lunch, helps get my mind off work as well.  It is a pain in the rear to get motivated to do it but in the end it will all be worth it.  Most people don't want to put in the effort to do it and those that initially do put the effort in fail because they are expecting fast results and get frustrated with it.  So it does take time to do this, dont expect quick results it takes a couple of weeks to get going.

muscle.gif

the beer was first to go, followed by sodas, I drink the heck out of water, snack on yogurt and oranges at work, and one solid meal when I get home, about 8pm( no dinner break at work, lunch is at 11:30)... that's what kills me I think. I gotta get up at 4:30, so I basically eat, shower, visit, then go to sleep.

I told you, your biggest meal needs to be done in the morning. You need fuel (food) to burn calories. Believe it or not, our bodies build up toxins over time that stunt the fat burning process. Water helps to flush the toxins.
You can also do a 9 day isagenix cleansing. You will rid 10 lbs instantly and keep it off for a while.

isagenix cleanse

Don't overdue the exercise and get hurt, all you need to do is 1/2 hour at a certain target heart rate 4 times a week. You'll have to research the heart rate formula, I don't remember it.

run forest run cardio is the best way eat clean and lower your carbs. eating smaller meals more often is better than fewer larger meal

With the above eating recommendations (as in NO JUNK FOOD) think
WATER - WATER - WATER ! You'll flush out the harmful Toxins. BUT, make sure you eat protien. I eat two egg whites (I give the yoke to the Dog) everyday. And like above, LOTS of Raw Fruit AND stay away from meat (red) as much as possible. As a trainer I had once said." If it flys or Swims it's good for You" ! Eat more fish, mainly from the North Atlantic or Pacific waters. They are the only ones with HIGH Omega 3, which YOU NEED ! Last, while you work, or work out, drink WATER - WATER - WATER and FORGET all those HIGH SUGAR Energy Drinks. They're JUNK  
beerchug.gif

5-6 small meals a day and alot of water works for me, if you get sick of drinking water get some crystal light packs or some lemons for a little flavor. 1/2 hour of moderate exercise 4 days a week and no beer or junk. weightlifting is always good but for me it makes my weight go up but i guess the fat % goes down, the more muscle you have the more calories your body will burn all the time even while resting. yea i used to run alot when i wrestled back in the day but we used to wear the heafty trash bags.
muscle.gif

I asked the doctor about my weight problem, I told him I have gotten so fat I cant see my weenor anymore. He said "have you ever tried to diet?" I said Dye it?? what color is it now.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Get rid of all the junk food--- sodas are poison;stay away from processed flour products and sugar. Eat more fresh fruits and vegtables. Eat poultry and fish and stay away from red meats. Get thirty to sixty minutes of cardio about five days a week. There is a cause and effect relationship between health and sickness. Eat only when you are hungry and only enough to cover your hunger. Your body can only process small amounts of food at a time anyway.Drink plenty of "clean" water

For what your trying to accomplish it is easily possible. If you do not work out and eat junk now it is more than possible.

Everyone seems to either had the same trainer I used to or read the same books. Dieting is the key to it all. Here are a few basics to it that can make this better for you to continue and not just for this month. Like Bill Phillips always said make a lifestyle change don't diet. If you do not want this to be a one month deal I would stat with getting the "Body for Life"￾ book. Very good start.

From there you can decide how much exercise you want to put in. You seem a little time pressed so I suggest get in what you can when you have a chance. I am assuming that you do not do any kind of cardio or weight lifting now so like it was said earlier take it easy your not that young guy that can run 5 miles and bench the gym because if you do sleep at work because you will not be able to get up and make it there the next day. Lol. If you are in decent shape or not far from it then try HIIT cardio you can learn allot about it on bobybuilding.com. I gained a few extra I am taking off while I am taking off right now it has worked well for me and I even like the long run occasionally just because I was skeptical of losing weight with 15 min of cardio a day kind of goes against everything you have always learned.

Back to diet it is 90% of any sustained weight loss plan if you have seen pictures of my wife she used to be a gym rat and since an injury she has not been in three years, it is all diet for her and since I posted last time she is down another 20lbs all diet centered around the body for life concept. If you don't work out drink sodas and beer all the time. Then diet alone will help you accomplish the goal. Like everyone has said water is the key to success. You drop beer and soda for 30 days you would be amazed. I was I have done it a couple of times, I just love boor so I can't keep it up. Then just alter away from your normal diet. If you do a drastic change you will get tired of it and be more apt to quit. Have your morning coffee ( I assume you do because your up at 0430) and a bowl of oatmeal. Oatmeal is a great way to jumpstart your metabolism as well as the caffeine in your coffee. Caffeine is the key ingredient in all weight loss pills now that ephedrine is off the shelves. Yogurt and oranges is a good snack, also try some peanut butter and apples it is not bad and low fat cottage cheese and a fruit. Alternate them to keep yourself from getting into a rut. Have a normal lunch turkey sandwich or two even heavy on the meat not the bread. Make sure it is a wheat or whole grain bread carbs are important south beach is a temporary fix that will leave you in worse shape then when you started the month after you introduce carbs back into your diet. i.e start drinking a few beers again. Just keep it light or dinner that is the meal you can have heavy protein like fish or chicken and light on the carbs a sweet potato and some kind of green veggie. As long as you get in 4-6 meals a day you will be fine. Make sure you drink a glass of water 15 min before every one of those to help yourself feel full especially at first.

Another great tip is to take a before picture it helps keep you motivated especially once you see the changes it helps with gym motivation allot. If you have that one picture of yourself from the beach or something back in the day you know that one your wife references about how good you looked because it is better than saying you were skinny there and now your not ( my wife opts for the look you had a six pack there now you're a fat ass approach) hang that one up too. Have that motivational picture to push you through those days you don't feel like messing with making your meals and dragging your but out to run.

Sorry about the book, I got hurt and fat over the past year and have finally been healthy enough to get back into shape again. I am in the same boat you are except I am the one away on business and I have five months to do it. You will get that and let me know if you need anymore help or motivation.

. If you have that one picture of yourself from the beach or something back in the day you know that one your wife references about how good you looked because it is better than saying you were skinny there and now your not ( my wife opts for the look you had a six pack there now you're a fat ass approach)
thank you for the advice, yeah, about a month ago as I was getting out of the shower, she was in the bathroom too... took a good long look,and said turn all the way around. I was thinking 'cool deal, the kids are gone to grandmas, hehehe', but instead of "hey baby, the house is empty" it was " you look like a snake that just ate a chicken" I hope to stick with the plan after she gets back to avoid this again, just need to give it a good run while she's gone to get a good start. I guess I need to start eating in the morning too? I usually stick with coffee and water till lunch. I work in a plant, so I'm limited in being able to do much at work. never have done a workout on my own, forced to in school and bootcamp (17+ yrs ago)besides my crash course walk/ run a month before I go backpacking. saw on trick my trucker that skipping rope with weighted handles worked uot good. anyone try this? once again, thank everyone for thier input.

When I go on a diet to get cut up these are the rules I follow and they work for me.
No sugar no fat and very little carbs. The only meat I eat is fish and chicken and the only thing I drink is water and black coffee. Even with this strict diet I won't get the result fast enough without cardio. You must exercise and don't forget to hit those abs. good luck.

you guys have all given very good general advice and this question may be public knowledge but another key factor that you all may know while given this advice hasnt been addressed and does make a difference: PB how old are you? Thats a key factor in developing a plan. Like I said thought the advice given already is generally good and for the goal youre trying to reach you should be fine. the stage in life youre in though helps determine that plan if you want to continue after she gets back. or are you just gonna let it all go for a year and do it again next year
beerchug.gif
,lol

I have dropped from about 244 down to 190-195 with simple diet changes and not a whole lot of exercise. It has taken about a year but I am still losing and if/when I actually get on my treadmill it goes even quicker. I drink my coffee light and sweet and alot of it. I cut it back to about 2 10oz. cups a day, I cut out most of my carbs, no more bagels and I try to eat whole grain breads when I do have them, protien bar (CLIFF Builder Bar) for breakfast with a half liter of water. Much lighter lunches, half sandwiches etc... no more chips or fries. I never really drank soda or ate garbage snacks so that was not an issue. I rarely drink beer anymore, if I am drinking it is usually vodka(Grey Goose or Kettle One, if you are gonna drink it might as well be the better stuff) and cranberry or pineapple. I eat a normal meal for dinner instead of everything that is left on the table. I try to have at least 6 or 8 half liters of water during the day.

My goal was 185 but I may push past that cuz at 193 I am still not happy with the way I look like. I need to start doing situps and hit the Tmill again, that will help.

I went from tight 38's to really loose looking 36's that I can now pull off without unzipping or unbuttoning and have now bought a bunch of new Jeans in 34's and those are starting to get loose on me. My handles are all but gone and that was huge for me.

Good Luck

And GIXERHP is still calling me TapeWorm, because I can eat, although I try not to so much anymore...

Dave

36, will be 37 in march. 6' even, now up to 177. doesn't sound like much, but like I said before... I have a small frame, so it shows more. no arms... just a gut. I hope to stay in shape once I get there, just easier said than done. I'm hoping that the drive to get in shape for her return will result in habits that I can keep, and the results will help her to help me stay on track. I don't smoke, and mostly drink water or unsweet tea, although I do like the occasional brew( a 12 now usually lasts about 2-3 weeks if not longer, when I do get one). what cardio workout do y'all recommend. there will be no distractions since the kids will be at thier grandparents house the 4 days I have to work, that's why I think I can do this. it's too easy to flop down on the couch at the end of the day with the wife & kids, since I'm just getting home when they're winding down.

At your height and weight, you'll have an easy time of it.

Thing is that you will benefit so much more from weight/resistance training than you will by cardio. Sure you can cut calories a bit to make your results happen faster. What gets tedious is when you are told to have six or whatever many meals a day. Just get active by doing an ARMY type of workout or a boxing workout. Lots of push-ups in various positions like close grip going all the way to wide grip. Shrugs and power exercises like squats or deadlifts will make you stronger, involve your entire body. They will also get your metabolism supercharged thus consuming higher amounts of calories for much longer than just running or bike alone. Also, to de-emphasize your gut make your shoulders stronger and bigger. Make it so your upper torso grows by doing chest, arm, shoulder and back exercises.

177 lbs is a good weight to be at. Once you train your muscles for growth that weight will be a "good normal" weight for fitness even with your so called "small frame".

Back