Copyright

bigmac0331

Donating Member
Registered
OK I have a question...Its about the word "hayabusa" and the kanji that goes along with it. How does Suzuki have control of an ancient Japanese word and symbol that has been around for a heck of a lot longer than Suzuki? In my personal opinion there is no way to have a copyright on an everyday word. If thats the case I want to copyright the word "God" so that every bible and church that uses it would have to pay me. Does everybody understand what I'm getting at? The whole point of the fact is I have a connection with a embroidery shop who can make fitted hats and hoodies with that kanji on them but won't because they are afraid of getting in trouble. Does anybody know anything on how that works? Thanks...

Good question I can't wait to see some responses because along with you I can think of a few words and Symbols I would love to copyright as well
beerchug.gif
lurk.gif

I see alot of ppl are reading this thread...I wonder if they are thinking of words they want to copyright now...HAHA...
laugh.gif

The whole point of the fact is I have a connection with a embroidery shop who can make fitted hats and hoodies with that kanji on them but won't because they are afraid of getting in trouble.
Rusty - talk to GSXcite - he has a connection, too!
tounge.gif

She's done some really nice work, too!

The "Kanji" and the word "Hayabusa" together are a logotype. I believe that the logotype is copyrighted and trademarked. Individual words out of the dictionary be it Japanese or Arameic cannot be copyrighted.

Also, the kanji is a stylized version of the japanese character/symbol stating Hayabusa. Therefore, it is still a copyrightable object similar to a font type.

The "Kanji" and the word "Hayabusa" together are a logotype. I believe that the logotype is copyrighted and trademarked. Individual words out of the dictionary be it Japanese or Arameic cannot be copyrighted.

Also, the kanji is a stylized version of the japanese character/symbol stating Hayabusa. Therefore, it is still a copyrightable object similar to a font type.
So if i used the original style of the Kanji I will be ok...the onky thing Suzuki did was angle it a little and reduce the space between brush strokes...

It is my understanding that if you alter the image just a bit, enough to make just a little different, You should be fine. Dont quote me on that but I belive that is the way it works.

Josh

It is my understanding that if you alter the image just a bit, enough to make just a little different, You should be fine. Dont quote me on that but I belive that is the way it works.

Josh
That's pretty much how it goes... The same thing for patents. That is, if you make something different by 12% it is legally different even though appearing or working the same for all intensive purposes.

Great topic, This is a topic I really could use all the information I can get...Any copyright attorneys on the org? Does anyone know of one? Thanks

I personally think that if someone is willing to pay someone to embroider something then thay should be allowed to do so. I mean think about it...Suzuki doesn't make everything that people want! It is advertising for them, not taking any money out of thier pockets!

I personally think that if someone is willing to pay someone to embroider something then thay should be allowed to do so. I mean think about it...Suzuki doesn't make everything that people want! It is advertising for them, not taking any money out of thier pockets!
I totally agree....They should look at it like this...Free advertisement.....

Back