Has Christmas become too comercialized

solarbarack

Donating Member
Registered
When I was a kid my presents consisted mostly of school clothes. My big present every year was a new bike from walmart. When I was sixteen the best present I ever got was a 5 inch b/w tv with a built in radio. This year just a few of the presents my boy want consist of a ps3,a new bike which is like 400.00, and a new paintball gun. Graanted I want him to have a better Christmas then I did, and all his friends seem to get this stuff. Am I insane or is this really the norm....

I hear ya Bro I am with you the way things are Christmas has gotten to comercialized and people are not focusing on what it is really about FAMILY and our Good Lord

We tried to maintain something like the "necessities" of life and 1 or 2 "what I wanted" gifts every year. Sweaters, shoes, socks are all perfectly fine gifts

I was always amazed at the pile of gifts some parent shower on their kids... I think this is absurd when most end up in a corner of the closet or in a drawer 2 weeks later... Maybe the gifts mean more to the parents than the kid...

I think you spot on with the attitude myself. Teaching the correct meaning of the holiday should take precedence over being "santa" every year IMO...
beerchug.gif

Thanks, The big thing used to be about the meaning, and the big familly gatherings. I don't want to sound cheap but comon now. I don't know if they really know how much parents have to work these days to do this, or understand what it takes to even keep a household going. I even went as far as to show our bills every month, but it seems kids these days associate love with presents.

Growing up my mom and dad had the 6 of us. We lived in a small 1200 sq ft home with 2 bedrooms. We ate lots of soups and stews as mom said it was the easiest way to make a dollar spread. From time to time mom would send us to play at a friends in hopes they would invite us to eat lunch or dinner as the house was sometimes empty. Christmas always meant lots of family time. Presents usually consisted of "hand me down" clothes from my brothers or something mom made on the sewing machine. Life was not easy but I always remember Christmas being a happy time for me.

My kids hopefully will never see that side of things. I have tried to instill in them the joy of being together as a family and religous meanings covering the holidays. It's hard. In fact, I sometimes believe that it is harder now living comfortably rather than having nothing. My 9 yer old runs his own finances and I provide shelter, meals and birthday/holidays. Everything else he spends his own allowance and manages his savings account. Fortunately my kids don't ask for much. My oldest asked for money for his college fund. Guess his stocks aren't doing so well (mine aren't - lol).

Yes, it has gotten out of hand. I always tried to get the kids something that they would like, but it has to be tuff for parents now. Something to think about. Two of my grandkids, we have 13 total, have other grandparents who only have the two of them for grandkids. The gifts they buy the two of them are unreal, and Mary and I could never compete given the fact we have 11 others to buy for. This is the same situation for birthdays as well. We always get them something nice, and most of the time Mary will make them something like a quilt. Now that they are older, they have told us that the special things that are made for them mean more to them than alot of stuff they get. To me, the greatest thing you can give your kids and grandkids is the feeling that they are loved. If you think the price you pay for something alone says that, you may be surprised. To my grandson, going for a ride on the back of the busa means more to him than some $195 remote control car that will be trashed in a month.

To my grandson, going for a ride on the back of the busa means more to him than some $195 remote control car that will be trashed in a month.
Wow bike rides would have certainly rated at the top of my list as a kid! no kidding!

Great move Gramps!!! I think it would mean more to you as the giver too in all honesty (thinking from my own spot as a grandparent)

I am sure not very many grandparents can give that gift
woot.gif

I know growing up it was much the same as others, family time and small gifts, maybe one big one. I got the "cool gifts" for my b-day and hardly ever for xmas. It was more of the winter/spring clothing hook up
laugh.gif

These days, my girlfriend's daughter is coming up the same way...even before I was in the picture. She gets a lot of clothing and a few toys (but she's 4). We cheat and will put some outfits in a box but seperate others to make it look like more stuff. Kids anymore go for quantity over quality, which is sad and really get hooked on the "well johnny has it, why cant I" thing. Seems the neighborhood kids here all have about the same toys...I think the moms all talk and regulate things a bit
thumb_up.gif

Absolutely. It is a sad thing.
Unfortunately it is a societal flaw because if you decide to do away with the big gifts your kid would get the inevitable question at show and tell after the holiday break. What did you get for Christmas? When empty handed, the answer is hard and makes a kid feel bad. Everybody assumes that it should be the same as they experienced with lavish gift giving. I didn't elaborate very much when asked the question because the gifts were mostly always selected in my mom's questionable fashion sense. We were pretty broke growing up and my dad was particularly miserly even when he did have cash.

It should be all about togetherness, good meals and warm drinks. Gifts should be optional.

Ya that is another problem. I remember how broke my familly was growing up,and watching my friends play w/ cool toys. I don't want them to have to face the same. I'ts tough these days on what to do.

Jeeez! If I had kids and they were begging for expensive stuff, I'd say, "Spalding, you'll get nothing and like it!"

"Spalding, you'll get nothing and like it!"
OMG - I'm laughing so hard I can't catch my breath!!

My kids get the 1 cool, big gift each year but they've also worked hard all year in school to earn it. They don't get everything on their list either. I'm happy to see them getting excited about picking out gifts for other family members and not dwelling so much on what they hope to get. So far, it's looking like they've got the right idea about Christmas - we're doing our part as parents so it stays that way too.

I hate Christmas and have since I was a kid. I am a bigger fan of thanksgiving. All the family and all the food and football like holidays are supposed to be. My kids are those kids that get everything on their list and more. My wife goes crazy but has learned to cut down a bit. My dad worked construction and we trapped in the winter time. I was not too concerned with getting presents I was just glad to have the time out of school to help my dad carry traps and maybe get some hunting in with him. I think our kids are a product of today's society and our upbringing.
I feel bad at times for not taking them to those buildings where you pray a little bit then they ask you for money maybe I should take the kids hard when you don't believe in what they are saying.
I am not religious and though I do believe in God I do not believe you need to go to a church and have another person tell you the meaning of what they think the bible means. I just teach them to be nice and love other people the golden rule is what I go by so all the technical stuff in the bible I do not get into I just know what I know for the knowledgebase to I can talk educated about it.

Uh gloves, socks , thermal long underwear , any warm toasty clothing is always appreciated in my corner.

Pretty much all I get really .

Oh wait dad is getting me a nice chain breaker/rivet tool this year. ( Now that gift will come in handy)

As for Christmas being to commercial absolutly, but we must spend to be strong or so some people say.

Just can't fathom the thought that people go into debt to fulfill others expectations.

I love not having kids...though it's heartwarming to read of the love and long-term concern you have for your children.

Just one of many "this-age" non-breeders.

Scar

Dear Santa, Would you please bring me a set of Olins forks, Brembo front brake kit, a big bore kit, Web cams, Ape 5mm stroker crank, Carillo rods, Yoshimura full exhaust system, power comander and some of those sweet Marcheseni wheels for Christmas. I am not asking for much! LOL

Back