Do you spank your children?

Do you spank your children? - yes or no

• No

Votes: 88 100.0%

• Total voters

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
I'm curious how many of you that have kids, spank them? Simply yes or no. A spank could be a little swat on the tush when they are misbehaving in public, or a full on bare skin whooping.

I am single with no children, and just curious on percentages of the repliers. I'll voice no opinion either way at this time.
smile.gif
Offer up examples of why not or why if ya like

just one time each, both for running into the street, both around age 3. they are now 9 / 12, and still just the infamous 3 count threat works. haven't had to recalibrate them yet... knock on wood.

Use too.................they're 17 & 19 now.

I always explained to them why they were being punished before hand.......never in anger.

My Mom and Dad use to whip the tar out of me with a belt. I was a hellyun' and deserved it. I have always respected them and loved them for caring enough to try to teach me the consequences to my actions. Pain on my butt was my consequence for not obeying authority.

Pain is one of the greatest motivators in all of life. It can be used positively or negatively.

Wouldn't think of it, he is 37 years old, 6' tall and 250+ lbs, and could kick my ars!
laugh.gif

I used to, they are too old now. Like Scott, I have my bluff in and the 3 count works really good!

I don't have kids. Would I spank if I did? Maybe. Probably very little in any case.

My wife was spanked twice during her childhood. Each time, a couple swats on the butt. She has a normal range of emotions.

I was spanked about twice a week. Drop-your-pants-and-get-hammered-on-hard-multiple-times-with-a-belt whippings. Not only were they physically abusive but emotional abuse was dished out along with the beatings. One time, my dad took a hoe handle to my ass and succeeded in making my want to kill him. I came close but never did the deed. I was about 12 at the time. Who knows how my life would have changed? Who knows what the effect is on a 12-year old boy who ends up hating his father for the rest of his life? As I got older, there were times when my father simply decked me with a closed fist. He was a first class bully and that's putting it nicely, I assure you. What's a 6'2" 270 pound man doing beating up a kid anyway? Rest assured, my mother was no less abusive.

My emotions are still very difficult to recognize, control and even feel most of the time.

My next brother has turned into a carbon copy of my father and abuses his kids similarly. It tears my heart out to know that they are being terrorized as I once was. Unfortunately, you have to handle this kind of thing with a great degree of delicacy and while I await an opportunity to do something about it, it's unlikely that I'll be able to be effective, even if I want to do so.

In retrospect, I believe spanking is a lazy parent's way of disciplining because they are unwilling to take the time to work out an appropriate punishment which fits the crime. Granted, there are parents who simply don't know any better but while that excuse may have worked for mine and others of your parents, it's becoming less and less of an excuse today. There is too much information available now for a parent to be able to say, "That's the way I was raised and I turned out okay." It doesn't fly any more. Equally important, even if a parent is ignorant of better parenting skills, it does not change the fact that the effect on the kids has major negative repercussions.

Bear in mind that any discipline should be a teaching moment for a child and you have to consider what it is you're teaching when you whip out the belt or raise your hand. Also, if a kid's punishment is always the same, the kid will learn only how to cover up his "crimes" better and will miss out on many opportunities for learning good things and will, instead, learn that if you can get away with it, you're doing the good thing. The child will then carry those lessons into adulthood and it will cause no end of difficulty for perhaps a lifetime.

That isn't to say that a judicious swat on the butt when it's called for is not okay. It just has to be a tool used with thought and serious consideration of whether or not it's the best thing given the circumstances. And none of this, "This hurts me more than it hurts you," crap. It might be true on some level but it's emotionally abusive because it transfers the punishment-making decision from you to the child and that's not his or her job. It's yours; take responsibility for it even if it's unpleasant.

It's a complex issue, even when done right. What works for one of your kids doesn't necessarily work with another of your kids.

I guess the point is, don't do it just because. Think about what it is you're trying to do vs. what you're actually doing.

None of this is intended to make anyone feel sorry for me. I only put it up there as something to think about. Raising a kid, as we all know, should never be taken lightly. To my parents' credit, they realized their problems later on in life and because much more passive but their problem from then on was that they didn't discipline at all which has it's own repercussions. Besides, by then, the first five of their 10 kids had already suffered overly much and I had left home some time before that change in their lives. Again, though, it's mentioned for illustration's sake in this thread, not to garner sympathy for myself!

Just some thoughts.

--Wag--

I have a step son, that a gave a crack on the Arse once when he was about 6 or 7.
Big Mistake.
His father showed up ready to kick my Arse. He then called the police to have me charged with assault.
Then the police arrived to investigate.
Took the little guy away for a few days and had his Grandparents act as guardians.
After nearly a week, the whole thing got resolved but, it was the single most horrible experience of my life.
I would rather have been accused of murder. Seriously.

I have my own child now that I have had to give the odd swat to the bum, he's ten now. and it's not been necessary for some time.
My step son is now nearly nineteen.
He pretty much does as he pleases, cause I will not go there again.
Doesn't go to school.
Disrespects his mother.
Lives like a pig.
Screws his girl friend in my house and has her sleeping over whenever he chooses.

I just won't put myself there.

Too bad too. He's very intelligent, but lazy as Hell.

I don't have kids.  Would I spank if I did?  Maybe.  Probably very little in any case.

My wife was spanked twice during her childhood.   Each time, a couple swats on the butt.  She has a normal range of emotions.

I was spanked about twice a week.  Drop-your-pants-and-get-hammered-on-hard-multiple-times-with-a-belt whippings.  Not only were they physically abusive but emotional abuse was dished out along with the beatings.  One time, my dad took a hoe handle to my ass and succeeded in making my want to kill him.  I came close but never did the deed.  I was about 12 at the time.  Who knows how my life would have changed?  Who knows what the effect is on a 12-year old boy who ends up hating his father for the rest of his life?  As I got older, there were times when my father simply decked me with a closed fist.  He was a first class bully and that's putting it nicely, I assure you.  What's a 6'2" 270 pound man doing beating up a kid anyway?  Rest assured, my mother was no less abusive.

My emotions are still very difficult to recognize, control and even feel most of the time.

My next brother has turned into a carbon copy of my father and abuses his kids similarly.  It tears my heart out to know that they are being terrorized as I once was.  Unfortunately, you have to handle this kind of thing with a great degree of delicacy and while I await an opportunity to do something about it, it's unlikely that I'll be able to be effective, even if I want to do so.

In retrospect, I believe spanking is a lazy parent's way of disciplining because they are unwilling to take the time to work out an appropriate punishment which fits the crime.  Granted, there are parents who simply don't know any better but while that excuse may have worked for mine and others of your parents, it's becoming less and less of an excuse today.  There is too much information available now for a parent to be able to say, "That's the way I was raised and I turned out okay."  It doesn't fly any more.  Equally important, even if a parent is ignorant of better parenting skills, it does not change the fact that the effect on the kids has major negative repercussions.

Bear in mind that any discipline should be a teaching moment for a child and you have to consider what it is you're teaching when you whip out the belt or raise your hand.  Also, if a kid's punishment is always the same, the kid will learn only how to cover up his "crimes" better and will miss out on many opportunities for learning good things and will, instead, learn that if you can get away with it, you're doing the good thing.  The child will then carry those lessons into adulthood and it will cause no end of difficulty for perhaps a lifetime.

That isn't to say that a judicious swat on the butt when it's called for is not okay.  It just has to be a tool used with thought and serious consideration of whether or not it's the best thing given the circumstances.  And none of this, "This hurts me more than it hurts you," crap.  It might be true on some level but it's emotionally abusive because it transfers the punishment-making decision from you to the child and that's not his or her job.  It's yours; take responsibility for it even if it's unpleasant.

It's a complex issue, even when done right.  What works for one of your kids doesn't necessarily work with another of your kids.

I guess the point is, don't do it just because.  Think about what it is you're trying to do vs. what you're actually doing.

None of this is intended to make anyone feel sorry for me.  I only put it up there as something to think about.  Raising a kid, as we all know, should never be taken lightly.  To my parents' credit, they realized their problems later on in life and because much more passive but their problem from then on was that they didn't discipline at all which has it's own repercussions.  Besides, by then, the first five of their 10 kids had already suffered overly much and I had left home some time before that change in their lives.  Again, though, it's mentioned for illustration's sake in this thread, not to garner sympathy for myself!

Just some thoughts.

--Wag--
Damn man... Thanks for sharing. It was a heartwrenching read.

For me, it was more along the lines of emotional violence since the threat faded once I was taller and heavier than my father. There were times that I wanted to test my right hook on his flapping jaw for verbally pounding his old-fashioned ways into my psyche. But my culture is one of blind respect regardless of how brutal parents are.

My sisters bore the brunt of my dad's physical violence. Being an old-fashioned chauvinistic father he was worse with my sisters demeaning them at every possible opportunity, in public, when visiting relatives, beating them for coming to work late in front of his employees.

That sort of thing really sucked but I thought everybody had it that way. Little did I know that even among my extended family, that sort of discipline was unheard of.

I still believe that a swat or two during early childhood can redirect a wayward child but anything beyond gradeschool age is just not effective.

I might add also, besides the good ol' 3 count, what works out in my house is rewards for doing above and beyond, staying neutral and cush for just being normally expected, and taking away perks and privelages for excessive slacking or misbehaving. they would rather get smacked than have thier games/ tv taken away and have to watch the news with me if they wanted to watch anything at all. (this they told me) I got enough whoopings to pay my grandkids in full, so this way works out best all around so far. plus when I take thier stuff away, I get to play with them!

Never needed to spank either of mine. I just had to look at them a certain way. Never had one temper tantrum in a mall or grocery store.They just knew in their heads and their hearts,it would not be tollerated.My daughter is the youngest,13,straight A student,learning a second language,track team,plays a couple musical instruments,is a black belt in Tae Kwon Do,etc. Keep them busy and focused,limit the vid games,the internet,show your pleasure or displeasure to the crew they are hanging with etc etc.Just common sense stuff. I've let my daughter know from an' early age that the sky is the limit.University,tech school,whatever she chooses.Skipping school and smokin' pot is not the road to sucess.My son is 19,he thinks drinking and smoking are rediculas and stupid.

I'm a lucky boy...RSD.

HELLZ YEAH!!!!

I remember a time when my friends' mother used to spank me/us for being bad and my mother thanked her for doing so. Then when I got home MY mother would spank me for being bad. No cops were called and no lawsuits were filed.

A friend of mine who lived a few minutes from me NEVER got spanked. He was a spoiled little brat and got everything he wanted WHEN he wanted it. I had to cut lawns and wash cars to make my money and buy what I wanted. My parents gave me what I needed but made me work for what I wanted.

He's in jail now for assault and battery ... on his mother!

Me ... I own a '07 Chevy Avalanche and a '05 Hayabusa. My girl who also got spanked growing up owns a '05 GMC Denali, a '06 LE Hayabusa, and a '07 Acura TL. We both make more than $50,000 per year LEGALLY. Neither of us drink, smoke, do any kind of drugs, and have no criminal record.

Spank 'em and tell 'em NightCrawler told you to do it!

Every chance i get,just kidding.Most of the time its just a little swat on the rump.Usually I get a good response with just a look..

I beleive in spanking. I was spanked as a child and I guess I am pretty normal. There is a difference in spanking and beating though. If more spankings were givin in todays society, I really doubt there would be as many troubled kids. Lets face it, PAIN hurts, and if they know that getting into trouble causes pain, they will probably try and stay clear of it!
I have a 9yr old step son that really needs to be spanked, but his mom won't do it! I can't because I don't want any trouble with his dad. I just wish she would a few times and he may get the picture!

Dang,,,I didn't know Rubb had kids (well other than his adopted son Yamahor)...that is pretty scary!! LOL, just kidding Rubb!!

no point in over complicating the issue, sometimes you gotta whack a kid in the bottom to get their attention... even an occasional trip to the wood shed is in order for some.

Many parents are to busy trying to be "best" friends instead of being a best parent...

is actual "spanking" illegal anywhere? obviously, overdoing it abusively is, but what about normal 2 - 10 reddening until crying spanking?

is actual "spanking" illegal anywhere?  obviously, overdoing it abusively is, but what about normal 2 - 10 reddening until crying spanking?
From what I'm told, just as in anything else, it has to be proven. IOW ... there must bruising, lacerations, ect. on the child for the parent to be held accountable. Of course if the court feels the child is being abused then the court may take said child from parent. But no actual charges can be placed on the parent if there is no physical evidence of abuse.

*Hint*
A wider belt distributes the ~whack~ over a greater area than a narrower belt, thus reducing bruising ...

Just a side note ... I know there is a difference between discipline and abuse and I do know the difference. I would never abuse a child but I will discipline him/her if need be to the fullest extent of MY law.

deadhorse.gif

zzwhip.gif

Oh yeah ... placing your hands and such on a child in ANY rough manner in public wouldn't be such a good idea.

No never have I touched my kids when they were around 3 for going in to the street
whistling.gif

bs.gif

spank.gif

Both of my kids had the occasional whack on the bottom but I have not had to do that in about 4 years now. My kids are now 9 and 11. Now if either of my kids are acting up all it takes is a look and what ever they were doing stops and all is better most of the time. I get compliments all of the time on how well behaved both of my kids are and I am very lucky of that. As pbghost said if my kids act up or do badly in school I get much better results by taking away privelages from them. Both of my kids enjoy riding 4 wheelers and going on the Busa and all hat I have to do is remove those privelages for a short period of time and all is better.
thumb_up.gif

Back