Need a male opinion

Busa Jules

Little blue pill, M.Ed.
Donating Member
Registered
Okay... as the resident girly girl.... I have to ask your opinion.

My husband and I have been married for almost 4 years now (and we are old... 31 and 37) and we have toyed with having children. We sometimes consider ourselves selfish for having all of our toys and I truly do not want to give them up. Just being pregnant for 9 months with no riding or racing is scary to me. But on the other hand, I always pictured having a youngin or two.

How did YOU feel when you found out you were going to be a dad? were you happy (always wanted a bambino), upset (my life is over, it'll never be the same), neutral (like it's a girl thing.. she'll have to take care of it)?

And NO I AM NOT PREGNANT... just over analytical

I felt like this
super.gif

I never wanted kids outta selfishness, and was scared I might beat my kids like I was. My wife convinced me to have one, and then we decided to have another!
It will definately change everything! If you think you are not going to ride yer bike for 9 months, you got another thing coming! You will have NO time to yourself. This isn't necessarily bad, if your prioritys change, which they will.
I would never trade my kids back for freedome for anything! Nothing better than to hear your kids scream "Daddy" when you get home!!
ThumbsUp.gif

I never wanted kids outta selfishness, and was scared I might beat my kids like I was. My wife convinced me to have one, and then we decided to have another!
It will definately change everything! If you think you are not going to ride yer bike for 9 months, you got another thing coming! You will have NO time to yourself. This isn't necessarily bad, if your prioritys change, which they will.
I would never trade my kids back for freedome for anything! Nothing better than to hear your kids scream "Daddy" when you get home!!  
ThumbsUp.gif
I am pretty much aligned with this thinking....
However, I have yet to be a father. Would love to do it sooner than later. I'm only 31 though so I still have some time.

I was happy when the first child was born and then the second, Now that they are 6 and 3 years old!!!
Wow is it alot of work, and you never get to watch your 46 inch lcd high def tv! Always has a cartoon playing!

As far as riding, I go out at nite when all are sleeping.

BTW, it's never too late. I'll be 44 in January and my kids are only 6 and 3

Happy, nervous, confused (is it my kid? - Just kidding
tounge.gif
)

Can't be selfish with kid's (or, at least you *shouldn't* be selfish). My wife and I put our *wants* aside so we could provide for the kid's. That means smaller house, older cars, less toy's, etc. I stayed home with my son while she worked and put me through school until I could get a good job. Then we switched roles. She stayed home while I went to work. The kid's are older now (17, 19). She works PT now while my daughter is in school. We made a decision before having kid's that one of us would stay home to raise them until they graduated from high school. It means doing with less, but it is worth it.

Everyone's life is different, but if you put you children's needs before your own it will work out okay. Yes, of course, you need to find some balance, but being a good parent doesn't leave much room for selfishness.

It is a very different path in life (or, at least it should be).

My 2 cents FWIW.

Good luck if you are thinking about pulling that trigger...

Having my two kids (Olivia and Gavin), has been the greatest thing that I have ever done! My wife and I were both active duty when we had our son Gavin and up until he was about to turn five, I was always gone, then I found out we were gonna have a little girl. We talked long and hard about who was gonna take care of our daughter while we worked and I basically did one deployment after another. My son was in the military daycare system from the time he was six weeks old until he started kindergarten. I jmust did not want that for our daughter, so I got out and my wife stayed active duty. Olivia is three as of Nov. 23rd, and I stay at home full time now to take care of her. This has been the greatest gift that God could give us. Have a child, they will brighten your lives forever. There are no words I could say that will describe the awesome and amazing thing it is to raise your children and see them grow.
beerchug.gif

What was I thinking.... nobody is gonna say they were upset about it.... everyone likes being a parent once they are one... you can't return them after they are here...

Should I just sell the bikes, quit my jobs and move into the doublewide? JUST KIDDING...

I like my life and have worked hard to get it.... I am like brendanp and came from a household where kids were a nuisance and my mom was STUCK with us all the time. I don't know if that is how it will be for me.

Kids...A gift from God.They will give you the happiest times of your life watching them grow up.They will make you stress,mad,sad,smile and laugh your azz off all in the same day.And proud.The past 13 months has been very stressful for me as a dad.But that will go away as soon as that plane lands in Texas tonight.

It is all in what you make of it. You could have kids, and be soo wrapped up with giving them love, attention, and guidance that you may never even want to ride again! Not saying this is gunna happen, but having kids is a whole new thing. they can bring more joy than just riding. Dont worry, you'll still find time to ride. It just wont be at your leisure.

Good topic!
thumb_up.gif

ThumbsUp.gif
+1 on what Bredan said only mife wife did not convence me to have a Kid it just happened. After my Son was born I was the proudest dad in the whole world as I am sure most dads felt the same when their Kids were born. You guys will find time to ride remember there are baby sitters that can watch the kids because you and the hubby have to make time for yourselves some time.

Priorities change when you have a child. They're a huge long term investment and carry alot of resposibility. Either way you'll end up happy and become jealous at times when you see someone who made the opposite decision. That'll pass as soon as you have another happy moment.

It's much easier to ride.

By the way, my wife and I are 37 and 38 and we have (5) total.
3 boys and 2 girls. (3) kids we had together and (2) brothers that we adopted.
Needless to say my home is very busy in the mornings when its time for school.

I absolutely love the Marine Corps, I had wanted to be one since I was 7 years old. My wife and I have also worked very hard to get where we are today. To my wife and I our children are our greatest gift. We have never once thought of them as an anchor. I chose to give up my career so that I could play a greater role in raising our daughter. I have served my country and now it was time to focus on the family. Life is about so much more than just possessions. No child should grow up in an environment where they are not wanted, or are an inconvenience. Maybe having kids is not the right thing for you, and that is okay too. I give you props for having the objective foresight to realize that, instead of raising kids that are not wanted. Do not get me wrong, our family loves toys too, we drive nice cars, have nice bikes, and our children have everything that they could ever want, but our fullfillment would be the same if we were less fortunate and still had our two wonderfull kids.

DSC00651.JPG

I seriously can see myself dragging the kid to the drag strip and having my husband hold em while I race. I mean just because you have a kid doesn't that mean you can never leave the house.... Growing up I spent most of my summers at a dirt stock car track watching my dad.

I guess I need the female opinion too....

Another concern of mine is that I have NO FAMILY here that could help us and my husband's family takes on the "I raised my kids, you raise yours" mentality when it comes to asking for help (I've already witnessed that craziness with my nieces and nephews)

Like I said.. I AM WAY OVER ANALYTICAL ABOUT THIS.....
deadhorse.gif

Thats it who wants to buy two kids?
I have a 6 yo girl and a 3 yo boy!
Currently the boy is climbing on me while I type this! Man is he heavy!

jk I love them too much to ever consider selling them now leasing is an option
cool.gif

Back