How To Beat The High Cost Of Gasoline

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
http://cbs4.com/consumer/gas.prices.jorge.2.566198.html

Unless I'm driving out of town, I never do the second because it takes too long. The 4th I do all the time because I works nights and usually get gas on the way home. The 3rd I never thought about. I'll give it a shot.
peace.gif

#3 doesn't sound quite right. A tank is relatively rectangular. The surface area of the gasoline does not really change as the levels change.

Unless he is saying that the gas evaporates until it fills the tank which also doesn't make sense to me.

I've heard the cold theory before. (#4). Not sure how true that is.

#2 - I don't do it anyway. What's it going to save you? .004 of a cent?
#1 - that's me, cheap gas!

I found the best thing to save $ on gas is to just drive less, find a more efficient vehicle - (Busa! 40+mpg!
thumb_up.gif
) and as you drive to and from work, keep tabs on the price of gas so when you do need it, you know who is cheapest. I live near a Costco but work next to a BJs. Usually BJs is cheaper, but not always...

Oh, and I disagree with him on the drive around for cheap gas. SOmetimes it's just not worth it to save $0.50 and use $1 in gas....

my
2cents.gif

that article does not appear very well researched... I can remember my days as a petroleum transfer engineer (gas jockey) and this was when we used to "stick the tanks" nightly and take the temp of the fuel (fuel temp does make a difference in volume).. The fuel in the ground does not change temp over 24 hours due to the heat of the day... It will change over about a week but that day/night thing is laughable.. (how long does it take to change the temp of 8000 gallons of fuel 1 degree anyway?)

Vapor recovery, that fuel ends up in your motor anyway when the cannister purges (air from the tank goes through the media, when the engine starts, it pulls vacuum on the cannister and pulls that into the engine while pulling fresh air into the cannister (a very often neglected filter lives here btw) The other point of this is if you put in 1 gallon of gas, the equal amount of air is going out the vent, how much difference could two 5 gallon fills over one 10 gallon fill?

Interesting read anyway.

Yeah. The whole temperature thing is BS. Most of the gas tsation tanks are 10 or so underground, Takes alot for the heat of the day to get through that much concrete. On top of that, at least at the station I work at, each tank is 10,000 gallons each. Takes awhile to heat that much up. Pretty much the whole article is... THe evaporation? Yeah, gas evaporates, but not fast enough to worry you on that. If thats the case, I'm screwed, cause I've been running on E the past week, putting in gas when I can.

I pretty much agree with Mr.Bogus.

And to add to that, I've also heard the "Don't fill up the day the tanker truck is there" rumor. Good luck. Our Small town station is filled almost daily on one tank or the other. Theres enough filters involved between the tanks and the pumps to get what little bit of water or dirt might be there out. In other words, these are rumors... Urban Legends... Myths...
thumb_up.gif

Fuel density and volume are big things when you consider a large amount of fuel. But with 15 to 30 gallon tanks in cars and trucks, its not going to make a noticeable difference...unless your keeping track over a lifetime anyway.

And to add to that, I've also heard the "Don't fill up the day the tanker truck is there" rumor. Good luck. Our Small town station is filled almost daily on one tank or the other. Theres enough filters involved between the tanks and the pumps to get what little bit of water or dirt might be there out. In other words, these are rumors... Urban Legends... Myths...
thumb_up.gif
actually there is some truth to this one... but it only applies for about an hour or so.. most tanks have water in the bottom of them (the stick has an indicator paint that shows this level when dunked) When a tanker drops its load, it can stir this "crap" up into the mix and end up in your tank.. (happens all to often, people get water in their tank after filling up).. See a tanker? I would move on to the next stop

I ride my bike everyday to work no matter how cold it is. I'm tired of giving the pump my money. I get around 50+ mpg. I use to be at the pump at least once a week when I took the cage but not any more and love it. Cage no more. I only use it on the week end or for me and the family. It may sound funny but when I'm in a cage I don't feel safe.
I feel safer and would rather be on two wheels. I love my little single cylinder 650
smile.gif

that article does not appear very well researched... I can remember my days as a petroleum transfer engineer (gas jockey) and this was when we used to "stick the tanks" nightly and take the temp of the fuel (fuel temp does make a difference in volume).. The fuel in the ground does not change temp over 24 hours due to the heat of the day...  It will change over about a week but that day/night thing is laughable.. (how long does it take to change the temp of 8000 gallons of fuel 1 degree anyway?)

Vapor recovery, that fuel ends up in your motor anyway when the cannister purges (air from the tank goes through the media, when the engine starts, it pulls vacuum on the cannister and pulls that into the engine while pulling fresh air into the cannister (a very often neglected filter lives here btw)   The other point of this is if you put in 1 gallon of gas, the equal amount of air is going out the vent, how much difference could two 5 gallon fills over one 10 gallon fill?  

Interesting read anyway.
I think he was refuring to the pumps and not the car, the pump handles here in Calie have a boot around the nozzel that seals up to your cars tank. I belive he is saying that when you top off that the over flow fuel gets sucked back into the pump.

pump.jpg

forgot all about the 2 hose pumps.. Az had them too (Thanks CA) I think MO has them too?

Back