I need your advice

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
Ok folks, here is the deal. I need to sell my mustang. I hate selling things to friends or family, so I posted her up on Autotrader. I get an email today from someone willing to pay cash for the car. The problem: he is off shore working right now and wants to put down a deposit, then fly to Tulsa when he gets home and drive it back home to where he lives. My wife says I am a doofus(thanks Juli), and I should not worry so much. I try to be as honest as I can with people and I guess I assume others will do the same. I sent him an email asking for a deposit, which I will bill through paypal, and let that clear before removing my ad. If he accepts my offer, he will fly to Tulsa to pick the car up in a couple of weeks. Does this seem ok to anyone? I would be a nervous wreck flying somewhere to buy a car sight unseen aside from pictures in an ad. Any and all thoughts welcome on this.
ohthedrama.gif

James, I sell cars to people over the internet all the time since I'm in the car business. You can't be too careful though. I would suggest that you meet in a public place rather than having the person come to your house .How is he going to pay the balance, cash?

whatever you do dont take a cashiers check they are about as easy to conterfeit as anything else anymore

and you can stop payment on a cashiers check... cash only... Make sure you have a third party too... any test drive could go very bad very fast....

Thanks guys. I dont plan to let anyone drive the car. I will take them on a drive, but they are not driving it, even with me in it. Hal, I never thought about bringing someone to the house. Thanks for the tip. Hey says he will pay cash, and if he shows up with a check, there is a bank down the street we can go to cash it. Thanks Eric, already thought of that. I would prefer to sell to someone local. I expect the phone calls to hopefully start after tomorrow, that is when it comes out in print. I just get a nervous feeling sometimes, and I have found that it is best to trust your gut.

it could be perfectly legit.. just watch yourself and regardless of who is driving, things can go bad...

if you have cash in hand, let him drive the thing.. most car lots will let just about anyone drive a car as long as they have a copy of a valid drivers license etc...

if you have any friends in the Used Car business, perhaps you can arrange to meet at the lot? or even pay a local lot a few bucks to manage the transaction with this guy if you are nervous...

"if you have any friends in the Used Car business, perhaps you can arrange to meet at the lot? or even pay a local lot a few bucks to manage the transaction with this guy if you are nervous..."

Good idea pay a lot $100 to handle the transaction.

I bought my Busa from a guy on NC and I'm in Texas. Flew out to get it and rode it home. Happens all the time.

Don`t be afraid about it. If he bring the check go to the bank and let HIM cash it.
Bank is a perfect place to close the deal, much better then dealer lot. You also can use bank notary on bill of sale.

I he e-mailed you then he can e-mail you a copy of his drivers license or other identification.

Tell him about your concerns and if he is a legitimate buyer he will agree.

Otherwise it's scam central and you are right to be wary.

Thanks guys. I asked for 1000.00 cash deposit and havent heard back. Oh well, someone else will call.

What are you asking for the car? I am one of those guys that buys cars site unseen.. Shows up pays cash and drives them home. Done it plenty of times.

I dont know if I can hyper link a sale on here, so I will send you a PM. Also, check the link in the bottom of my sig, Other go fast toy, lots of pics of the car there.

What are you asking for the car? I am one of those guys that buys cars site unseen.. Shows up pays cash and drives them home. Done it plenty of times.
actually happens a lot in the hotrod/show car world... typically enough images and documentation as well as an "As Advertised" agreement...(if not as stated, no sale) Have 7 figure sales go down like this...

I have bought a few bikes this way too... the real hassle is if the seller has not been upfront about condition of vehicle...

Back