who likes LATEX matresses?

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
I'm thinking of going latex. Anyone have them and have any feedback? I'm seeking better back support. I have brought and tried ALL OTHER styles of matresses. Currently, I'm quite happy on an inflatable bed but want something more stable

well they are hypoallergenic .... daughter has one and loves it... kind of pricey for my blood but curious for feedback too

My old man owns a mattress shop. He says they're nice but they hold heat, so if you get hot easy it's not for you. and they do sink down to conform to your body but if you toss alot you'll be up most of the night because they conform one way and it takes a few for them to flatten back out so when you turn your previous body impression will still be there.I just got a new mattress, its the vera wang love made by serta. awesome mattress. good luck.
beerchug.gif

I sell them.
Well, my store sells them.
I try not to.
They're way too pricey,and in my opinion, really meant for a small segment of the public.
They're environment must be between the high sixties and low seventies, otherwise, like solarbarack said, the heat will be unbarable. The cold will make them stiff and unable to conform.
There are several on the market.
TEMPURPEDIC.
COMFORPEDIC
Santé (by Simmons)
Sang (By Simmons)

To name a few.

In my opinion...
A Simmons beautyrest, Evolution series.
15.25 guage /980 coil count(Queen size), Viscolastic foam and Wool pillow top,
is the best money spent.
Best warranty too.

http://simmons.com/products/brands/beautyrest/worldClass.html

i have a serta Northstar stellaris was not very expensive and seems pretty decent.. how does it rate against the Evo series?

Thanks for the feedback. Can't do coils - been there done that. The LATEX are NOT the "Tempuric" foam types that conform to the body, but raw rubber foam that adjust but keeps it's shape, it lets you move around yet cuts pressure points.

I'm only asking because I have tried every OTHER kinds of mattress, and yes it has been a very expensive journey! Best mattress I ever had was back in 82... made completely of average, regular "foam", nothing fancy or NASA approved, supported everything very well, kept it's shape, lasted about 18 years. Everything since then has been sub par measuring up to that foam standard. This is my last resort.

I'm looking at the Serta Vera Wang latex right now, for use on a platform bed - no box springs. I'm thinking box springs might be the main issue. I weight about 195 lbs, and these $14 camping air matresses work just great on the floor right now. Hoping to get a little more solid.

I'll welcome the warmth. I like warmer beds, but these air matresses are cold!
biggrin.gif
Thanks for the input

In re: " Currently, I'm quite happy on an inflatable bed but want something more stable"

For more stability with an air mattress, put it in a wooden frame. I have a super single in the guest room inside a wooden sided waterbed frame and its very stable and comfy. I've slept on a king size waterbed since 75 or so. No back problems.

SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!

UNLESS, you ONLY sleep on your Back...

If you sleep on your sides, or on your stomach EVER you will add many a foul word to your morning vocabulary...

In short, our "Temperpedic mattress" is horrible, simply horrible Designed by Scumbag Chiropractors to drum up business.

-Summer time too hot, someone else mentioned it and yeah they hold heat like nobody's business.

-Failure to breath, the Cheap crappy foam they use (ALL OF THEM USE IT) to make up the majority of the mattress under the Viscoelastic doesn't breath, so not only are you hot, but you're sweaty.

-Horrible for sex, Yeah the whole "Doesn't disturb your Partner" bit, works against you here... Lets just say that a lot of positions just are what they used to be... the mattress just doesn't offer enough support.

-Speaking of support, this is where it all falls down, if you sleep exclusively on your back, and your sex life doesn't involve athletics on the mattress? Then you will likely LOVE the Tempur mattresses. BUT ONLY if YOU just sleep on your back.

-IF you sleep on your sides, or stomach then the Tempur, Viscoelastic, latex, mattresses are the DEVIL!
firedevil.gif

As your shoulders, hips, and feet sink into the mattress you find yourself NOT supported but bent. The reality is that you will have sheets, a mattress pad, and the supporting structure under the mattress all working against you. You find yourself in a hammock almost, bent in weird places. That's the best way I can describe it. Hammock effect, as you can imagine while sleeping on your stomach is extremely uncomfortable being bent the wrong way.

In theory the mattresses make sense, but in practice I haven't heard from a single Tempur Material owner who (IF HONEST) is really happy with their purchase. It's a matter of sheets, mattress pads etc creating more of a hammock instead of a "Magical conforming surface that caresses you and makes you smarter."

UNLESS you only sleep on your back, if you are on your back it really is pretty nice.

My next mattress may be one of the High Speed low drag "Sleep Number" type of beds, I've messed with them before and found them to be quite supportive. Sort of a pimped up Air mattress that allegedly works pretty well, then so do the Tempur mattresses "allegedly".

Traditional Inner Springs might be the way to go, or heck maybe even an old school water bed... There is fun to be had...

I'm impressed that you all know the names of your mattresses though...

Here's a thought JD, Go ahead and spend on a mattress, Box spring, pedestal or whatever. There's a couple places you should never cheap out.

One, your Home cause you'll get that money back, and TWO (Maybe the most important) is your bedding/mattress...

You spend a lot of time in bed, and just about everyday you will find yourself in it for at least 5-10 hours... So it's critical that your bed be a place relaxation, comfort, peace, and hell maybe even indulgence. But if it relaxes your body and lets you really sleep it's worth every penny. Sheets and bedding too. Get the best you can find, $200 for a pillow, $400 for sheets, $1200 for a quilt or down comforter? Worth every penny if it means that little bit of extra comfort. It's a fantastic place to spoil yourself, it's an indulgence maybe, but just cut a check to your local Catholic Church and you are good to go.
smile.gif
May seem silly, but when you get the right sheets, blankets, pillows on the bed it can make a lot of difference.

Oh and if you want a warm bed get yourself a warming blanket. I know it sounds cheesy but the modern low voltage blankets are pretty darn nice. We fire it up for just an hour or so before we crawl in and it's wonderful, especially if you like sleeping with the ambient temp set low.

I like the idea of a good sturdy wood pedestal instead of the Boxsprings. I really miss the Waterbed frame with a conventional mattress on it, will be doing something similar again with the Nautilus air bed thingi.

ANYBODY Ever hear of a Mattress Consultant?

I've thought about asking my Doc, or maybe a Osteopath. I'd ask a Chiropractor accept they tend to be little more than pitch men and hucksters. Besides, they would probably recommend a crappy bed to Keep me coming in....

Duct tape her to the front, like in the Titanic! ROFL!!

I'm in the market for a good mattress too...Mike and I have spent far too much money on what isn't working...

My Dad has one of those Sleep Number beds and loves it...he's had it for many years now, never complains about it, says it's holding up well...it may be worth the $ to invest in one; it may be what we ultimately end up trying ourselves...

Hey Va, please do not jack this gentleman's thread.

:-)

heehehehe relax Rev, I'm not after the TEMPURIC stuff. Been there, done that, not going back there either.
I'm talking about the complete LATEX models, usually the most expensive - I don't know why, it's JUST foam! Last foam I bought in 82 was 1/3 the price of everything else. And that was paradise.

Everything I've every read on mattress reviews says there is not one perfect bed for everyone, it is ALWAYS users opinion and feeling. It takes me about 30 days to know if a bed is working out for me. Since my inital foam finally started to decay a few years back, I've nearly every expensive version of matress with the exception of a water bed, and the Dial air bed thing. For me, foam or air provides the right support and reduction of pressure points. My folks have the Dial number thing and it's great, but my cheap air matress feels exactly the same, to me, and is $2970 cheaper.
smile.gif

My BEST sleep ever seems to be at camp outs. So, now I'm on an airmatress on the floor in a 0 degree sleeping bag wtih the window open and it's great. If I thought it would help, I'd put the tent up in my bedroom, but I just don't see any benefit there. But I want something higher, that I can sit on, or play rugby on, without it expanding or popping - which the cheap ones do.

Since I haven't heard anything bad like, "they lie! Latex looses it's shape within 45 days", or any other bad press ,like the tempruic gets, I guess I'll go grab that firm latex one I'm looking at. $1300... AFTER the sales guy knocked 300 off GAH! my king sized foam and box spring in 82 was $399! BEDS SUCK!

Back