Rev's Bike Hunt 2007.  Harder than I thought

Revlis

Re-Recycled, Busa-Less...
Donating Member
Registered
Well, about a year ago I just about quit riding altogether. I didn't know if I wanted to ride ANYTHING EVER again. But, I do have to break in some rental Harley's each spring and working for a large Multi-Line, Multi-Store Motorcycle Dealership I end up riding damn near everything that catches my eye at one point or another, (Bikini Models Excluded... Damnit).

So anyway, I decided about 4 months ago that what I really probably needed to do was find a bike that was COMFORTABLE... It's not that I don't love riding, I am just tired of being uncomfortable. I had to admit to myself that after 4 years I simply was Never Comfortable on the Busa. I hadn't ever really considered this an issue until I rode a couple of big comfy Harley's and it hit me. I knew why I wasn't riding and it really did come down to the old Seat, bar, peg relationship. I've tried Heli-Bars, Tobin, Corbin, and in the end I still end up uncomfortable after a little while and unless I am neck deep in twisties I just want to get off.

So easy enough right? Oh NO NO NO, Dear reader how little you know about me. I get emotionally attached, the Busa is an amazing bike, and as benchmarks go, the Busa is a real mother. Also, I want something different, I'm tired of riding Japanese Bikes that I see on every corner so I have been trying to find something unusual. Not to mention I want a smaller, more fun, More Comfortable, More nimble and lightweight, entertaining, Good Looking or interesting, Less Crazy, put the Giggling back into the ride, and capable of the Occasional two up weekend trip.

Not So Easy...

Let me break down the list for you, I've ridden for either a few minutes or a couple of days the following:

2007 Aprilia Tuono
2005 BMW R1150 Rockster
2007 BMW F800ST
2007 BMW R1200R
2007 Buell Ulysses
2007 H-D Softail custom
2008 H-D FatBob
2005 Honda ST1300
2006 Honda Interceptor
2007 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
2007 Triumph Speed Triple

I've sat on just about everything else...

2007 BMW GS1200
2006 BMW K1200R
2007 BMW GS650
2007 Kawasaki Concours
2007 Moto-Guzzi Breva (Still looking for a Griso)
2007 Suzuki M109R

So far the Standouts have been the V-Strom 1000, the Moto Guzzi Griso, and the BMW R1150 Rockster and R1200R.

But the smart Money says buy a Brand that we carry, I'll get the machine for $500 over cost and everything else parts, accessories, gear at Cost...

But that means Harley, Triumph, or one of the big Four Japanese brands...

dunno.gif
I rode the ST1300 and it's cool, it's a tank, but it's a comfy tank...

The V-Strom is cool, TLR Motor, Comfy, Lots of accessories, simple and inexpensive...

Part of me really wants the VFR with some bar risers... Who Knows.

But I am loving the looks of the Griso...

Any thoughts, Input, ideas?

griso_96.jpg

Another... I haven't even found one to sit on yet but I love the looks, and it's different.

griso_80.jpg

Then Again, theres a lot of good things being said about the V-strom, We sell 'em so I can get a heck of a good deal...

2006models_Suzuki_VStromDL1000m.jpg

Rev, my thoughts of where to go from the Busa is you're looking for some comfort. Its a much shorter list than yours.

Kawasaki Concourse 14
Yamaha FJR 1300

Of course the ultimate limosine of a motorcycle
Honda Goldwing

The wings are pretty quick. I passed one that was doing a buck 20.

Right, but I'm also trying to scale/Slow it down. I want something more silly fun, less serious fun...

BUT having said that, the ST1300 I was looking at could be a possibility... OK And the Concours 14 is certainly tempting... big Comfy and Fun, But heavy, just like the ST1300.

Tough thing to do, going from the best to the rest.
cool.gif

Good luck with your search for comfort.

my next bike will be a harley se ultra classic.

wint on a poker run last weekend someone had one. i loved it. going to get one!
busa will be sold sooner or later.

The Guys I know who have Guzzis just LOVE'em AND say they'll never have anything else EVER. But then they're ALL kinda Wierd  
pillepalle.gif
 . On the other hand, all the guys I know who have VFR's love'em and ride the tire off of them and say they're really comfortable. I really considered one after my Duc ST4, but it was too simular and I wanted a Busa. Either are great machines, it just that Guzzis need you and your love
goodboy.gif
, a HONDA doesn't care
laugh.gif

Well, if you are looking for fun, then look no further than this...
I rode one about a month ago, and I am going to get one this winter when the prices drop a little with the 08's sitting beside the 07's. I loved it, handling was amazing, riding position was very comfortable, and the sound rocked.

990sd07_schwarz640.jpg

If you want to stick with your dealers brand then these are a heck of a lot of fun too, plus they offer a model with the full arrow exhaust and some tasty carbon bits...

SpeedTriple_gallery_pop_2_2008.jpg

Have you checked out , might get flamed but what the hell! , kawisaki concours 1400 , or yamaha fjr 1300 and kind of try to get the best of both words ? when i went to look at my new 08 busa i actualy walked right past it to sit on a m109 they had on display . felt like it would be a good ride , however i think if i bought a cruisre it would be a harley ? good luck in your search , on the other hand you sound like you have access to lots of bikes ? why buy !
cool.gif

Oh yeah, I am keeping Evelyn, she is my one true love, I just want something to rail the twisties with!
beerchug.gif

i dig those triumphs.

that orange on looks siiiic.

what...no ducati on your list?

The Guys I know who have Guzzis just LOVE'em AND say they'll never have anything else EVER. But then they're ALL kinda Wierd
pillepalle.gif
. On the other hand, all the guys I know who have VFR's love'em and ride the tire off of them and say they're really comfortable. I really considered one after my Duc ST4, but it was too simular and I wanted a Busa. Either are great machines, it just that Guzzis need you and your love
goodboy.gif
, a HONDA doesn't care
laugh.gif
There is something to that, it's nice to be needed sometimes.
laugh.gif

I mean just like you said, the Honda doesn't care, the Guzzi is going to need a little TLC.

The biggest thing about the Guzzi is the style and the allegedly wonderful Handling/Engine character.

Haven't ridden one but instead of leaping on a V-Strom I'm going to wait until I at least sit on a Griso before laying out the cash...

The KTM is extremely tempting, BUT the KTM Dealer here in the area is a DIRECT competitor to my Company... If I bought a KTM from them I might be signing my own Exit Paperwork.
smile.gif

We'll see, The VFR is the Bike I've tried to buy twice before. First time I got a GSXR750 instead, second time I bought Lilah, so Maybe this time I'll stay true, and find myself a 25 Ann Interceptor.

This isn't a Boo-hoo poor me thing, no no I am aware that this is all good, but I am all wrapped up around the axle... There is just far too many good machines out there.

Image_29FC6DCE8EAF11DB.jpg

laugh.gif

I like the Griso a lot because it's not really any ONE particular machine. It's kinda like a Road Going BMW GS1200 that isn't ugly. It's sort of a Sporty Standard Cruiser thing... Or as Guzzi calls it a Techno Cruiser. Whatever that is...

Mittaristo_Guzzi_Griso.jpg

i dig those triumphs.

that orange on looks siiiic.

what...no ducati on your list?
No, strangely enough the Ducati's don't really do it for me. It's public exposure I suppose but I have yet to meet a Ducati Rider out in the world that actually rode their Ducati.
dunno.gif
Mostly it was just an appliance.

Well that and there isn't a Ducati dealership convenient to me, I am not really all that apposed, but there just isn't anything in Ducati's line up that pushes the right buttons for me.

I like the Guzzi, it does have a certain draw to it doesn't it? I have also seriously considered this bike...

duc_sc1000_800b_72.jpg

Back