Wiring in a garage door opener

ibified

Registered
Anybody done this before? I have a little mini transmitter that I was considering wiring up through the flash to pass switch so that instead of having to carry the remote, it's just installed and hidden somewhere else on the bike.

If anyone has a wiring diagram for th 05 or newer, we can figure this out pretty quick. My diagram is pre-05 and doesn't have the flash-to-pass switch on it.

LOL! Funny you say that!

Skotty was asking me today about the hazards and FTP switch on mine. He has an '03 - they first added FTP and hazards to the '04...

...anyway - I told him that I'm thinking of disabling my FTP so I can use it for a Garage Door Opener!

FTP switch completes the +12v to the highbeam. It is directly wired to the highbeam, it's not run thru a relay. So, if you use it in its current state, you're gonna potentially have +12v running thru your garage door opener. Another consideration is that when the highbeam is turned on via the rocker switch, +12v is also sitting on the FTP switch.

I really don't use my FTP - I can flip a rocker switch for when I need to flash my highbeam... So I was thinking of cutting the wiring from the FTP switch and running two wires from the FTP switch to my garage door opener and soldering them in.

You should build a little power supply while you are at it to eliminate the batteries in the opener and run it off a switched power source on the bike.

I bought a programmable door opener that I wired to the horn, why the horn, because it was easy to get to and I didn't have to cut any wires. It worked great until I moved. Now the garabe opener isn't compatible with the remote that I had wired... I will look for the manufacturer of the remote if you all want. Worked great, now I have to carry the darn remote fob..

My Dalton opener is 12V already so might be an easy wire job... Post wire colors if you would

Back