MotoGP one Tire rule

bigoltool

Registered
Ive been watching with great interest the developments this season and the emergence of Bridgestone as the ruling force in MotoGP tire technology. So much so that some are crying foul and asking Dorna to implement a one tire rule (presumably Bridgestone) similar to the current WSBK formula. The most outspoken (perhaps because he has a Microphone shoved in his face constantly) proponent of this seems to be none other than Valentino Rossi. It has been reported in Recent days that he has even threatened to leave MotoGp to pursue other interests if he does not roll on Bridgestone tires next year! Dorna chief Carmelo Esposito even approached Bridgestone on Rossi's behalf warning them to give him the good stuff next year or the single tire rule would be far more likely to happen.

This is ridiculous to me that a Company the size of Michelin cannot seem to make a tire capable of hanging with the competition for full race distance. With the implementation of the new tire rule for 2007 Michelin was suddenly not allowed to make a fresh tire to suit track conditions overnight as had been the case in years past. There series dominance evaporated overnight. Now on seemingly equal footing with Bridgestone the French tire giant is struggling for results as never before. The fact that Rossi is suddenly willing to walk away from his career long technical partner, even at the behest of his equally long term crew chief Jeremy Burgess speaks volumes to the frustration (despair) he is experiencing now having surrendered "his" title 2 successive years.

This weekend in Sepang Rossi is once again struggling to find a tire on par with his competitors and starts from the third row. Dorna has decide to postpone a decision on this issue until after this weekends round. I am highly interested to see what transpires!
whistling.gif

I'm gonna say it's a bad idea.  Should everyone be on the same bike?  No!!!!  It's competition, advertizing, etc.

Rossi has turned into a baby! I'm not running up front and winning every race so I'm gonna quit. 1 tire rule is bad. After all his comments it would be fitting and ironic if Michelin made a better tire than Bridgestone next year and he wasn't on it and watched his competitors ride away.

Rossi has turned into a baby! I'm not running up front and winning every race so I'm gonna quit. 1 tire rule is bad. After all his comments it would be fitting and ironic if Michelin made a better tire than Bridgestone next year and he wasn't on it and watched his competitors ride away.
I doubt it would happen but it would be friggin hilarious to watch! Even funnier would be to see him leave Yamaha and Lorenzo win the championship on it. Don't get me wrong, I strongly believe Rossi is the best rider in the paddock. But now that he is being pushed to the limit every race he is getting down right desperate. The funny thing about all of this is that the two Americans running Michelin's are the only front line Michelin runners not asking for Bridgestone's. On the other hand Nicky could have had a Ducati this year and re-signed for ungrateful Repsol Honda again and look what that got him.

Jeeese...i can't figure out who'e dumber...

1. Bridgestone: For R&D'ing such a far superior race spec tire but then can't make a decent street/sport tire to save their azz or?...

2. Michelin: For making kick azz street/sport tires (that sell by the millions) but...can't win a race.

Gee..i guess that's why i run dunlop qualifiers.
laugh.gif

1. Bridgestone: For R&D'ing such a far superior race spec tire but then can't make a decent street/sport tire to save their azz or?...

2. Michelin: For making kick azz street/sport tires (that sell by the millions) but...can't win a race.

laugh.gif
Have you tried the BT002's? Most of the Track day guys on here seem to be raving about them. Bridgestone is gaining ground on their rivals at break neck pace.

laugh.gif
Have you tried the BT002's? Most of the Track day guys on here seem to be raving about them. Bridgestone is gaining ground on their rivals at break neck pace.
hey...that very well maybe...and the 002's might be fantastic...as it appears it's always the tire company that poors more effort into R&D that eventually come out on top...my qualifiers are a prime example...i cringed when i bought them...and prior to dunlop coming out with their stellar qualifiers's?...you couldn't pay me to run freaking dunlops...and now dunlop rules both my busa, heart and?....ama.

But here's the thing...Bridgestone can't cut a tread on a front tire to save their azz...oh they're fine with race compounds and race spec slicks...but once bridgestone starts cutting sipping/tread into their tires?....they can't make a front tire that doesn't "CUP OUT IN A HEARTBEAT" to save their sticky azz...not from what i've seen.

The BT002RS, which is different than the BT002, is an awesome tire for the aggressive canyon rider or trackday rider. But I wouldn't recommend it for someone who does more commuting than leaning. Its a hybrid between a sport tire and a race tire. I love it because that's how I ride, trackdays and canyons.

A 1 tire rule is a horrible idea. So was going to the tire rule in place, 17rears and 12 fronts(or something like that).

MotoGP is a PROTOTYPE series, period. Save the spec tire crap for stock series like WSBK and AMA.

And Michelin isn't struggling all that bad, Pedrosa has been winning poles and taking podiums and wins. Hayden has looked very strong, but has had bad luck. Rossi has been winning and taking podiums.
It seems like the Yamaha and Michelin combo are struggling more now than honda michelin.

I think Ducati's engine management and Stoner's ability are more of a factor than just bridgestones. Rossi and Pedrosa are 2nd and 3rd in the championship points. If bridgestone owned all 3 top spots, then I'd say it was the tire.

Rossi needs to win more races and make more coin to pay
back all the back taxes they say he owes. All $60 million and
perhaps as much as $150 million including fines and interest.

And Michelin isn't struggling all that bad, Pedrosa has been winning poles and taking podiums and wins.  Hayden has looked very strong, but has had bad luck.  Rossi has been winning and taking podiums.
It seems like the Yamaha and Michelin combo are struggling more now than honda michelin.

I think Ducati's engine management and Stoner's ability are more of a factor than just bridgestones.  Rossi and Pedrosa are 2nd and 3rd in the championship points.  If bridgestone owned all 3 top spots, then I'd say it was the tire.
+1!!

Charles and I were just talking about it this afternoon.

AS far as the Spec tire rule? Great for the R6 cup (as Stoner says) or WSBK. But leave it out of GP. I say make the rules as it was during the 990 era. All out, open war, do whatever you can to win!!

Well, the "one tire rule" has worked for NA$CAR...

Oh, wait, not really. From what I've seen (limited) everyone gets to bish about how much they hate the tire they have to run.

My respect for Rossi is diminishing with every new article I read about this crap. Like every form of business on earth (except prostitution maybe) someone is always building a better, stronger, faster mousetrap. This is no different. His technical partner is struggling and it is easy for him to blame the tires and or the bike for the lack of performance. One would think that this would be just the sort of impetus they needed to bring it on and improve the breed for next year. I am so fed up with it now I want to see Bridgestone give him a batch of tires for the next race and see if that makes him happy/shuts him up.

Give Stoner/Ducati/Bridegstone their due. They came into this year with just as much data and just as many unknowns as their competitors and they brought a gun (a real big one) to the knife fight.

P.S. Pedro Podiumed on those lowly Michelins today! Much as it sickens me to say that.
puke.gif

+1

I agree that Rossi is starting to really get on my nerves. It's one thing to say "we just didn't have anything for him (Stoner) today" and "Yamaha and Michelin better build me a competitive motorbike and tire next year or else."

Give credit where credit is due. Stoner outperformed him period. And with each new race win, Stoner proves his championship was no fluke. But it is hillarious to listen to all of the hard-core Rossi fans b*%tch, moan and make excuses for why the 7-time world champ didn't take it this year.

i say its a bad idea
it limits competition and advancements
why put more effort into R & D when there going to run ANY tire we make

besides NO ONE can be on top for ever
any one remember when Goddyear used to make the best road race tire in the world hands down
or how about 10 to 15 years years ago when Dunlop made the best road race tires

I dont understand this... Why would Bridgestone have a problem with supplying him tires?

Is Rossi's team under some sort of contract with Michelin and he wants out of it?

The last thing they need to do is make anything mandatorily equal, NASCAR has been castrated by that mindset and approach...

Rossi has turned into a baby!  I'm not running up front and winning every race so I'm gonna quit.  
lol1.gif

ohthedrama.gif

Don't forget he even said that he'll start racing Rally Cars if he doesn't get his Bridgestones.
Lamb has no doubt he could do it. That rally racing is really insane and the skill is undeniable. There is no way he is competitive in his first season, if he was to go there, and the same statements would come out of his mouth there too.

Lamb wishes he would shut his mouth and redouble his efforts to work with the team and close the gap that the Ducati has on the Yamaha teams!

Back