Computer virus protection

bigoltool

Registered
so my Norton Internet security package is about to expire and I am truly not a fan of their stuff. Anybody got any suggestions on what to replace it with?
banghead.gif

avg anti virus, grisoft company. Get there free version like yamahor suggested. There free version is rated at the top of the ones you pay for. I've had it for two years, no problems.
thumb_up.gif

I'm not a big fan of anything that says Symantec on it. In my ~17yrs in IT it's caused more problems than it's solved.

AVGfree is not bad at all for what it is.

Also as an alternative, BitDefender.com has a *very* good *free* browser based virusscan product (only a scan, not an active compoment). It installs an ActiveX control.

I use it a lot to scan webservers.

One of the groups that I have at work is Managed Services that we provide virus and firewalling for over 10,000 networks nationwide, we get all kinds of opportunites to work with other applications like antivirus and spyware .

We sell a package called McAfee Small Business systems it used to be called McAfee ASAP. Its fast, very lightweight and does a great job. If you do not have a hardware firewall the package comes with a software one, virus detection, adware and spyware along with what they call Site Advisor which integrates with google. You can get it all for about 35.00 and it works good. AVG is good but with anything free there are limitations...

I personally have had more issues with Symantec then any other protection out there... I have over 30k machines on Altiris and its now owned by Symantec so not all products are bad.....

just my .02

I would advise:

Avast Antivirus - FREE and auto updates
Spybot Search and Destroy -FREE update regularly
and
Zone Alarm (if not using Windows Firewall) -FREE and made by an industry leader in commercial firewall protection
and don't surf pR0n or expect trouble in the long run...

but if you stray....Lock the door and surf with:
http://www.freeproxy.ca/ FIRST and use
Mozilla Firefox web browser with all temp, cookies, history, and install settings turned off

Virus free over here!

Back