1957 vs. 2007

Scar

Seasoned Pilot
Donating Member
Registered
School 1957 vs. 2007

Scenario: Jack goes quail hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.
1957 - Principal comes over to look at Jack's shotgun. He goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.
2007 - School goes into lock down, and FBI is called. Jack is hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.
1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best friends. Nobody goes to jail; nobody is arrested; nobody is expelled.
2007 - Police called. SWAT team arrives. Johnny and Mark are arrested and charged with assault. Both are expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't be still in class, disrupts other students.
1957 - Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by the principal. He returns to class, sits still, and does not disrupt class again.
2007 - Jeffrey is diagnosed with ADD and given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. School gets extra money from state because Jeffrey has a learning disability.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.
1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.
2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is placed in foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself, and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has affair with psychologist.

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.
1957 - Mark shares aspirin with principal in the cafeteria.
2007 - Police called. Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. Car is searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Pedro fails high school English.
1957 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.
2007 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given a diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from 4th of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a red ant bed.
1957 - Ants die.
2007 - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco a and Firearms, Homeland Security, and FBI called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates parents; siblings are removed from home; computers confiscated. Johnny's dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Ms. Heather. Teacher hugs him to comfort him.
1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
2007 - Ms. Heather is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces three years in state prison. Johnny undergoes five years of therapy.

That actually scares me to think about. My wife agrees that things like this remind us why we have not brought a child into this world.

super.gif
PM -->
00busaTX @ Oct. 10 2007 said:
1197978[/ATTACH] PM]
That actually scares me to think about. My wife agrees that things like this remind us why we have not brought a child into this world.
Amen brother! We haven't either, and don't plan to.
+2.

super.gif

+1 on the dedicated non-breeder thingey. No way, no how.

Besides, at the core, I'm far too selfish to have children!!! ROFLMAO!

sad but true, just imagine what the ironic jokes will be like comparing 2057 to 2007! my kids (9 & 12) think I'm lying when I tell them stories of how things were when I was thier age... friendly neighbors, small town carnivals, safe to ride bicycles unsupervised, safe to go exploring in the woods, trails, dirt roads, and able to go fishing on local farmers ponds as long as we shut the gate behind us and left no trash. the only time a police officer would come to school would be once a year for the d.a.r.e. program, now they're posted at the middle schools and above. the days of liability suits and influx of sick minded people ruined it.
argue.gif

Until recently, I didn't know school-kids had been banned from delivering newspapers in the morning. Makes sense, but what an embarassing commentary on what society has become.

AMEN

Between everyone having to be PC... and the morality of our Country finally getting down to the LCD we're starting to bottom out.

I try to stay optimistic and hope for better in this land I fought for but honestly what Scar wrote is too close to the truth... and just look at the state of Wash DC and the posturing for 2008.
banghead.gif
banghead.gif
banghead.gif

I'd hate to be bringing up children today and I'm really glad mine are "old" (over 30).

banghead.gif

banghead.gif

AMEN

Between everyone having to be PC... and the morality of our Country finally getting down to the LCD we're starting to bottom out.

I try to stay optimistic and hope for better in this land I fought for but honestly what Scar wrote is too close to the truth... and just look at the state of Wash DC and the posturing for 2008.  
banghead.gif

banghead.gif

banghead.gif

I'd hate to be bringing up children today and I'm really glad mine are "old" (over 30).
SD1300: I cannot take credit for the material in the original post.
whistling.gif

I copied it and pasted it from an e-mail I received earlier today. It was too good to not share, however. I cannot take credit for it. All I can say is that I am SO GLAD I grew up when I did; and not today.

banghead.gif

banghead.gif

There were only 8 airports, a big difference to todays 14,000 airports. Another advantage American's have today that we did not have in 1957 is much more education. We have more schools and universities than any other country. America's unemployment rate has slightly declined over the last fifty years; although, the rate of poverty has risen due to the population growth.

Back