Calling all Techies

Jet Li

What is the AWESOME????
Donating Member
Registered
I am in the market for a new computer. I would like it to be able to play video, and load pics quickly. Also would like to write Cd's and DVD's.

Any advice on processor type, speed, storage capacity, brand, etc....would be appreciated as I have no clue except maybe something called a dual or duo processor?

Is this any good?

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Lightning-Fast-Dell-GX280-P4-3GHz-HT-Computer-Win-XP_W0QQitemZ320166300731QQihZ011QQcatego
ryZ140070QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">Likny</a>

(Jet Li @ Oct. 05 2007,19:20) Is this any good?

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Lightning-Fast-Dell-GX280-P4-3GHz-HT-Computer-Win-XP_W0QQitemZ320166300731QQihZ011QQcatego

ryZ140070QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">Likny</a>
And a spell checker
laugh.gif

The system you link to is not bad but it is old stuff. I would suggest that you stay away from the P4 and aim at a dual core of some type. PC's are like a quart of milk, they are going bad from the day you get them home.

2.8Ghz dual core or similar/160G or better hard drive/1G of ram for XP or 2Gb ram for Vista/DVD dual layer burner and 128M or better video card.

you can get laptops today that fill the bill and you can take it with you. I have a DV8000 HP that I think was around $1600 and there are better now for less money. HP and Toshiba are my preferred makers.

I can dig up some of the system builds I have done here lately but a custom build is going to run about $1000. You should be able to buy a decent desktop for $500-$900 and be in really good shape (Check walmart of all places)

If I were you, I would go AMD X2 on the proc... had tons of luck with mine in the past and on my main machine that i just build last year, I have really loved the setup. I am currently running current parts but they are getting old quick, but my system is still plenty fast and runs flawlessly. I use it for TiVo, streaming video, music, networking, and some gaming... Running:

AMD 4400 X2 Dual Core
Corsair XMS2 4GB Ram
Creative SoundBlaster F-Fi Pro Soundcard
EVGA 7900GT video card (soon to be SLI)
ASUS M2N32-SLI DELUXE with built in Wi-Fi (Love it)
Nvidia Cooling Fan (6 Pipes)
Cooler Max Centurion Case (Black Aluminum - Stays Cool)
Other odds and ends!

Let me know if you need some help

The trick is to max out RAM. 2GB is good, 4GB is better. This will do more for you than the processor (within limits).

If all you are doing is watching video, loading pics and burning CDs/DVDs, almost any PC will work for you. You want high end when you start playing certain games, doing video rendering and the like.

I use a P4 for all my stuff and it's fine. My daughter uses a P4 with photoshop and it's a little sluggish because of the 512MB ram. Need to upgrade the RAM and she should be fine.

For burning, if you have a DL (Dual-layer) DVD drive you're set. Lightscribe and all that are nice, but I'm not willing to pay more for DVDs just so it prints a pretty label. Markers are fine :D

Also, if you get the new Windows Vista, you will definitely need a ton of RAM.

I have a laptop available that might fit your needs, send me a PM if you interested...

<!--QuoteBeginJet Li+Oct. 05 2007,19:20-->
(Jet Li @ Oct. 05 2007,19:20) <!--QuoteEBegin-->Is this any good?

ryZ140070QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" onclick="window.open(this.href,'_blank');return false;">Likny</a>
And a spell checker
laugh.gif
Dennis, you suck!
thumb_down.gif

Thanks for the replies. At least now I have a place to start looking from.

the issue is unless you are buying a "business" system, you are not going to find any OS (PC anyway) except Vista.

Of the systems we have migrated to Vista, the P4 just is not a very good platform. 4G of memory is nice but unless you are running a lot of rendering, the system will run with about 50% reserve on 2G. XP does not like 4G btw..

Used laptops can be a bit of a minefield.. unless really cheap, we suggest to our clients that they purchase "new" with no fault warranty. (covers water, drops, broken screens) Also hard to beat a new laptop for $695

Acer Aspire 9410 17
Acer Aspire 9410 17" Widescreen Laptop PC w/ Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
# 17" widescreen color LCD display
# 1.73 GHz Intel Dual-Core processor T2080
# 2048 MB RAM, 120 GB hard drive
# DVD burner, Windows Vista Home Premium

$698.00

Randy
MCSE/MCSA

On laptops, something to think about is screen size. Randy mentions a 17" screen, but for portability, I think that's a bit big (I go with 15.4"). Also look at weight - that Acer weighs over 8 lbs. Not saying it's a bad machine, but take everything into consideration. Most people I know with 17" laptops keep them at home and don't lug them everywhere...

You didn't mention portability, so look for a desktop system with a widescreen monitor so you can watch movies
winkold.gif
in 16:9!

Side note on Dell's: Their customer service used to be good, but now they kinda could use work. Better to just buy the PC and call a local techie friend
smile.gif

dell has some smokin deals on notebooks too (Whiteles link above)... amazing how much prices have dropped in the last year on notebooks

Any more info on MAC's would be appreciated.

Is there software like Microsoft office for MAC's or does that work on MAC's now? I was looking into the iMac, pretty sweet setup, but I have always had PC's........

I really think I am leaning more toward a desktop instead of portable.

Back