Speeding? victimless crime?

kaosccw

Registered
Parents in Osceola County are outraged after an 11-year-old boy was hit and killed while crossing the street.

Austin Smith died Monday after he got off his school bus, crossed the road and was hit by a car along U.S. 192.

Some parents in Kissimmee stood out in the middle of the road, demanding people slow down for the sake of their children.

They said the area is so dangerous because there are no signs designating the area as a bus stop.

"Cars come flying through here all the time and it's crazy because there are a lot of buses that come through here," said James Tibbs.

The parents said they want signs, or a crossing guard, or speed restrictions posted.

Until there is a change out on their road, they said they will be out on the road, with their own signs next time.

What a shame. It sounds like such an easy fix. I mean come on just put some signs up, how hard is that.

Man I have to do that all the time in my neigbor Hood all the folks come screaming down the street and that is were I have to let my son ride his bike. Not to mention all the Neigbor hood kids do the same I have had to step in the middle of a cars path many time to get them to slow down for the kids on the street. Some time I think I need to break out the
guns.gif

There's no excuse for speeding in a neighborhood, around a school, especially a school bus, etc...

Didn't say how fast the car was going or even if speeding was the only cause...maybe just paying attention or maybe a cell phone was part of it.

rock.gif

speeding IS victimless crime. That article has nothing to do with speeding but luck of proper road maintenance.

If you don't have time to react to an 11 year old crossing the street where this happens frequently?

Speeding is victimless only if you don't hit anything or anyone.

I speed on limited access roads based on weather and road conditions. Never in construction or around schools and busses.

Keep in mind Wal-Mart's open 24 hours now.

Crime in that case is murder, not speeding. 11 years old can jump in front of car without looking. It is almost impossible to anticipate what he/she will do.

I`m deeply sorry for killed kid and his parents. I`m also sick and tired of pedestrians on the road. what if their negligence get my family killed because someone decided to cross the road at any place they want?

To play devils advocate, are you telling me an 11 year old cant judge the speed of a vehicle.
all_coholic.gif

Now if the car ran a stop sign or light, or even took a turn and hit him that one thing but he had to have seen the car OR was he not paying attention.

Either way, there is a time and place for speeding and a neighborhood is not it.

(heavybusa @ Oct. 03 2007,16:09) To play devils advocate, are you telling me an 11 year old cant judge the speed of a vehicle.
Let's see, when I was 11 I had limited judgement of anything.

(kaosccw @ Oct. 03 2007,16:17)
(heavybusa @ Oct. 03 2007,16:09) To play devils advocate, are you telling me an 11 year old cant judge the speed of a vehicle.
Let's see, when I was 11 I had limited judgement of anything.
Fair enough. I'm glad to see you survived.

How many times you seen kids running off the school bus looking around? They just don`t.. not because they kids but because they expecting everyone to stop.

(Vic_E55_2001 @ Oct. 03 2007,16:21) How many times you seen kids running off the school bus looking around? They just don`t.. not because they kids but because they expecting everyone to stop.
Very true, and if it werent for that big yellow bus with blinking lights guess what would happen.

I could go on a whole different tirade about kids these days.

All I'm saying is that there is ownership on both ends sometimes.

I'm glad I survived too. However, I didn't always look both ways. I grew up pre-Barney.

I'm just glad Vic wasn't coming down the road I guess.
biggrin.gif

(kaosccw @ Oct. 03 2007,16:26) I'm glad I survived too. However, I didn't always look both ways. I grew up pre-Barney.

I'm just glad Vic wasn't coming down the road I guess.
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif

(heavybusa @ Oct. 03 2007,14:24) All I'm saying is that there is ownership on both ends sometimes.
Everytime.
In some countries if you get into accident it is also 20% of your fault because you was there and did not prevented accident from happening.

Back