Need some opinions...

yamahor

DEAD MAN WALKING
Donating Member
Registered
So, I'm still trying to go to MMI, as Motorcycles are my life, but I need a decent job between now and then. Well, I have an oppurtunity, but it'll cost money for an education in it... Real estate.

Yep, you might get Yamahor the VA real estate agent. I wouldn't consider it with me moving to Florida for school, but I talked with my friend Robi, who is also a Broker and opening his own business (Hence my oppurtunity, and he's the one with the dirtbike I rode with last weekend) and he you have to get a license for each state you sell in, so I almost backed out, since I only have till March-ish around here anyway, till he told me the only 2 that are interchangable Licenses are Virginia annnnnddd???

FLORIDA! Yeah, so apparently if I get my license here in VA, I could sell in FLA while going to school there, then move back here, sell with Robi at his Brokerage, and do motorcycle builds on the side... What do yall think?

PS, it's $289 to get the schooling for the license. That's money I don't have now, but I could sell some stuff and get it...

Run away. The expeses do not stop with the schooling. you will need to get in with a broker, who will charge you rent for the office, desk, phone, chair, and anything else you need to use there. You will most likely also have to have a mentor for a while, who will be taking part, if not all, of the commisions in exchange for the experience you are getting under his tutalge. You will not be getting income as a realtor for probably a year.

I have my license in Oklahoma, although I no longer sell. It can be a good business, but say good bye to your weekends, sundays are open house days and also when new ads in the paper come out. I tried to do this part time, which could have been my problem. After school, the usual rates are 125 per month to be a member of the Multi List, office space like Busawhipped pointed out, and unless you get a really good deal, plan to give 51% of what you sell to your broker. If you want this, do it! If you are a people person and have patience, you can do it.
beerchug.gif

In addition to the costs cited above, you need to consider that selling houses is a relationship based business and it takes a long time to make money at it. I think the average time from contact to sale of a house is a few months. It is not quick money..

If you have the money to burn, try it! I'm sure you'll learn some good techniques. If you are planning on doing it to make money in a few months, I might look elsewhere....

yeah, dont plan on any immediate income. most i know do it as a side business, along with thier 9 to 5. Good luck on all, especially mmi!

(BusaWhipped @ Oct. 01 2007,16:08) Run away.  The expeses do not stop with the schooling.  you will need to get in with a broker, who will charge you rent for the office, desk, phone, chair, and anything else you need to use there.  You will most likely also have to have a mentor for a while, who will be taking part, if not all, of the commisions in exchange for the experience you are getting under his tutalge.  You will not be getting income as a realtor for probably a year.
As far as the tutulage and brokerage, I know the guy who owns the brokerage, so I'd be getting a deal there. However, I never thought about the costs of that, or the nonimmediate income... Otherwise, I think I'd be okay with it... I'll have to look ALOT deeper into this. Thanks guys!!!

(Revolution @ Oct. 01 2007,20:43) the market is bad right now. my wife is closing her brokerage, it's that bad. subprime loans, overflooding of houses on the market,...here's a link i just sent to my wife a minute ago:

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb....f=loans
+1

The market isn't in good shape right now. Not an ideal time to jump into real estate.

Not saying it can't be done, but it definately won't be easy.

This is my home's value in the last year
sad.gif

Luckily I've owned it for 3yrs, so I still have equity in it.

Hopefully it'll start to level out soon
crazy.gif

qp.jpg

Expect to spend 3 to 4 months working clients before you start getting an income. As an example, if you sold a house the first day on the job, both parties have a signed contract, it will be at least 30 days before you close, AKA, payday.

Back