Your Tax Dollars

kaosccw

Registered
Bush authorizes $25 million energy aid for N.Korea
Reuters

September 28, 2007

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President George W. Bush on Friday authorized $25 million in energy aid for North Korea as a reward for Pyongyang's movement toward dismantling its nuclear weapons program.

The president's action came as another round of six-party talks -- the United States, the two Koreas, Japan, Russia and China -- were held in Beijing on ending North Korea's nuclear arms ambitions.

Under an agreement reached in February, North Korea is to receive 950,000 metric tons of heavy fuel oil for taking steps toward dismantling its nuclear program.

The U.S. aid authorized on Friday would provide up to 50,000 metric tons of heavy fuel oil, the White House said, adding that China had provided an equal amount of the fuel to North Korea in September.

North Korea "has met its commitments to date with respect to shutting down the Yongbyon facilities" and allowing monitoring by the International Atomic Energy Agency, Gordon Johndroe, White House National Security Council spokesman, said.

Bush authorized the fuel aid after consultations with Congress were completed last week, a necessary step because North Korea is subject to U.S. sanctions.

The economically ailing country, which tested a nuclear device in October and is believed by U.S. officials to have enough plutonium to make at least eight or nine atomic bombs, is also subject to U.N. Security Council sanctions.

"The recent commitment by the DPRK (Democratic People's Republic of Korea) to complete a declaration of all its nuclear programs and disable all its existing nuclear facilities by December 31, 2007, can be seen as an indicator of North Korea's intention to meet the obligations of the February 13, 2007, Initial Actions agreement," Johndroe said.

"The United States is now pressing for rapid implementation of the 'next phase' of the Initial Actions agreement, in which the DPRK agreed to provide a complete declaration of all its nuclear programs and disablement of all existing nuclear facilities," Johndroe said.

South Korea and China have delivered fuel, Russia is expected to participate in energy assistance, but Japan has indicated that it will not supply energy aid unless North Korea addresses the abductions issue, he said. North Korea has admitted kidnapping Japanese citizens in the 1970s and 1980s and Tokyo wants more information on them.

"All parties, including the DPRK and the United States, need to follow through on their commitments in order to maintain and build momentum in the six-party process," Johndroe said.

Economists like to call that a "DROP IN THE BUCKET". I like to call it a BUCKETLOAD OF BULLSH!T. This is the burden of the world's wealthiest country. I'd be happy to send them that much if that Jackass of a leader were eliminated. Those poor people have it rough there.

(Projekt @ Sep. 30 2007,08:29) Economists like to call that a "DROP IN THE BUCKET". I like to call it a BUCKETLOAD OF BULLSH!T. This is the burden of the world's wealthiest country. I'd be happy to send them that much if that Jackass of a leader were eliminated. Those poor people have it rough there.
Be careful what you ask for... you never know who will replace him .... There could be someone worse...

(Projekt @ Sep. 30 2007,08
super.gif
) Economists like to call that a "DROP IN THE BUCKET". I like to call it a BUCKETLOAD OF BULLSH!T. This is the burden of the world's wealthiest country. I'd be happy to send them that much if that Jackass of a leader were eliminated. Those poor people have it rough there.
Be careful what you ask for... you never know who will replace him .... There could be someone worse...

(Projekt @ Sep. 30 2007,08
super.gif
) I'd be happy to send them that much if that Jackass of a leader were eliminated. Those poor people have it rough there.
I say keep it closer to home. I'm sure you can find some poor people that have it rough betweeen here and there.

I'm guessing you wouldn't have to leave our borders.

Yeah no question about that.
I doubt that $25million would go very far to rebuilding all of the lower ninth ward in New Orleans. For that matter a handout like that used domestically would more than likely end up in the hands of the rich anyway.
This administration probably sees it as a small price to pay compared to billions that would be spent in all out war.

"This administration". Sure, the slickster did a much better job of containing the threat from North Korea....oh wait...no he didnt. He actually helped them build their nuclear program. Sigh. "This administration". Im wondering how long after George W. Bush leaves office before everything stops getting blamed on him. What do you say....2021 maybe? Until then, I believe everything will be his fault. Sound about right?

Back