Why wear leathers?

Mr Bogus

Trouble Makers Inc.
Donating Member
Registered
Ever seen how many ride in shorts and t-shirts? Ever ride the gap? tons there too of all places..

This link (and I am warning you now, it is VERY GRAPHIC) is posted by the girl in the images (GRAPHIC CONTENT) and is not for the squeamish.

If you have anyone that thinks jeans and a tshirt are acceptable riding apparel, this might be just the ticket..

Old saying: Don't dress for the ride, dress for the fall...

AGAIN: GRAPHIC CONTENT NOT SUITABLE FOR THE SQUEEMISH

HORRIBLE ROAD RASH TALE

Thanks for posting. Like the old saying goes, you can wipe off sweat but not road rash. I always wear full leather gloves,jacket,7" high boots, padded garments under my jeans, even when temps are in the high 90's

"I ended up on my stomach, with my right arm pinned underneath me and my left arm extended out onto the road. My clothes were shredded, my helmet was ******, and my shoes were gone... they had all been claimed by the cement. My injuries included, but were not limited to, 50 percent body coverage of third degree "pavement" burns , which we lovingly call "road rash." To get an idea of what this means, some of my bones, tendons, and even internal organs were exposed in several places, and chunks of muscle and skin were completly missing. I lost half of my left breast (which I still am sad about). I also dislocated my right big toe and severed all the tendons in my left pinky finger. However, I didn't break any bones whatsoever. This is probably because I let myself go limp, as I just wanted to die while I tumbled on the cement. The ambulance arrived 45 minutes later because we were out in the middle of nowhere (Indian Reservation!). Once the Paramedics realized the extent of my injuries, they called the helicopter out and flew me to UNMH, where I stayed until just yesterday. So, after 8 surguries and 2 long months in the hospital, I am happy to report that I am home and alright. But, I did have to learn to walk again, and my scars will never go away, and many scars I do have."

Remember that any good leather or textile can be your friend but ARMOR can be your saviour.  Jeans are made out of cotton!  On the hottest of days I have ridden in jeans but with EVS hard knee and shin armor underneath.  Giving up on hip and azz protection but I'm mostly worried about my knees.

Yup. Road Rash Chick. She hit the pavement a few years ago about 10 miles from where I live.

Scary what the asphalt can do to you.

--Wag--

Took a lot of humility to lay that out in print and pics. Thanks to the gal for her contribution.........
super.gif
super.gif
super.gif
super.gif
super.gif

super.gif

super.gif

super.gif

super.gif

Anybody got Pacman's rash post? Couldn't find it, it hasn't been posted in a while...
smile.gif

I think she was the same passenger that was featured in the back of a SportRider magazine. It looked like her boyfriend tucked the front end and they low sided. She was only wearing shorts, spagetti-strap tank top, backpack and tennis shoes. Her BF only had t-shirt, helmet, jeans and tennis shoes.

O.k I'm surprised that no one else has reconised
these pics as being from the web site Live to Ride
Ride to Die. If you really want a wake up call check out
that web site...........

rock.gif

(Wag @ Sep. 27 2007,05:55) Yup.  Road Rash Chick.  She hit the pavement a few years ago about 10 miles from where I live.

--Wag--
WAG... you've met her at Bike Night as well... I think. Did you ever go when it was over at the Billet Grill? Brit use to come over there once in a while...

(MrGxr @ Sep. 27 2007,20:57)
(Wag @ Sep. 27 2007,05:55) Yup. Road Rash Chick. She hit the pavement a few years ago about 10 miles from where I live.

--Wag--
WAG... you've met her at Bike Night as well... I think. Did you ever go when it was over at the Billet Grill? Brit use to come over there once in a while...
I never went to the BG Bike Night, ergo, never met her. One of the guys I work with used to date her . . . .

--Wag--

I allways use leathers but recently came across kevlar lined jeans which I purchased. In hot weather they are great but it's taking some time to get used to the thought that I'm not in leathers.

Back