Barber Motorsports Park

LA Busa

Top 5 Femme Moto Finisher
Donating Member
Registered
Ed Bargy Racing School:
First, for any of you that may be interested Ed Bargy is a fantastic, hyper knowledgeable instructor for either beginners or experienced motorcycle racers. He runs a tight ship and there is very little BS’n around with this guy. The class was $400.00 and it was worth every penny. My 23 year old and I took his course at Barber Motorsports Park on Friday Sept. 21. I rode the Busa and my boy was on a Ninja 650.

We entered the tech inspection area at 6:50am and at 6:30pm the class was over. Between those times there were no breaks, no down time, no time to take pics or film anything, no fluff, nothing but teaching from Mr. Bargy and his 6 assistant instructors – via alternating class and track sessions. The first class sessions were held on the track in segments – I say on the track because we actually “walked†the track on our bikes stopping at each turn for a Q and A session. We would ride to one turn, shut’m down and talk. Ride to the next turn or change in elevation and talk etc.

We did eat lunch but what happened there was an assistant brought in boxed sandwich meals, we grabbed them and while we ate, Ed instructed.

When he was done with a class session he’d look at his little clock, say “7 minutes to track session folks†and it was a** and elbows to get down stairs and saddle up and hit the starting grid. Once the track session was over it was “ok folks, back to the third floor†and you put your bike on a stand and hustled back to the top of the race control building for more class time.

I learned more about riding a motorcycle in this class than I have learned in everything I have ever done previous to taking it – no shi**. Braking, throttle, hand inputs, foot inputs, balance, rake, trail, entry, exit, apex, you name it, we covered it from the bike, to the rider. Phrases like “Smooth is Fast†we will “Separate the men from the boys without separating them from their bikes†“when all else has failed you, TURNâ€

In the third track session my knee hit in turn 13 and again and again after that. I was establishing braking and shifting points, hitting my lines and TONS of folks, instructors included were coming over and telling me how me (and Mr. Busa) were doing. The stator cover is worn off from leaning it over but other than that the Busa came out great. One instructor approached me after a session, asked if that was my bike and placed his hands over his head and starting bowing, he said “you are a beastâ€. Another guy, a track student, came up after another track session and asked me “do you like your plastics?†I told him that I did and he said “well you need to stop leaning that thing over then because they are nearly dragging the racing surface!â€
In short, the Busa went from being looked at like it did not belong there (a drag racing bike) to a bike that several came up to me to compliment and one guy, at the end of the day told me that several students were saying that it was not fair, they could out brake me, they could out turn me but when we stood back up they had no chance on the short Barber straights because…. they didn’t. In the straights the Busa pulled like a F’n rocket!

I am not saying the Busa is a track bike because it is not! Its too heavy. But as some of you know, if it is treated with respect and kept within its (and the rider’s) capabilities it can do pretty well! Mine is nearly stock and frankly, I suck as a rider BUT I am getting better – we were not the slowest!

If you have the opportunity I would highly recommend taking Mr. Bargy’s classes. He is clearly a motorcycle lover and an experienced motorcycle racer and he loves to teach, listen to and interact with his students and his assistants were some of the nicest, most understanding people that could have been assembled to help us all out. They cared, they taught and we all learned. I left with a WERA racing cert but I’ll never use it, I was just there to learn.

There was a lady there taking Kill Boy- esque pics but other than that I have very little because as I said. We had NO TIME to do anything but learn and ride, learn and ride all day. I have her website and hope that she got some of us hitting Barber’s turns but I don’t figure they will be up until early this next week. By the way, that entire facility is WORLD CLASS – before you die, you HAVE to go to the museum, it’s the best $10 you will ever spend!

Ok, like I said, I have no self made pics other than us milling around but here are a few. If I can get some from the lady taking pics of us riding I will buy them and post them up.

Tech Area
ImageShack Links Do Not Work

My bike behind the kid's Ninja - his bike says AHHH! on the nose, kids these days eh?

Nose Job

Turn 8 MY NEMISIS!

Molten Front Tire! This was the fist time I have EVER even seen a track, let alone ride on one, but my goodness. We COOKED, literally cooked, our tires! They were so hot that you could pull rubber balls off of them... $300 worth of Michelins, nearly shot in one day...

Joe Rocket Pucks / $36.00 plus shipping. Scratching them all to hel* on Barber's racing surface / Priceless!  
biggrin.gif

Congrats on the great experience at the school. Once my body has recovered, I want to take a school, somewhere....

I know it will improve my riding has it did for you my friend.

Now, when is the 1st trackday?

Randy, that is awesome. I would love to do that class one day. Hey Don, hint hint, you up for it. Sounds like you had a great time and came home with a great deal of knowledge. Congrats to you my friend. We will miss you and Dawn at the bash but what you learned has made you a better and safer rider.
beerchug.gif

Tim
smile.gif

(vman1300 @ Sep. 22 2007,17:12) Congrats on the great experience at the school. Once my body has recovered, I want to take a school, somewhere....

Kev, we have to let this class sink in. We plan to join one of the track day organizations, not sure which, and will hit Barber again, probably in early '08. After that, we have to save some bux cause I will not miss another Bash!

(YH2K @ Sep. 22 2007,20:24)
(vman1300 @ Sep. 22 2007,17:12) Congrats on the great experience at the school. Once my body has recovered, I want to take a school, somewhere....

Kev, we have to let this class sink in. We plan to join one of the track day organizations, not sure which, and will hit Barber again, probably in early '08. After that, we have to save some bux cause I will not miss another Bash!
If all goes well I will be at Barber Nov 12th....

(georgiabusa_05 @ Sep. 22 2007,17:17) Randy, that is awesome. I would love to do that class one day.  Hey Don, hint hint, you up for it. Sounds like you had a great time and came home with a great deal of knowledge.  Congrats to you my friend. We will miss you and Dawn at the bash but what you learned has made you a better and safer rider.  
beerchug.gif

Tim  
smile.gif
Tim, I kid you not my friend:

Anything you have ever done on the street will be like tiddly winks compared to what you will do on a track!

What you thought you knew, you didnt.
What you thought was cool, was mundane.

This morning when I should have been sleeping off yesterday my phone kept ringing. Riding buddies calling asking how it all went.

I told each of them:
If you ride a sport bike and have never ridden a track, you have not ridden a sport bike.

(vman1300 @ Sep. 22 2007,17:30)

Heres to all going well my friend!
beerchug.gif

Its a gorgeous facility!

Congrats, dude. Welcome to the addiction!

My mind has still not come home from Miller. I can't quit thinking about it.

Let us know how you're doing in three weeks!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

--Wag--

biggrin.gif

(Wag @ Sep. 23 2007,06:43) Congrats, dude.  Welcome to the addiction!

My mind has still not come home from Miller.  I can't quit thinking about it.

Let us know how you're doing in three weeks!  
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

--Wag--
Thats funny, I can certainly relate.

Doctor, I'll call ya in 3 weeks!

That is if my wife dont kill me.....
I REALLY need a trailer!

biggrin.gif

Great write up and looks like a class everyone should take. I definitely need to do some research on the next class dates.
beerchug.gif

Glad to hear that you had such a good time
beerchug.gif

EVERYBODY needs to get to the track at least once
wink.gif

Looks like we have another track junkie in the making
tounge.gif
super.gif

beerchug.gif
Thats so cool Randy, Glad you enjoyed yourself..
bowdown.gif

I would love to do one myself sometime..
super.gif

Trackdays Rock!!
super.gif
super.gif

I'd love to do one of the race schools
biggrin.gif

To keep from dragging hard parts, consider raising the rear an 1" and re-springing the front forks for your weight
beerchug.gif

super.gif

(vman1300 @ Sep. 22 2007,19:30)

Have we picked a date for the 08 east coast Hayabusa track day a Barber?

(YH2K @ Sep. 22 2007,18:46) Ed Bargy Racing School:
First, for any of you that may be interested Ed Bargy is a fantastic, hyper knowledgeable instructor for either beginners or experienced motorcycle racers. He runs a tight ship and there is very little BS’n around with this guy. The class was $400.00 and it was worth every penny. My 23 year old and I took his course at Barber Motorsports Park on Friday Sept. 21. I rode the Busa and my boy was on a Ninja 650.

We entered the tech inspection area at 6:50am and at 6:30pm the class was over. Between those times there were no breaks, no down time, no time to take pics or film anything, no fluff, nothing but teaching from Mr. Bargy and his 6 assistant instructors – via alternating class and track sessions. The first class sessions were held on the track in segments – I say on the track because we actually “walked†the track on our bikes stopping at each turn for a Q and A session. We would ride to one turn, shut’m down and talk. Ride to the next turn or change in elevation and talk etc.

We did eat lunch but what happened there was an assistant brought in boxed sandwich meals, we grabbed them and while we ate, Ed instructed.

When he was done with a class session he’d look at his little clock, say “7 minutes to track session folks†and it was a** and elbows to get down stairs and saddle up and hit the starting grid. Once the track session was over it was “ok folks, back to the third floor†and you put your bike on a stand and hustled back to the top of the race control building for more class time.

I learned more about riding a motorcycle in this class than I have learned in everything I have ever done previous to taking it – no shi**. Braking, throttle, hand inputs, foot inputs, balance, rake, trail, entry, exit, apex, you name it, we covered it from the bike, to the rider. Phrases like “Smooth is Fast†we will “Separate the men from the boys without separating them from their bikes†“when all else has failed you, TURNâ€

In the third track session my knee hit in turn 13 and again and again after that. I was establishing braking and shifting points, hitting my lines and TONS of folks, instructors included were coming over and telling me how me (and Mr. Busa) were doing. The stator cover is worn off from leaning it over but other than that the Busa came out great. One instructor approached me after a session, asked if that was my bike and placed his hands over his head and starting bowing, he said “you are a beastâ€. Another guy, a track student, came up after another track session and asked me “do you like your plastics?†I told him that I did and he said “well you need to stop leaning that thing over then because they are nearly dragging the racing surface!â€
In short, the Busa went from being looked at like it did not belong there (a drag racing bike) to a bike that several came up to me to compliment and one guy, at the end of the day told me that several students were saying that it was not fair, they could out brake me, they could out turn me but when we stood back up they had no chance on the short Barber straights because…. they didn’t. In the straights the Busa pulled like a F’n rocket!

I am not saying the Busa is a track bike because it is not! Its too heavy. But as some of you know, if it is treated with respect and kept within its (and the rider’s) capabilities it can do pretty well! Mine is nearly stock and frankly, I suck as a rider BUT I am getting better – we were not the slowest!

If you have the opportunity I would highly recommend taking Mr. Bargy’s classes. He is clearly a motorcycle lover and an experienced motorcycle racer and he loves to teach, listen to and interact with his students and his assistants were some of the nicest, most understanding people that could have been assembled to help us all out. They cared, they taught and we all learned. I left with a WERA racing cert but I’ll never use it, I was just there to learn.

There was a lady there taking Kill Boy- esque pics but other than that I have very little because as I said. We had NO TIME to do anything but learn and ride, learn and ride all day. I have her website and hope that she got some of us hitting Barber’s turns but I don’t figure they will be up until early this next week. By the way, that entire facility is WORLD CLASS – before you die, you HAVE to go to the museum, it’s the best $10 you will ever spend!

Ok, like I said, I have no self made pics other than us milling around but here are a few. If I can get some from the lady taking pics of us riding I will buy them and post them up.
Glad you had a great time. +1 about the street being lame compared to the track.

(Charlesbusa @ Sep. 23 2007,10:47) Trackdays Rock!!  
super.gif

super.gif

I'd love to do one of the race schools
biggrin.gif

To keep from dragging hard parts, consider raising the rear an 1" and re-springing the front forks for your weight  
beerchug.gif
I was surprised that I was dragging the stator cover since I am tentative (uhem awful) turning left.

Good point on raising the bike though, I'll have to check that one out!

super.gif

Back