Need some IT help

GSXTacy

Mr. January
Donating Member
Registered
I cant get my linksys router to broadcast a signal, need some help here.
pissed.gif

Why would you want it to broadcast? Turning off the broadcast is one of the first things you do to secure your router.

Maybe he meant to say connect to the other PC's in the house.
rock.gif

If I were home, I'd be able to walk you through this in a few minutes. You need to log into the router from your desktop and determine what type of security is set. For exampe, if you are using WEP, you need to enter the key into your network config on the laptop.

I'm assuming this is an existing router with a new laptop?

New laptop wireless card. I logged onto the router and got the key, but dont see anyplace to input it on the laptop.

Ok, just to make sure I understand what you are trying to troubleshoot

1) Are you using Cable or DSL?
2) Has you cable/DSL modem synced with your carrier?
3) If yes, can you connect your PC directly to the Ethernet port on the MODEM and get to the internet?
4) If yes, can you connect the Router to the MODEM, and then connect the same PC to the ethernet port of the Router, and connect to the Internet?
5) If yes, then you need to access the management console for Linksys.

Let me know if the above are helping you, and if you need more help with Wireless, I might be able to help you out.

Hope this helps.

If it helps at all, I can see the neighbors wireless signal, but not mine.

(GSXTacy @ Sep. 21 2007,23:20) New laptop wireless card. I logged onto the router and got the key, but dont see anyplace to input it on the laptop.
Do you have the wireless icon in the system tray at the bottom right of the screen? if so, double click it and it will open the wireless connection screen.

(GSXTacy @ Sep. 21 2007,23:23) If it helps at all, I can see the neighbors wireless signal, but not mine.
That's why you turn broadcast off, so that others don't see your network. Even 128 bit WEP encription can be broken relatively easily if one was so inclined.

ok, if your not seeing your SSID (it is one of the most important part of configuring your wireless router)
then you must have turned off "Broadcast". Think of SSID like a CB radio. If you tell your friends to talk on channel 10, then only those friend will hear the actuall conversation, UNLESS, someone happens to be scanning, and hears the coversation.

Try the following steps:

1) Bring your browser.
2) Type in the following Address: 192.168.1.1
3) If you haven't change the password, then type in admin for the password. Don't put anything for the user name.
4) You should see the Linksys management console come up
5) Now look for the wireless configuration tab
6) Once you find it , find out what is the SSID field value is
7) If you have not changed it, I woudl HIGHLY recommend you change the SSID... and remember it. Also, for the time being, turn the broadcasting back on, as a check to see if your router is actually broadcasting your SSID.
8) Next to secure your router/Wireless network, select WEP for encryption.
9) This will make sure your neighbors will not steal your signal
10) Now when your doing the config portion of the WEP, the router will prompt you for Passphrase. Come up with a good passphrase, like "2LetMeIn".
11) The router will now generate 4 keys for you.
12) Use key 1, and make sure everyone of your wirelesss devices will have that key configured on them.
13) Once your finished the above Configs, then press the "Apply" button. (Very important).

Try these and let me know what you find out...

Good Luck

If your icon is indicating it's not seeing the PCMCIA (Wireless card) card, then you need to reinstall the driver that came with the card (if you haven't done it yet)

also try this:
1) go to start
2) Select my network places, and click on it
3) Select view network connections on the left
4) Click on the icon
5) YOu should see the type of interfaces that you have
6) Do you see your wireless card

Thanks for all the help guys. Talked to Dennis on the phone to no avail. I'm done cussing for the night. I have done almost everything that you guys have suggested twice. No luck. Ill let a pro (cousin) look at it Saturday. Thanks again.

+1 SSID isn't being broadcast.... Need to turn it on just long enough for your router to see and communicate with your wireless device! Plus, rename it and CHANGE THE ADMIN FACTORY PASSWORD!

well assuming you are able to connect to the internet.. (well you are posting anyway).

if your desktop computer is plugged into the router (and it should be) it is pretty easy to get help.

Using MSN messenger or the "Help" button from the start menu. I or any other tech can log on to your system, log on to the router and make sure it is setup correctly. (B-train sounds like he might do this for a living also).

Before that happens, right click "my computer" left click properties/ left click Remote and make sure that the "allow remote invitations" is checked.

All you need then is someone to invite, (you can also watch what ever they are doing) I use this every day so that I do not have to run around to various offices and address user issues
smile.gif

Back