Mom is trying to give up

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
Dad got a call from Mom tonight at about 1900. She said that she was tired of the hurting and she didn't care anymore.

Because of her weight, her back hurts in that hospital bed. They got her a new different kind of bed yesterday but it didn't help much. She is on morphine but that only lasts for so long and they are trying to limit the amount they give her because she has kidney problems anyway.

Not real sure what we are going to do. We will be up there at 0900 in the morning. There are a couple of issues we need to take up with the nursing staff. They haven't been doing some of the things they could have to make her more comfortable. We didn't find out until today that these thing were even allowed. We are really upset about Mom's mental state and the fact that had the nursing staff been doing some of these things for her, her mental state might be better. I am flying home on Saturday.

Not sure what happens next. The Dr. says that she is getting better every day, but if she gives up the will to live, she will never leave the hospital to come home.

Dr. said that she will be in there for at least the rest of the month and when she leaves the hospital, she will probably go to a rehab center because she is so weak from inactivity. Thanks for letting me share.

Don

Thanks Ben, hopefully after the ass-ripping the nursing director for that unit is going to get in the morning, things will get better and mom's state of mind will improve.

Don

sad.gif

Hate to hear that
sad.gif

But hopefully her mental state will improve as her body heals.

Keep your head up Don. You have friends here if you need us. PM sent.

You and your family are in our prayers. Remember, God will never put more on you than you can bear.

Man hate to hear this my brother you stay strong for your mom and let em have it both barrels... Will be keeping you and the family in all of our prayers.

Our prayers are with you Don.

Hang in there and get mom to hang in too. Her attitude is very important to her care.. Sounds like she may be in a down state, but if the Doc says she it is looking up, then encourage her. Small achievements.

It may be tough, but we're pulling for you and mom!!!

continuing to send prayers for your mom...keep going up the command ladder at the hospital until you find someone who is going to make it right...and like the other guys said, keep encouraging her and do whatever you can to keep her spirits up

Wish I could tell you what to say to her to get her mood and mental state into positive mode again. I assume she did this surgery to improve her quality of life and now that it's taking as long as it is, it must be getting depressing again.

In spite of any potential negligence by the hospital staff, I'm hoping she'll remember her reasons for this step in her life and tough it out until it pays off.

I'm hoping you'll be okay too, man. This must be pretty tough on you and the rest of the family. I'm pulling for her and for you, bro.

--Wag--

Constant pain can really mess with a person's head. Sometimes dying is a more viable option than dealing with it.

Make sure you talk with the nurse coordinator and that they do everything possible to make her comfortable. It'll help tremendously.

I hope she is feeling better soon.

Don I am so Sorry to here this. I know you and your dad just want to tear in to the Nurses for not doing their jobs to the fullest but be caerful man you don't want them hurting your mom when you guys are not around this happens at hospitals all the time. I will keep you guys in my prayers and if you need anything you have my number.

Actually that is really normal for a Person to get depressed after an operation and continual pain. Just keep praying for her and giving her MASSIVE support on her recovery. Continue supporting her by telling her she is getting better and YOU can see it.

I know we'll keep her in our Prayers and you also !

I'm so sorry to hear about this. Your mom is in my prayers.

Check with the hospital and see if they have a patient advocate, maybe called something else in that area but these people help you with issues you have with the Doctors, nurses and hospital.

We used them when my son was in the hospital and wasn't getting the care we thought he should have. We had a meeting with the Doctor to get a few things straight and remind him that our son was not just another person in that bed but that he had a family that love, cared and missed him. The difference was night and day after that. It's worth a try.

If all else fails you do have the option of moving her to another hospital if you feel she is not getting the proper care.

Don, my thoughts are with you and your family. I almost lost my 89 year old father a few months ago after a long hospital stay. He had lost the will to go on. One thing that helped him was that he loves his dogs, and really missed them. When I talked with him I let him know they really missed him too, and they needed him to get better and come home and take care of them. Perhaps you could get a card to her from her pooch, telling her how much he misses her, signed with a paw print. A picture of the dog may provide some comfort to mom too. My God bless your mom and your family.

Back