Thoughts on Cars

Projekt

Registered
Fellas (and ladies),
Been doing some thinking and would like some opinions. I have a (bad) habit of buying used (older than five years) vehicles and fixing them up to be reliable drivers. Problem is that I am starting to tire of the eventual nickle and diming associated with this practice. Sometimes all I want to do is have a new or near new car for the minimal maintenance aspect and image. However, the junkyard dog in me can never stay quiet and I end up buying something low priced that needs a little work or upgrades to suit my taste. Being that I am very mechanically inclined this usually is okay.
Since I am in Iraq at this time I can think things over to avoid doing the same thing when I head back home.
So, what do you guys do in this situation? Will I ever outgrow the fear of buying a new car? Will I ever outgrow the desire to buy cheap and fix-up?
Advice? Suggestions?

Imagine having FIRST scratch on that new and shiny car.

Buy used, make it better then new and be proud of yourself.

Yeah, what he said! That is what I did with my mustang. She a 90 model, and needed all kinds of TLC. AND.........its paid for.

(kaosccw @ Sep. 08 2007,12:53) Buy one just a couple of years old. Let somone else enjoy that new car depreciation.
I'm the same way.......hate new cars,to me they are worth 1/2 what the dealers want for them. Plastic cheap interiors,plastic bumpers,quality control sucks these days....

I'd rather buy a few years older and pay 1/2 the price.
beerchug.gif

I prefer buying older used cars and fixing them up, but if you must get a new car, haggle the best damn deal you can so as to avoid the big hit in depreciation. I bought an 06 Nissan Titan pickup truck and haggled for about a week on it, until I got it for about 14 thousand off the price. I was happy and no big loss in depreciation.

Only buy new if you plan on keeping it forever like I do, lol...My dodge was new 1997, the Honda CRV new 1999 and a couple of years ago I bought a cherry sebring convertible from my nieghbor, 1998. If you can find a great deal, I say by used. It use to be that years ago everyone would buy a car and trade it in at 80,000 miles or so but nowadays if someone just doesn't like the interior or color they'll trade it in on a new one...There are some good deals out there...

I'm a mechanic and got tired of working on my own stuff so I went out and bought an 08 for me and a 03 with extended warranty that expires in 2010 or 85k for my wifey. FREE AT LAST... I'll never want an old car again except for the old Vette that sleeps in the garage with my ladies(bikes).

(twotonevert @ Sep. 08 2007,12:15) Yeah, what he said! That is what I did with my mustang. She a 90 model, and needed all kinds of TLC. AND.........its paid for.
Yeah, I am with you on that. I have owned several 5.0s 1985GT, 1988 Vert, 1991LX, 1993LX and they are fun to mod and tinker with. However, the damn gas mileage is lousy especially considering these prices lately.

I buy new and keep 'em running for as long as possible. I get it the way I want it, I break it in the way I want to drive it, I know exactly what it's been through and I have all the records on the vehicle.

(ike @ Sep. 08 2007,20:42) I'm a mechanic and got tired of working on my own stuff so I went out and bought an 08 for me and a 03 with extended warranty that expires in 2010 or 85k for my wifey. FREE AT LAST... I'll never want an old car again except for the old Vette that sleeps in the garage with my ladies(bikes).
same here dude.after working on crap daily at work,you don't want to do it when ya get home.

(Projekt @ Sep. 09 2007,04:49)
(twotonevert @ Sep. 08 2007,12:15) Yeah, what he said! That is what I did with my mustang. She a 90 model, and needed all kinds of TLC. AND.........its paid for.
Yeah, I am with you on that. I have owned several 5.0s 1985GT, 1988 Vert, 1991LX, 1993LX and they are fun to mod and tinker with. However, the damn gas mileage is lousy especially considering these prices lately.
I hear ya bro. The good thing is, none of my vehicles are daily drivers, my wife and I are blessed with company vehicles. My stang get about 20 mpg if I drive it right
firedevil.gif
, not so good on the Denali.

I have been in the car business for about 17 years. My thinking is that if you get tired of a vehicle after a couple of years and want something else, leasing a new vehicle, depending on how many miles you drive and how you take care of a vehicle, or a used vehicle is a good option. New vehicles, domestics in particular, loose the most value in the first three years. I sell a ton of Honda certified used vehicles. They cost less than new and have a bumper to bumper warranty for 1 year or 12,000 miles, and powertrain warranty for 100,000 miles, and they have a great resale value when you are ready to trade or sell. Toyota and others have certified programs too. Many certified used car programs also have special low interest rates available if you finance the vehicle. If you keep a car for a long time, new could be the way to go. Although prices have gone up over the years, you can get some great deals on almost any vehicle you want now. I have never seen incentives as good as they are now. If you go new, research the price and incentives, shop for a loan BEFORE you go to the dealer. Most dealers finance dept. can meet or beat any rate you can get on your own, but you need to let them know where they need to be to earn your business.

Buy somebody elses creation and be done with it. I have been wanting to mod the hell out of my stang, but I know I will never get the money back out of it. If I was smart and wanted a 600hp car, I would have looked through the classifieds, and ebay and bought someone elses car that they are trying to dump. Just my .02.

Though buying brand new is nice, you get warranty, and nice new smelling leather. The only other thing about buying brand new is the payments, I freaking hate payments.

I know I probably just confused you and now you don't know what to do, but either do I...lol

I just Sold My 2004 Durango ( HEMI ) Because I HATE PAYMENTS also. The only problem is that All I have left after OWNING the BUSA
super.gif
is about $2500. Shopping on Craigs Lists Leads me to believe most of these cars are SH..
SHOCKED.gif

I hear you fellas.... I hate making payments too. I'd have to pay cash up front for anything even new... So, I am thinking about a used Cadillac CTS-V or an '03-04 Cobra. By the time I get out of Iraq they ought to be more affordable. Then I can spring for all of the mods to make them unbeatable.

Back