8GB usb drive $80

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
I was about to buy a 4 gigger, then this 8GB jumped out at me. Yeah, yeah, I know they will be $6.99 next week, but I'm heading out of town and needed some fast RAM.

Officemax, of all places had a deal: $79 8GB Flash drive and fits in my watch pocket. 2 DVDs in size. Now I can pack all my games, tons of music, and even a movie or three

if anyone cares about this kinda thing

http://www.officemax.com/max....1579069

That's a pretty good price for a retail store.

If you could have waited a couple days for shipping, you could have got an 8g off of ebay for $60.

I'll need to pick me up one when the price drops a bit.

oooh! Newgg.com has 16GB [same physical size] for $132! stuff gettin crazy

I think that's about the size of the hard drive on my first computer.
SHOCKED.gif

(justin726 @ Aug. 30 2007,13:48) I think that's about the size of the hard drive on my first computer.  
SHOCKED.gif
Hard drives didn't even exist when I got started.

My first computer (TRS-80 model III) used a cassette deck to store programs and had 16K of ram.
16K upgrade kits were $200 each. It cost $400 to hit its max of 48K not including installation.
The 5 1/4" floppy disk drive option added $1000 to the price and offered 134K of storage space.
A 5 meg hard drive was eventually released. Housed in an external case it was close to the size of a cinder block and weighed over 10 lbs. Price tag was $5,000.00.
Needless to say my Trash 80 stayed barebones for quite a while.

Around '83 I started hacking it and doing major upgrades. First was getting online with Compuserve. $12 per hour at 300 baud. I used it no more than 2 hours a month as I had to mow 2 lawns for each hour I spent online.
Eventually I figured out the telnet phone number offered access to not only Compuserve but computers all over the world. A NASA switch packing station was my most impressive score followed by the local electric company.

The first hard drive I ever bought was was for my Tandy 1000SL. It was a monster at 32 meg using RLL encoding verses the older MFM. It was close to $400 bucks.

I still have my old Model III and used it every so often for fun up until a few months ago when the power supply caught on fire. After 26 years something had to fail. She'll live again though.
smile.gif

I bet most people today can't fathom the difference between K, meg and gig or how ground breaking it was when PCs hit 8 mhz over the old 4.77 mhz models.

Those are nice. I keep an 8GB in the hump just in case. LOVE that price. I may have to grab another.

Ipod music and storage ? Can it hald any type of file . I have a 20 gig iriver player that will .

yeah, you just have to cancel the Itunes auto launch or use a pc that doesnt have Itunes loaded on it.

Then open the ipod from the control panel, it acts as a storage device.

always feared the pod. too expensive for me to accidently drop or break or loose.

isn't the 30 gig drive a moving part also subject to jarring and shock?

Yes, but I figure after it has survived running and riding it should be fine
laugh.gif

a buddy of mine owns a computer shop and he just orderd a 1 tera byte hard drive for a costomer. that is a lot of storage
SHOCKED.gif

I remember the days of not even having a hard drive in the computer, boot off of 1 5.25 true floppy (back when they were really floppy) and then work off the other floppy.

My first computer with any real computing power have a 30 meg hard drive and a 15 vga screen was the pimpness.

Then I got a cd rom and was promoted to king pimp of the block.

Life is moving to fast thats for sure and were all speeding to hell. Gota love it!

(Turbo-Torch @ Aug. 30 2007,17:31)
(justin726 @ Aug. 30 2007,13:48) I think that's about the size of the hard drive on my first computer.  
SHOCKED.gif
Hard drives didn't even exist when I got started.

My first computer (TRS-80 model III) used a cassette deck to store programs and had 16K of ram.
16K upgrade kits were $200 each.  It cost $400 to hit its max of 48K not including installation.
The 5 1/4" floppy disk drive option added $1000 to the price and offered 134K of storage space.
A 5 meg hard drive was eventually released.  Housed in an external case it was close to the size of a cinder block and weighed over 10 lbs.  Price tag was $5,000.00.
Needless to say my Trash 80 stayed barebones for quite a while.

Around '83 I started hacking it and doing major upgrades.  First was getting online with Compuserve.  $12 per hour at 300 baud.  I used it no more than 2 hours a month as I had to mow 2 lawns for each hour I spent online.
Eventually I figured out the telnet phone number offered access to not only Compuserve but computers all over the world.  A NASA switch packing station was my most impressive score followed by the local electric company.

The first hard drive I ever bought was was for my Tandy 1000SL.  It was a monster at 32 meg using RLL encoding verses the older MFM.  It was close to $400 bucks.  

I still have my old Model III and used it every so often for fun up until a few months ago when the power supply caught on fire.  After 26 years something had to fail.  She'll live again though.
smile.gif

I bet most people today can't fathom the difference between K, meg and gig or how ground breaking it was when PCs hit 8 mhz over the old 4.77 mhz models.
Ahhh - the good ole days!
tounge.gif

Taught myself to program on a Commodore VIC-20, then moved up to the Commodore 64! Woohoo. Managed to get TWO 5.25" floppy drives so I could copy games!
biggrin.gif

Ran a BBS from my house in the evenings; 300 baud, baby!
super.gif

Then up to IBM PC - with the MFM and RLL drives!

Taught myself computers and networking - now I'm responsible for the Global network/IT infrastructure for my company... How times change...

(Jester0769 @ Aug. 30 2007,23:05) I remember the days of not even having a hard drive in the computer, boot off of 1 5.25 true floppy (back when they were really floppy) and then work off the other floppy.

My first computer with any real computing power have a 30 meg hard drive and a 15 vga screen was the pimpness.

Then I got a cd rom and was promoted to king pimp of the block.

Life is moving to fast thats for sure and were all speeding to hell. Gota love it!
I still have some 8" floppy disks around...

Also have my original, SINGLE-Speed CD-ROM drive. Paid almost $500 bux for that thing!

(WWJD @ Aug. 30 2007,18:55) always feared the pod.  too expensive for me to accidently drop or break or loose.

isn't the 30 gig drive a moving part also subject to jarring and shock?
I can't have mine on the bike I have to carry it on me or the vibrations get to it .

i got my 8gig but for free of course from our supply..... but i know someone that is selling them for $40 a piece lol plus it is the best of all kingston

(smonroe86 @ Aug. 31 2007,01:44) i got my 8gig but for free of course from our supply.....  but i know someone that is selling them for $40 a piece lol plus it is the best of all kingston
How much are you charging for shipping
rock.gif
LOL

let find me talk to him and ask if he has ever mail any home cause you know our mail system is a little different here, i got mission tonight so i will talk to him tomorrow

Back