I just lowered my cholesterol!

TurboSN95

Registered
Five months ago I got a physical and was told my blood pressure and cholesterol were getting high, I was 31 and did not want to have issues like my dad had (triple bypass and is on meds for this stuff).  So I went to a nutritionst, and I've been eating better (eating according to what is recommended for my blood type),  and I'm really pleased with the results!  I also always have been working out, but now my workouts feel much better since the nutritionist gave me a few tips (interval workouts work well for me I guess!)  

I went from 191 lbs to about 176 lbs.  (Was up to about 204 lbs before that but I fluctuate a lot, and I used to eat like a PIG!).

My blood pressure went from about 138/90 down to about 120/70.

And my cholesterol numbers:

Old numbers:
Cholesterol 231 (125-200 is ok)
HDL 61  ( > or = to 40)
LDL 151  ( < 130 )

New numbers:
Cholesterol 206  (125-200 is ok)
HDL 61  ( > or = to 40)
LDL 132  ( < 130 )

I'm happy, just wanted to share!  Its been a long five months!  
biggrin.gif

And the Busa feels much quicker after shedding that weight!  
tounge.gif

I dropped 35 pounds rather quickly (a couple + months) and
SHOCKED.gif
zowie

How much money do you think you would have to spend to make the busa 35 pounds lighter on it's own
muscle.gif

Congrats
bowdown.gif

Congrats. I have been losing weight like a madman too. I had a couple of surgeries a few years back that sidelined me from my workouts. I got out of the Army and started to grow. I was up around 335 pounds, my bloodpressure was elevated, but the cholesterol was okay. I am down to about 255 right now and have a goal of 215 like I was when I was still in the Army. I just watch my meals and work out.

What is this thing you are talking about "eating according to your blood type"? I never heard of that.

The blood type diet is actually getting more and more popular. My nutritionist isn't a normal nutritionist that suggests following the "food pyramid", instead there are books and charts and info out there that tells you what foods are good/okay/bad for your specific blood type. I am "O+" and I now know that things like potatoes, eggplant, mushrooms, olives, peanuts, backberries, citrus fruits, lentils, alfalfa sprouts, and lots more - are all "damaging" for my blood type. Things like meat, fish, poultry, seafood, kale, collards, broccoli, spinach - they are very good for me to have.

So, with every meal I am supposed to have a 50/50 mix of protein and veggies. For breakfast I'll have some chicken, or steak, eggs, etc, and then I'll throw a bunch of veggies (and now i'll have some fruits) into my Jack La Lane juicer. I'll throw carrots, celery, radishes, fennel, apple, grapes, cucumber, etc - into the juicer and its really good actually. My nutritionist didn't suggest me running out and buying the juicer, I had it and told him I was using it in place of cooking veggies in the morning and he was impressed. Lunch and dinner is the same, try to have some meat and some veggies.

Now that i'm down to a weight that i'm really happy with, i have started to consume more breads and fruits (fruits have sugar in them so he suggests not to have them until your levels are all good, then slowly introduce them back into when you eat), and i'm still maintaining my weight.

Anyways, I feel great and if anyone is interested in getting the name of the guy that I went to here in CT, i'll be more than happy to PM his info to you.

I just won a bench press and leg press "competition" here at work today, never thought that would happen!!!! I benched 255, which put me at 2.45 times my weight. And I leg pressed 565.5 lbs, which got me 3.2 times my weight. Could have done a little more on both, but I got 4 tries and used them all up, slowly increased the weight each time.
beerchug.gif

I was JUST looking up the info on eating for your blood type following a doc appt I had this past Wed.  I have a disease called PCOS, have issues with my body processing insulin (not diabetic), cholesterol is sky high and always has been...anyway, I'm on different drugs that have proven to help with the myriad of side effects of PCOS, but ultimately I just want to be off of all of them and healthy...eating healthy (or what I consider healthy) isn't necessarily working either...after reviewing your list, I see that so many of the things I love, like the citrus fruits, are to be avoided...

I too am O+ and was just deferred for donating blood due to signs of anemia
sad.gif
 Anyway, I left that doc's office wondering how I could change my diet to accomodate my disease and blood type.  I do wonders on low carb, but it's not a feasible long term solution for me.  Doc recommended I look in to the South Beach diet, but I know I won't stick with anything like that either.  I just need to change my habits and thought about the blood type thing...thanks for the info! I'll do more research and give it a try...

Congrats BTW...that's awesome news...
bowdown.gif

VaBusa,

My nutritionist has mentioned insulin levels on every visit, refers to them a lot and another plus for you (if you were to go to this type of diet (i also hate using the diet word - because this is not a diet, its how you should be eating)), is that O+ blood types are the most responsive to change. So if you make a change to your diet, you will see results quicker than other blood types.

O+ blood types are one of the originals, cave men were O+, veggies and meat!!! If you want, I can ask my nutritionist if there are any "coworkers" or someone doing a similar program in your area. I paid $65 per visit, so far i'm up to 3 visits and I think next week will be my 4th and final visit for a while. Maybe i'll go once every 6 months or so just to check my levels. He does a litmus paper and urine test, no blood samples or anything.

I appreciate the offer, but with all of the docs I've had in the last 10 years, I don't feel up to going to another right now. I also live in the sticks; most of my docs are already over an hour away. My endocrinologist keeps a good count on everything for me and with the recent realization of anemia, I'm sure she'll be having me in even more. I go back in 2 months for blood work again...no issues at all with BP, just the insulin resistance and the cholesterol, both of which I'm on meds for 24/7.

I'm interested in finding a book on the "diet" and I like you hate the word 'diet'...I just want to know what's best for me. I was complaining to my doc on Wednesday that I'm eating healthy and my weight isn't down. She noted "well, it's not up either, so you're maintaining" and while that's true, I just don't understand why the way I eat isn't making me feel better. That's the main reason I started researching the whole "eating for your blood type" issue. Just funny that you post up about it and are the same blood type too...it's encouraging to see that you've had great results.

I completely understand. My wife was in a similar situation, had stomach issues, and went to three doctors and got all these annoying tests done. They all told her that she was going to have to live with it. Finally my sister's boyfriend at the time suggested my wife visit his coworker, who is now our nutritionist. ONE visit was all it took for him to tell her "Well it looks like your stomach isn't producing enough acid to break down certain foods that you are eating.... try NOT eating this, and eating this..." A week later she felt MUCH better, no more stomach issues, and soon after she didn't have to take allergy meds and other pills anymore. I was impressed and when I was told I had high BP and cholesterol, I went right to this guy.

When I get home, I'll PM you some info that might be helpful.

That would be great! Thanks so much!

Glad your wife got some relief too...my motto is to never just accept what one doc says, or the next one, or the next one
laugh.gif
I've learned the hard way that you have to self-diagnose and then nudge them along 'til they see the light...

Had my cholesterol checked and it was 230.
I'm 5' 9" and was 175 lbs. I decided to go on a no fat no sugar diet
and brougth it down to 161 in almost 4 months weighing in at 155 ripped lbs.
It was hard work but well worth it. Good job
beerchug.gif

I am going to do a little research on this blood type diet thing. I too am O+ and I know that my body reacts quickly to dietary changes. I have always loved fresh veggies and meat, so I guess I am off to a good start. My main problem when I gained all my weight was that I was still eating like I was super active. I would take in about 5000 calories a day, when I only really needed less then half of that to maintain after my surgeries, so the excess was stored and next thing I knew I was about 120 pounds over weight.

Back