Garage Floors

Hi guys, I'm interested in painting my garage floor for the new arrival (2008 Hayabusa) Would you suggest painting or another option. And if so what kind of paint would you recommed. Thanks for any input.

I used rhe rustoleum garage floor epoxy on mine. it was easy to apply and 4 years later it looks the same as it did the day I put it down. a 2 car garage will set you back about $150 for the kit (you'll need 2 of them at $75 each) plus paint brushes and rollers.

Painting the floors adds a nice touch, but I park my bike on carpet so her feet don't hurt
beerchug.gif

I used garage floor epoxy (from Home Depot or Lowes) for my shop.  In a light grey color.  That was about 5 years ago and it still looks new.

As a professional house painter, I have to say DO NOT paint a garage floor with normal latex or acrylic paint. It will not bond well enough to the floor to stay put. Something as normal as hot car or mototcycle tires can make it lose its adhesion and start to come off of the floor. Use an epoxy. It's made for the application and as stated above will cost you around $160 to do yourself, and will last many years. With paint you will need to repaint every year and will look like crap where the old paint has peeled off and the area has been repainted. You really can't sand the peeled off areas to try to taper the edges. House paint tends to get gummy when the heat from sanding warms it up. This will also make it loose it's grip on the cement, creating a larger problem.

So, Big Wall what do these guys use that looks like clear coating (thick though) on their floors a car or Harley Dealerships
rock.gif
? Base looks like marble with a clear plastic acrylic cover about a inch thick ! Looks  
SHOCKED.gif
Great but no one at the dealership knows, or will tell me  
beerchug.gif

I supervise the batchmaking department of the only Ace Hardware paint factory in the world.  If you see a gallon of Ace paint, it came from me.  

The first thing you should do is scrub the concrete with acetone to remove all traces of oil, etc.  A good epoxy would be the best thing to put on a garage floor.  We have it on our floors and it withstands forklift traffic and mineral spirits being on it everyday.  We used a two part epoxy that is rather expensive, but it works. Conventional floor paints work poorly on garage floors. Car tires get hot as the car is driven, and when the hot tires come in contact with the floor paint, the paints sticks to the tires and is lifted off.  Many gloss floor paints are slippery when wet and a nonskid additive should be considered.

epoxy is the only way to go... a DIY kit doesn't cost a whole lot. The most important part is the prep work. Get that floor completely clean first. One word of caution... once you make your floor look nice you'll want to repaint the walls in your garage as well!
beerchug.gif

I also put down rubber mats from home depot for my bike to sit on.

P1222257.jpg

OK you paint experts. I have a spot in the garage, under the work bench, that was painted before. Not sure what kind of paint was used but it is chipping and coming up. Will a powerwasher take it up enough to apply one of the products you are talking about or is acetone the hot setup?

(300Busa @ Aug. 23 2007,00:23) I supervise the batchmaking department of the only Ace Hardware paint factory in the world.  If you see a gallon of Ace paint, it came from me.  

The first thing you should do is scrub the concrete with acetone to remove all traces of oil, etc.  A good epoxy would be the best thing to put on a garage floor.  We have it on our floors and it withstands forklift traffic and mineral spirits being on it everyday.  We used a two part epoxy that is rather expensive, but it works. Conventional floor paints work poorly on garage floors. Car tires get hot as the car is driven, and when the hot tires come in contact with the floor paint, the paints sticks to the tires and is lifted off.  Many gloss floor paints are slippery when wet and a nonskid additive should be considered.
WOW, CAN WE GET A GROUP BUY GOING FOR A DIRECT SHIPMENT I NEED ENOUGH FOR A 3 CAR. J/K, UNLESS YOU CAN
race.gif

(GSXcite @ Aug. 23 2007,10:22) OK you paint experts. I have a spot in the garage, under the work bench, that was painted before. Not sure what kind of paint was used but it is chipping and coming up. Will a powerwasher take it up enough to apply one of the products you are talking about or is acetone the hot setup?
If it is just a little area, try spraying some carb. cleaner on it and let it sit for 10 min. Then just take a putty knife and scoop it up. That is what we have to use now, since the methochloride in stripper is too harmful for the employees. It works awesome on oil paint and okay on latex. The powerwasher might do the trick, depending on how brittle the paint is. It will make more of a mess than some stripper or carb. cleaner also.

(PUNN1025 @ Aug. 23 2007,11:flamethrowing:)
(300Busa @ Aug. 23 2007,00:23) I supervise the batchmaking department of the only Ace Hardware paint factory in the world.  If you see a gallon of Ace paint, it came from me.  

WOW, CAN WE GET A GROUP BUY GOING FOR A DIRECT SHIPMENT I NEED ENOUGH FOR A 3 CAR. J/K, UNLESS YOU CAN  
race.gif
Sorry, I can't do that. I get any paint that we make for $3 a gallon, but I am limited to 20 gallons per year. It isn't worth my job to get caught selling the stuff on the streets either...
wink.gif

(ibified @ Aug. 21 2007,03:21) I used rhe rustoleum garage floor epoxy on mine. it was easy to apply and 4 years later it looks the same as it did the day I put it down. a 2 car garage will set you back about $150 for the kit (you'll need 2 of them at $75 each) plus paint brushes and rollers.
+1... looks great and easy to clean up spills

(DaCol. @ Aug. 22 2007,13:47) So, Big Wall what do these guys use that looks like clear coating (thick though) on their floors a car or Harley Dealerships
rock.gif
? Base looks like marble with a clear plastic acrylic cover about a inch thick ! Looks  
SHOCKED.gif
Great but no one at the dealership knows, or will tell me  
beerchug.gif
Sorry dude, but I don't do floors. I've just seen the results of people doing it the wrong way. Ask at a flooring store, they should be able to tell you what it is. I know that there were products for bar tops that went on really thick and were very, very tough, but they aren't available anymore because of the chemicals in them.

(GSXcite @ Aug. 23 2007,01:22) OK you paint experts. I have a spot in the garage, under the work bench, that was painted before. Not sure what kind of paint was used but it is chipping and coming up. Will a powerwasher take it up enough to apply one of the products you are talking about or is acetone the hot setup?
A powerwasher probably will not take the paint off. The best bet would probably be a paint stripper. It may take a few applications and a lot of scraping to get it off though. Ask a paint store for what product to use.

Thanks guys. I'm going to do this when it cools off some. Big problem is FINDING the garage floor!
SHOCKED.gif

(GSXcite @ Aug. 26 2007,16:51) Thanks guys. I'm going to do this when it cools off some. Big problem is FINDING the garage floor!
SHOCKED.gif
Build yourself that new garage out back...then you'll see it...

...right after they pour it!!
poke.gif

laugh.gif

(ibified @ Aug. 21 2007,13:21) I used rhe rustoleum garage floor epoxy on mine.  it was easy to apply and 4 years later it looks the same as it did the day I put it down. a 2 car garage will set you back about $150 for the kit (you'll need 2 of them at $75 each) plus paint brushes and rollers.
Did the same to mine but found out brake fluid is not it's friend. With the exception of a few spots, it still looks great after 4 years.

Back