Need Advice and Opinions

BusaBret

Almost......
Donating Member
Registered
Got a new entertainment center and our current tv is too small and outdated. It is only 31" and looks even smaller in the new EC. Been looking at new LCD and Plasmas and was wondering who here has one and what would the electronic gurus recommend?

Picture of new E.C.

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

Opening for tv is 51 x 38. I am looking in the 46" to 50" range.

I have on of the new Vizio LCD tv's from costco in the 47" size. The LCD is a better way to go than the plasma. I sold my plasma to get an LCD because the plasmas can get burn lines in them from video games or your cable tv's menu. Also the plasmas need time to break in smetimes up to 200 hrs before the picture looks good. Also the plasma will never be as clear as the lcd because of the lcd tv having more defined resolution patterns. The LCD is the way to go and the reason that companies liek sony are dropping their plasma offerings in favor of LCD. Get an LCD, you will not be dissapointed.

DSC00676.JPG

(Cblast @ Aug. 18 2007,10:57) I have on of the new Vizio LCD tv's from costco in the 47" size. The LCD is a better way to go than the plasma. I sold my plasma to get an LCD because the plasmas can get burn lines in them from video games or your cable tv's menu. Also the plasmas need time to break in smetimes up to 200 hrs before the picture looks good. Also the plasma will never be as clear as the lcd because of the lcd tv having more defined resolution patterns. The LCD is the way to go and the reason that companies liek sony are dropping their plasma offerings in favor of LCD. Get an LCD, you will not be dissapointed.
Thanks for the info! That is exactly why I posted this here!
beerchug.gif

Excuse the boxes, I am in the middle of unpacking our house. that is my daughter Olivia trying to see what i am taking a pic of in the first one. I use a Marantz 7000 series receiver to drive a 7.1 Infinity Surround system. the TV is a great compliment to a good home theatre and a lot less than people think. I think mine was under $2000. Worth every penny.
super.gif

(BusaBret @ Aug. 18 2007,07:45) Got a new entertainment center and our current tv is too small and outdated. It is only 31" and looks even smaller in the new EC. Been looking at new LCD and Plasmas and was wondering who here has one and what would the electronic gurus recommend?

Picture of new E.C.

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

I might be able to help shed some "Cost Savings" light here for top notch TV veiwing on a budget...check it out...I researched the he11 out of this and shopped my heart out going for Bang Fer Buck HD TV....and here's what i came up with when our old analog set burned up this past christmas holidays...with a 'lotta help from Nitrous Junkie

TV3.jpg

In my research?...I concluded the following...

1. "Projection" TV's suck...if ya ain't starr'in at'em dead on?..they wash out easy at mild angle viewing.

2. "Plasma Gas"?: Way too expensive...waaay high maintainance..with real low long term reliability.

3. "LCD"?: Pretty sweet really....as long as you stay far far away from "polaroid"..however?....even the current crop of LCD's can still be "Ambient Light Sensitive"...and relective light can wash out the picture quality a tad...and "PIXEL DEATH"...is now and always will be an issue with LCD...which could really suck...if ya get stuck....also?..special screen cleaning fluids/methods come into play.

4. "Good O'le CRT HDTV": which is what my new sony XBR34 Trinitron is...and there's only two companys left still making widescreen CRT HDTV sets....sony and samsung...hence?...they are a tremedous bargain...and some gurus still advocate that nothing out there can match match the old CRT gas tubes for viewing perfomance (under any lighting conditions)....and this has been the first set i've seen where it doesn't care if the blinds in the livingroom or sliding glass doors are open on a sunny afternoon..ZERO LIGHT WASHOUT and extremely 100% viewable from all angles by anyone in the room...maintainance?...nearly non-existant...wipe the screen down once a month with windex...2 years "IN-HOUSE" service warranty....and HD comparable to any Plasma or LCD...and all for about 1/3rd the cost of a plasma and 1/2 the cost of an LCD.

The only downside?...they are on the endangered species list...upside?...it has a killer sound system but weighs like 190lbs..the good news?...ain't nobody i know that gonna tuck it under their arm and run down the street with it like they could with an LCD or plasma.
laugh.gif

Just another option...something to consider...and i think sony makes a 40"er XBR widescreen.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

I have plasma, LCD, and DLP TV's in the house. Preferences can be based as much on the particular brand/model of a unit as anything else. In my house, the best "picture" is the DLP. The blacks are deeper and the colors are more vibrant. But, it takes a minute to warm up and I can see the "rainbow effect". It also loses a lot if your viewing angle is too high/low or off to the side. The plasma is very bright. Works well in a brightly lit room. The LCD is nice, but I can see the pixels too easily. Off center viewing loses some also.

Again, a lot depends upon the brand/model.

A tip: Look at the TV from a viewing angle higher, lower, and off to each side. Does the intensity of the image, or it's color, change? Look at it in a bright room (most stores dim the lights in the TV area). Is the image too washed out? In the case of a DLP, try to find a source that has a lot of contrasting black and white images, then scan the image with your eyes to the left and right quickly. Do you see an after image rainbow of colors?

Personally look at the TV you want to buy. Know the source material you are viewing through the TV. Do your homework. Find the best price. Then, enjoy it. Oh, one last consideration: DO NOT CHECK THE PRICES AFTER YOU HAVE PURCHASED THE UNIT! (Unless, you can get a rebate if the price is lowered within a certain period of time). The technology moves so fast that prices do drop quickly. There is nothing worse that buying a unit only to see it drop in price by 30% three months later.

Good luck!
beerchug.gif

(BusaBret @ Aug. 18 2007,10:45) Got a new entertainment center and our current tv is too small and outdated. It is only 31" and looks even smaller in the new EC. Been looking at new LCD and Plasmas and was wondering who here has one and what would the electronic gurus recommend?

Picture of new E.C.

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

That's a damn nice entertainment center. Do you mind if I ask where you aquired it? I am looking for a new one as well to fit my new TV when it arrives, and really like that style.

(HeloMech74 @ Aug. 18 2007,15:28)
(BusaBret @ Aug. 18 2007,10:45) Got a new entertainment center and our current tv is too small and outdated. It is only 31" and looks even smaller in the new EC. Been looking at new LCD and Plasmas and was wondering who here has one and what would the electronic gurus recommend?

Picture of new E.C.

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

That's a damn nice entertainment center. Do you mind if I ask where you aquired it? I am looking for a new one as well to fit my new TV when it arrives, and really like that style.
A local store that buys out overstocks and going out of business furniture stores. The retail tag from the furniture store was still on it and marked $1798.00 we got it out the door for $800. Brand name is Pulaski and it is solid oak. Very nice and VERY heavy piece. I am well pleased. Now just to fill it up with a TV.

Thanks for the compliment!

Don't forget to figure in the speakers on your TV if/when you get one..... They can add several inches to the cabinet size. I have to agree with the last couple of post. The end use and location of your tv will ultimately decide what you do. I have all three as well, each is better suited for certain aspects. My Plasma is 50", 50" DLP, & 36" LCD; Do your research and find a match that best suites you!

I have a 37" Vizio in the office and use a projector in the den. The Vizio seems to be a relly good buy . Has a great picture! I recommend for the price. Only 800 for the 37 inch

I bought plasma a couple years ago and it is GREAT, but I wouldn't get another one. No burn in problems - some ghosting that fades quickly, but LCD's look as good now, are cheaper and better without the gas issue. Personally, I can't go projector style dew to video gaming lag and angle of view. I HATE the view angle on projection TVs

IF my plasma dies tomorrow and I wnt shopping, I would first try to get a 1080P CRT glass screen because they are just the bomb, and I've not seen LCD or plasma look as good as glass. Next I would get the largest 1080P LCD I could afford.
Plasma is cool and sharp, bright, but kinda on the way out.

my 2 cents

(WWJD @ Aug. 19 2007,10:22) I bought plasma a couple years ago and it is GREAT, but I wouldn't get another one. No burn in problems - some ghosting that fades quickly, but LCD's look as good now, are cheaper and better without the gas issue. Personally, I can't go projector style dew to video gaming lag and angle of view. I HATE the view angle on projection TVs

IF my plasma dies tomorrow and I wnt shopping, I would first try to get a 1080P CRT glass screen because they are just the bomb, and I've not seen LCD or plasma look as good as glass. Next I would get the largest 1080P LCD I could afford.
Plasma is cool and sharp, bright, but kinda on the way out.

my 2 cents
So far the biggest down side to LCD is the refresh rate. I do not see where that would be a problem except for gaming though. I went shopping last night and looked at both. Of all the top brands in 50" looks to be $2K to $3k. From the research I have done and reading back thru the replies here it seems to be which your personal preference is. In the store setting both being equal TO ME the plasma seemed to be the truest or most accurate picture.

LCD's Generate alot of heat though... i'd be cautious of putting it in that entertainment center. I have a 46" Samsung LCD and love it. I game on it all the time and it looks great with xbox 360 and HD programing. If you get one make sure you let it cool before closing up the doors on it.

i have a plasma and an lcd. they are both very nice. im a believer in you get what you pay for so go with a top brand and you wont be disappointed in either

Back