Anyone into Mercedes?

Turbo-Torch

Donating Member
Registered
A guy I know is selling his black 2001 S600. He has about 20 other cars plus 2 Learjets so it hasn't seen much use. Current mileage is about 34K and it looks new. No starmark extended warranty that I know about.

A friend of mine who works at this guy's company as head of maintenance flat out tells me the car is a "piece of sh!t" (he's a BMW fanatic though).

He said the front end has already been rebuilt once and at 34K it's starting to get loose again.
rock.gif
This doesn't sound right for a car that initially cost $100K+. He thinks it's due to the weight of the V12 engine but after looking up the specs, it only weighs 490 lbs.

Just kicking around the idea for now as I'm pretty sure I can get a killer deal on the car. I do find the depreciation a bit disturbing so there may be more to these cars that I don't know about.
rock.gif

rock.gif

You can always buy it and resell it. Their not the worst cars out there, but their certainly not worth the money. Go American!
beerchug.gif

Just ask him if you can take it to a Mercedes dealer for inspection...you'll have to pay the dealer for the inspection, however, but worth the peace of mind.

Reactions: pcs
(stlbusarider @ Aug. 13 2007,22:21) You can always buy it and resell it. Their not the worst cars out there, but their certainly not worth the money. Go American!
beerchug.gif
The best American car is the average Mercedes. I don't know about the car in question, just a generalization.

(Over_Easy @ Aug. 13 2007,23:08) Just ask him if you can take it to a Mercedes dealer for inspection...you'll have to pay the dealer for the inspection, however, but worth the peace of mind.
+1

My wife and I currently own 2, a brand new C350 4Matic, and a E500 that is 2 years old.  If the car looks good, take it to a dealer and have it thoroughly inspected.  they will be straight with you.  MB dealers are generally very good.  I absolutely will not buy another brand of car ever again.  Only those that don't own them can not justify the cost.  Once you own one and drive it everyday, whenever you get into another vehicle, you will find yourself being very critical.  Buy It!

DSC00662.JPG

My wife and I have owned 5 Benzes over the years and that V12 is worth every penny, my grandfather currently drives one (600), and my Dad just bought a new 07. Ask him if you can take the car for the night, drive it home, take it out for a late night cruise, I am telling you, there is nothing on the road like a Merc. It is impossible to explain it so you will understand but once you drive one, it is imposible to understand driving anything else.

Find out what the maintenance costs are before you buy it.

--Wag--

(Rainer3012 @ Aug. 14 2007,09:02) +1 nothing like $40 oil filters. Those hidden costs can kill ya.
Maybe on some exotics, but the oil fliter for that Benz is about $7. I'm a Benz fan; my wife drives a C280 and I have a 380SL.

I appoligize beforehand....
A car is for getting from Point A to Point B.
Toyota Corolla....ok.
Cheapest to fix, best on gas, enough creature comforts, they go a million miles and you have enough money left over for Busa mods.

GOOD CHOICE IN CAR. I HAVE A 2005 S500 4MATIC, THE CAR IS AWESOME. PLEASE HAVE IT INSPECTED, BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT CHEAP TO HAVE IT FIXED. DO YOUR HOMEWORK ON THIS CAR. JUST DON'T GET RIPED OFF.

Im a BMW owner but I say NO, Dont get it. The 600 is a V12 which is not ment to have allot of miles. Take a look at a Lambo they are 10 years old and about 20K on them tops. Its not a good car, you will pay allot to fix it. My dads friend bought Vade Divac his S600, u know the dude that plays for Lakers then Kings then back to Lakers, trust me if you really want it get a S500 just not a V12 anything less is better. U will see Y once you have to pay 300+ to fix the rear sun shade. Its not worth it. Smaller engines are the best something like a 6 cylinder. Me I think the BMW 530i is one of the best for the money and like a 2001 the E39 body. Best engine not too small or big just right. I have a M3 so im happy with the 6 cylinder.

I had my eye's on a 4matic s500 today nice car. I just can't get over the
fact that the last time I looked benz's were not even in the top ten for reliability. That s500 was sweet lookin.

Do your home work
argue.gif
Mercedes Benz is the BEST for customer service...part of this is to hide their problems
sad.gif

It will cost you a small fortune to keep that V12 on the road if it has problems
all_coholic.gif

Back