L.E.O's dont come in this post

darth frosty

Registered
I just got off of work (a 12 hour shift)
rant.gif
I just went through the light entering the freeway. I got my mp3 on and metalica's 'enter the sandman' had just come on. Than I hear this cop blurp his horn. I look back, he got the flashers going. I pull to the shoulder wondering what the deal is (I didn't have time to get up to speed.)

Than this lil short stubby black cop comes out the squad car, almost yelling at me like I'm a little boy, 'Why did you remove your license bracket? You cant relocate your bracket.' Immediately I see we have a case, as the Ice Cube song goes, of black police showing out for the white cop.

I'm like hey I replaced the undertail and I thought as long as the plate is horizontal its cool. He starts up again about how its against the law and all this jazz. I realize that its best that I remain calm and not say anything to this idiot. I give him my papers (thankfully just yesterday I got my new insurance.)

Mean while the white cop is cool with an attitude like Hey I gotta ride with this jerk for 8 hours. I ask him, if this is such a big deal why is it that almost every other car passing us right now has the plate in the back window? He gives me this look like dude I didn't want to stop you in the first place.

So I chill out on the hill, while he writes me a ticket for improper plate display (a $96 fine.) I stand over there and enjoy the sun and blue sky. The black cop comes out the squad car and gives me my papers back and the ticket. Ole boy is still trying to chastise me like I'm a kid or something. I guess he didn't notice that I'm a 35 year old man with nothing on my record.

I don't mind the ticket, But don't treat me like some piece of sh!# and get all huffy on me, just because you cant have or afford the baddest bike out there. Don't hate on me cause my bike sittin on the side of the road is going faster than anything you own has ever gone.

Just curious, have you looked up the law yet to verify that you were in the wrong? Should be an online link for your state. Read it carefully, and if you can squeeze within the guidelines, by all means fight it. Just because they're cops doesn't mean they're always right. It's about interpetation. lots of custom bikes display tags in other places than stock Good luck

Check your state VTL(Vehicle and Traffic Law). You should be able to do it online. Look up what section he wrote you for and check out what it says. If it says there is a height/mounting requirement and you are not within it, then you pay.
sad.gif
If there is no stated requirement, take a picture of bike and plate and take it with you to court. You win.  
super.gif

Oh, and just for the record, I just came in here looking for a donut...  
SHOCKED.gif

When I click the pic link, all I get is a pic of a girl standing on a counter with a big Kisses sign behind her?
SHOCKED.gif

dont know about your state, but in cali the law is not very specific. it only states it has to be mounted at the rear most portion of the vehicle...im a copper too, but it sounds like this guy had a nut on for you. like everyone else said, look it up and take it to court.

(PDBusa @ Jul. 13 2007,20:35) Check your state VTL(Vehicle and Traffic Law). You should be able to do it online. Look up what section he wrote you for and check out what it says. If it says there is a height/mounting requirement and you are not within it, then you pay.
sad.gif
If there is no stated requirement, take a picture of bike and plate and take it with you to court. You win.  
super.gif

SHOCKED.gif
laugh.gif

It bugs me when other people can throw a black cloud overhead.

Now, when you're already dealing with everything else in your life, you have this negativity/acid situation to sort out.

and for WHAT (?), I ask.

Look, I have won many court cases in my years (defending myself), Do your homework. In your local area go to any custome chopper dealer and get all the pic's you can of their plates mounted just like your plate is, and we are talking about bikes that are being sold with this liscense plate bracket setup, and take those pic's to court and you will not lose. That's what I would do.....

I hear in my fair state of Tennessee that the troopers are using tag placement as a gateway offense to pull you over so they can check your license, registration and insurance documents. O yea, if you don't have your insurance card with you it's a $100 fine.
argue.gif

So far you have gotten some great ideas.

In GA most officers won't give you a ticket for a tag that has been mounted on the swingarm. However, there is a law that states you have to have your tag on the rear most part of your vehicle. If you move your tag you have the opportunity to be pulled, but it won't stand in court.

Big Dog, Thunder Mountain, Bourget, and many other custom choppers are sold with the tag mounted sideways on the swingarm.

(PDBusa @ Jul. 13 2007,20:35) Check your state VTL(Vehicle and Traffic Law). You should be able to do it online. Look up what section he wrote you for and check out what it says. If it says there is a height/mounting requirement and you are not within it, then you pay.
sad.gif
super.gif

SHOCKED.gif
laugh.gif

Before I changed my plate I went to the DPS office (State Troupers), I had to wait a little but the LEO that came down was cool. I told him what I wanted to do, but didn't want to spend a lot of money if they were going to make me put it right back. Here in Texas it goes, "as long as it visable from the rear and lighted its OK". Been followed many a time but never pulled over or asked about my plate.

Whether that cop was black, white, asian, or hispanic ... the bottom line is he was a prick!

Back